Why become a member? ×

Which preamp/DI pedal for tube-y goodness and grit?

Clarky

[quote name='mikebass78' post='722356' date='Jan 23 2010, 05:39 PM']I bought one recently and I'm very very happy with it, taken it on tour and played through house amps and just sounds great, but haven't get it sounding really dirty yet ( I do need to take some more time to tweak things)[/quote]

Correction : didn't buy one of those, bought one of these
DHA VT2-Twin-Std-Bass 2 channel tube overdrive for Bass

[quote name='mikebass78' post='723986' date='Jan 25 2010, 12:24 PM']Correction : didn't buy one of those, bought one of these
DHA VT2-Twin-Std-Bass 2 channel tube overdrive for Bass[/quote]
Thanks Mike but does that run on battery or PSU only?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='723975' date='Jan 25 2010, 12:12 PM']Ive just started using my Behrigner BDI21 at gigs and im really impressed with it. I know not many people like Behringer but for £25 its a good cheap alternative to the Sansamp and by all accounts pretty close, tone wise.

Your welcome to borrow it for a few gigs if you want to try it out.

Like you i wanted something simple but it does seem all these sort of units have more than i would ever use. Saying that, i guess its nice to have some extra features, just in case.[/quote]
Cheers for offer Dave, its certainly cheap! Am still weighing up alternatives. Don't mind paying more (>£100) if there's a slam dunk pedal for what I need.

[quote name='Clarky' post='723995' date='Jan 25 2010, 12:32 PM']Cheers for offer Dave, its certainly cheap! Am still weighing up alternatives. Don't mind paying more (>£100) if there's a slam dunk pedal for what I need.[/quote]

No problem.

Im tempted to get a "real" BDDI soon but i wanted to make sure its going to do the job so dug out the BDI21 to use for now, and so far its working. I only got it a few years ago as i was doing a big gig without a rig. The PA was around 10k i believe. The sound guys were very impressed with this little box, no problems with noise or harsh tone (when used with the right settings) and out front i had a fantastic tone. I then put it away and never thought about it again until last month. it does add a nice depth to my basses and warms up the MB heads nicely.
Im not really after distortion, just something to give me a meatier tone and its certainly doing that. Im not using it as a pedal, just on most of the time.

I was very tempted to get the Bass VT but it seems to be more a simulator and i don't really need that. I just plan on having something sitting on my amp so i can tweak it when needed.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='724005' date='Jan 25 2010, 12:46 PM']I was very tempted to get the Bass VT but it seems to be more a simulator and i don't really need that. I just plan on having something sitting on my amp so i can tweak it when needed.[/quote]
I did have a VT bass which sounded really great (closer to a tube amp than a BDDI) but it had no DI so it was 'just a pedal'. If it had a DI I would still own it and this thread would not exist!

[quote name='Clarky' post='724010' date='Jan 25 2010, 12:50 PM']I did have a VT bass which sounded really great (closer to a tube amp than a BDDI) but it had no DI so it was 'just a pedal'. If it had a DI I would still own it and this thread would not exist![/quote]

Ah right. I'll be interested in your thoughts if you do get a BDDI. For me a XLR isn't needed so maybe the VT should still be on the short list.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='724018' date='Jan 25 2010, 12:55 PM']Ah right. I'll be interested in your thoughts if you do get a BDDI. For me a XLR isn't needed so maybe the VT should still be on the short list.[/quote]
If you want to add some drive or tubey-ness and don't need a DI/XLR I can't imagine there is anything much better than a VT out there Dave, great sounding pedal.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='724005' date='Jan 25 2010, 12:46 PM']I was very tempted to get the Bass VT but it seems to be more a simulator and i don't really need that. I just plan on having something sitting on my amp so i can tweak it when needed.[/quote]

It is a simulator, but then so is the BDDI, it just has XLR too and a different, less Ampeg-ey sound and less tone options.

[quote name='Clarky' post='724020' date='Jan 25 2010, 12:58 PM']If you want to add some drive or tubey-ness and don't need a DI/XLR I can't imagine there is anything much better than a VT out there Dave, great sounding pedal.[/quote]

+1

One thing I'm not sure if a lot of people realise, is that although the VT only has a 1/4" output, it is still a low impedance output and more than adequate for running straight into a mixer or power amp. It is a [i]very[/i] high output pedal, as opposed to most stompboxes which AFAIK are high impedance (low output). Sure, this wont allow you to run to both an amp [i]and[/i] mixer simultaneously, but if you want to do one or the other there should be no problem, provided your mixer has a 1/4" input free.

