Why become a member? ×

Can you tune a B string to D?

davidmpires

What it says on the title.
I have to learn a new song for the band that involves drop D, although I have the B string, fingering wise would be alot easier if I had the B string tuned to D. I don't really want to detune just for one song.

The song is Slither btw

Anyone plays it on a 5 string?

Thanks

I would detune the E or learn it from 3rd on the B, something like

--------------------------------------
------------------3------------------
----1-2---4-5------4-5---3---1-2-
--3-----3------3--------3---3-------

When I played it on a 6 I detuned my E to D and B to A

Edited by d-basser

[quote name='d-basser' post='715121' date='Jan 16 2010, 07:22 PM']I would detune the E or learn it from 3rd on the B, something like

------------------3------------------
----1-2---4-5------4-5---3---1-2-
--3-----3------3--------3---3-------

When I played it on a 6 I detuned my E to D and B to A[/quote]

Yeah I've been playing that way now, but it doesn't sound the same, I think i need to tidy up. Thanks guys

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='715168' date='Jan 16 2010, 08:27 PM']I used to cover this. I found fretting it on the B was a hell of a job seeing as it's fast and as you said, doesn't sound the same. I'd be worried about the neck tension tuning the B to D, hence why I just did BDADG for the one song save risking it.[/quote]

We'll see how it goes on monday at rehearsals. I've learned both ways to be able to switch and play the way it sounds best.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='715214' date='Jan 16 2010, 09:23 PM']You could try a capo on the 3rd fret - instead D standard tuning![/quote]
capo ..... on a bass ......????

see what BC wars that can cause!

cant remember the thread title now but ...boy... some guys got cross about that one.....not bothered mesen ...just DONT :)

You could always just pick up a cheap S/H 4 string and have it pretuned to drop D. Most players take a back up bass to gigs which they don't use 99% of the time so have one that you do use. You can then retune it back to normal in the break if you do 2 sets then it will be there as a 'normal' backup for one set.