Why become a member? ×

Keeping a band diary

voodoobassman

Does anyone have any good ideas about how to keep some kind of online group year planner thingy so all the members of a band can keep an eye on available dates? With 5 members in our band, all of whom have their own lives and commitments and all of whom are constantly on the outlook for gigs, it makes it tricky to accept a gig booking withiout checking everybody's up to date diaries.

What would be ideal I guess would be something that could be checked on a mobile phone.

It occurs to me that businesses must have the same problem in ensuring that their people are all available to carry out a job before accepting a contract.

Any ideas??

What you want is everyone to have a blackberry, then you make a group, its awesome, and its fun when 2 members don't have it, as then you can slag them off without them ever knowing, haha.

Just gone through something similar to this with my Soul band.

Facebook group was the answer. I started it as a hidden private group that you can only join by invitation, then added the members. Noone else can see or join it so its good in that respect. I've used it to post links, dates, lyrics, chords etc. Not sure about an actuall calender function though....

We tried the google calendar and having a Google group for discussions. The group worked better than the calendar but it was a good idea in theory. You have to set a rule to say it's individuals responsible to update or it is a bit pointless. Some members were certainly better than others with it

We use Google calendar - except that we dont. We were supposed to but what actually happens is that everyone emails or texts me the dates that they can't do and I update this on the calendar and on a A4 sheet calendar that I keep in my wallet. This only works though because I'm the one who does all the gig booking.

Whatever method you use, just make sure everyone understands it and follows it. Good luck with that!