Edited by redzombie

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='724060' date='Jan 25 2010, 01:40 PM']Having just spent the weekend in the studio not using my Mesa Boogie 400+ I have to say the Catalinbread SFT with a separate DI gives the most amazing tone.[/quote]

hmm, a catalinbread SFT always appealed to me, if i can only justify having a second o/d pedal on the board :)

[quote name='redzombie' post='724089' date='Jan 25 2010, 02:06 PM']It is a simulator, but then so is the BDDI, it just has XLR too and a different, less Ampeg-ey sound and less tone options.

+1

One thing I'm not sure if a lot of people realise, is that although the VT only has a 1/4" output, it is still a low impedance output and more than adequate for running straight into a mixer or power amp. It is a [i]very[/i] high output pedal, as opposed to most stompboxes which AFAIK are high impedance (low output). Sure, this wont allow you to run to both an amp [i]and[/i] mixer simultaneously, but if you want to do one or the other there should be no problem, provided your mixer has enough 1/4" inputs free.[/quote]

Cheers guys. I does look like it might be a good, cheaper option.

Damn, this thread has just cost me money. I was promising myself not to spend any this week as i need ot get a new pup for the DD.

I have a Hartke VXL, MXR M80, and an Ampeg SVP-Pro. and I struggle to get any of 'em to do what I want!!!
Hartke's got a super clean tone. The MXR's built like a tank, but both still just sound like jar of wasps (but less so than an ODB-3!)
The Ampeg has an almost liquid mid-range, and will do anything from mild OD to full on scream-athon. It seems to lose bottom end, though. And it isn't footswitchable in a distortion sense.

The quest for an ideal distortion unit continues...

[quote name='GazWills' post='724023' date='Jan 25 2010, 01:00 PM']i've currently got an ElectroniX Submarine on order. By all accounts, very tubey, bassman-esque sound, small, simple and runs off a battery... hopefully arrives in a couple of weeks, so i'll report back![/quote]
Hi Gaz (and welcome to BC!). I took a look at this on the web after you posted. It certainly fits the bill for small, simple, neat and apparently very tube-y sounding ... but unfortunately no DI/XLR :-(

[quote name='MythSte' post='722165' date='Jan 23 2010, 01:52 PM']If you dont like the mid scoop of the sansamp i think you'll find the MXR in the same boat tone wise. I happen to love it, but it does remove mids![/quote]

I have to disagree on that one - the BDDI and M80 are completely different beasts. The colur option on the M80 boosts the bass quite heavily, maybe giving the illusion of a scoop - but I think the BDDI has a habit of making all bass sound the same - therefore - I would vote the M80 for tonal options.

The only thing holding me back is that T21 have announced a new range of the Character pedals with a cab simulator defeat switch. But, the VT bass isn't in this line up. Im going to hold out for a week or so in case they do add it.
Not interested in the new programmable VT Bass.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='724509' date='Jan 25 2010, 08:22 PM']I have a Hartke VXL, MXR M80, and an Ampeg SVP-Pro. and I struggle to get any of 'em to do what I want!!!
Hartke's got a super clean tone. The MXR's built like a tank, but [i]both still just sound like jar of wasps [/i](but less so than an ODB-3!)
The Ampeg has an almost liquid mid-range, and will do anything from mild OD to full on scream-athon. It seems to lose bottom end, though. And it isn't footswitchable in a distortion sense.

The quest for an ideal distortion unit continues...[/quote]

I love my VXL's dirty tones - from light grit to heavy tubey dirt & everything in between. I've not heard mine make the jar-of-wasps buzz sound at all.

Mark

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='725584' date='Jan 26 2010, 07:59 PM']I love my VXL's dirty tones - from light grit to heavy tubey dirt & everything in between. I've not heard mine make the jar-of-wasps buzz sound at all.

Mark[/quote]

I tested the Hartke VXL, the MXR M80 and the Aguilar Tone Hammer last week. Test bass was a 3300 Euro Fender CS Precision over a Glockenklang BassArt plus Glock Take five cab.
All boxes sounded good but I liked the Hartke best for its tube sounds! Wow, it makes a tube amp out of every transistor. The Aguilar and the Dunlop sounded more flat or clean, maybe the better boxes for recordings. But I wantet something for my live stuff. I love the sound of my set up (Trace MKV, old trace cabs) but I don't want to miss the Hartke since I own it! It was the cheapest box surprisingly enough. Try it out!

I have got the Sansamp Bass Driver Deluxe and am really happy with it- just the tone I was looking for-and also lots of other tonal options if I need them. Very quiet pedal with a high output- built like a tank and simple to use. No problem not having a mid control as effectively cutting bass and treble adds midrange! However I use the tone controls flat mostly.

Best pedal I have evr bought.

Bob