Why become a member? ×

price of musicman bass's

woolz

[quote name='woolz' post='711062' date='Jan 13 2010, 11:08 AM']i cant see the logic of the old vs new musicman prices.

people are selling old musicman basses, some from early 90's. just as much or even more than you can buy a new one for?

someone explain this to me?[/quote]

There isn't an explanation. Have you seen the price of 1960s Fender Jazzes?? I'm quite sure that some people will swear blind that they sound better or have some other intrinsic value. I guess it's just cool to have a pre-CBS Fender, a Pre-Ernie Ball MM, a pre-Gibson-suing-you whatever.....

Edited by Johngh

Think its to do with that thing which always comes up with selling guitars - 'the earlier ones were so much better'.

I believe this is sometimes true, but as in the case with Musicman often not! IMO their basses have been fairly consistent
throughout,with new models still maintaining high standards of finish&quality etc. Certain periods have probably seen better/prettier
woods being used,but this is mostly down to availability and cost - the same factors affecting all manufacturers.
There will always be subtle variations which make some instruments more or less appealing to some - 'one mans meat' etc.
My favourite Stingray was a 2001 model, again IMO a nicer instrument than a 1979 model I'd previously owned.

Older BCers will probably remember the mid 70's period as being not the best period for Fender instruments, and yet now they are
fetching 'vintage' prices - its all down to rarity/desirability/fashion and a lot of snake oil!

I've got a pre EB Stingray. It's nice, probably is cool to own, but the new ones are brill as well. If it got nicked I'd just go and buy a new stingray cos' I like them. I wouldn't pay a premium or wait for an another pre EB one to come up.

I have to agree with much of the above.
My own '89 Stingray5 is a lovely instrument but the build consistency of MM basses in general is very good and newer models I've played feel and sound every bit as good.
That said, my SR5 has a lived-in look and feel that, for me, only comes with age.

Edited by Stingray5

[quote name='casapete' post='711147' date='Jan 13 2010, 12:04 PM']Think its to do with that thing which always comes up with selling guitars - 'the earlier ones were so much better'.

I believe this is sometimes true, but as in the case with Musicman often not! IMO their basses have been fairly consistent
throughout,with new models still maintaining high standards of finish&quality etc. Certain periods have probably seen better/prettier
woods being used,but this is mostly down to availability and cost - the same factors affecting all manufacturers.
There will always be subtle variations which make some instruments more or less appealing to some - 'one mans meat' etc.
My favourite Stingray was a 2001 model, again IMO a nicer instrument than a 1979 model I'd previously owned.

Older BCers will probably remember the mid 70's period as being not the best period for Fender instruments, and yet now they are
fetching 'vintage' prices - its all down to rarity/desirability/fashion and a lot of snake oil![/quote]

what pete said.

Its all about personal taste, as costs have risen, certain woods are now protected, standards have changed, the instruments have changed.
I personally prefer the 80's and early 90's EBMM, They were still using the birdeye maple laquered necks as standard(which you can only really get on the new re issue's or family reserve models of new), the weighed more due to using older wood which for me also meant that the electronics were more at the designers natural state as over the last 10 - 15 years the wood that manufacturers can use because of treaties or what ever they are calling them, is not as mature when they pull it out the ground because of demand so they tweak the electronics to match the wood.

You will find some new ones that are better than some old ones and the other way round.

I hope my theory is correct or i have been thinking wrong for a long time! lol. Im looking forward to the time when i play a modern one and it sounds better than my '89. Not happened yet.

I think that there are several things going on. Some people like having an older instrument and not without reason. There's the maturity of the wood. Also an instrument that has been played regularly and well maintained usually sounds better than one that's straight form the factory. This is more noticeable with acoustic instruments but does affect solid body instruments too although the difference is subtle. The price reflects the fact that there are less older instruments on the market so more people are excited about bidding if one comes up for sale on ebay.
Of course there are many other things that make a big difference: strings, electronics, pickup type and position and setup, but I don't think it's unreasonable that these basses cost more than the new ones.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='711285' date='Jan 13 2010, 01:51 PM']I wonder where all the Fenders and MMs built in the 60s (not MM, obviously) and 70s have gone? Has somebody been using them for firewood?[/quote]

I've also got a 69 Fender Mustang and firewoods about the best use for it. :)

Slightly O.T,but still relevant,i feel.Where have all the horribly modded guitars and basses gone ? F.I,all the 70's strats with locking trems.humbuckers.Also if anyone is after a "vintage" re-finned bass,be VERY wary,some of the rebuilt horrors on this site are a good indication.
[url="http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FhzKbwesETE/SiApP1Zbk8I/AAAAAAAAAyQ/kRjzv-D5B04/s320/IMG_1555.JPG&imgrefurl=http://guitargarage.blogspot.com/2009/05/for-sale-1976-fender-precision-bass.html&usg=__Cym96BuJDIwsc1Im007S2vD7d_I=&h=240&w=320&sz=11&hl=en&start=156&um=1&tbnid=wiXzGyIKUwRBMM:&tbnh=89&tbnw=118&prev=/images%3Fq%3D1968%2Bprecision%2Bbass%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GZAZ_enGB349GB349%26sa%3DN%26start%3D140%26um%3D1"]http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...%3D140%26um%3D1[/url]

Edited by hillbilly deluxe

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='711285' date='Jan 13 2010, 02:51 PM']I wonder where all the Fenders and MMs built in the 60s (not MM, obviously) and 70s have gone? Has somebody been using them for firewood?[/quote]

So many attics, so many spaces in spare rooms and under beds, it keeps me awake at night... :)

I recently bought a 30th anniversary 'Ray, and the quality, and sound of it is gorgeous. It's beautifully built and finished, and I love polishing it as much as playing it! Worth every penny?......Oh yes :)

As far as older instruments go...A few years back, I picked up a really scabby, beaten '64 Precision. Reliced would be an understatement! But wow, what a beautiful player, and a really gorgeous tone. Virtually played itself. It really did look horrible though! :lol: On reflection, I wish I had bought it now, looking at the current values :rolleyes:

Can't comment on the pre EB Rays, as I have never played one.