Why become a member? ×

Wy oh why did I choose to be a bassist

Sarah5string

[quote name='mcgraham' post='710207' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:41 PM']I'm actually a guitarist as well, but I took it up after bass and it has almost always taken second place to bass. Bass helped me to adopt and maintain a 'simpler is better' approach, and only to change or add to my setup when I found I was 'hearing' something that could only be achieved by modifying my setup.[/quote]

I am primarily a guitarist and bass always came second, although at one point I did have 5 basses, a strap for each, a pedal board (and pedals) and an amp.
I use the same kit bag when I went out playing guitar so have the same leads, the same picks, straps, etc for guitar and bass.
I make do with one valve amp for guitar and er.....7 guitars...!

[quote name='51m0n' post='710215' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:46 PM']About which, the power supply or the insurance?[/quote]
The insurance mostly! lol

speaking of which just got a quote from allianz.. £47 a year for £1700 worth of gear inc in unattended vehicles.... seems pretty reasonable!

Good luck with the audition!

Next time, check this bad boy out. Should fix your PSU needs.
[url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12"]http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/inde...;products_id=12[/url]

[quote name='mcgraham' post='710207' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:41 PM']I'm actually a guitarist as well, but I took it up after bass and it has almost always taken second place to bass. Bass helped me to adopt and maintain a 'simpler is better' approach, and only to change or add to my setup when I found I was 'hearing' something that could only be achieved by modifying my setup.[/quote]

I only change or add to my setup when I find I'm [i]not[/i] 'hearing' something that could only be achieved by spending bundles.

So that would be - er - always? :)

[quote name='mcgraham' post='710227' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:54 PM']AH-HAH! I knew someone on BC would help to illustrate the plight of a guitarist :rolleyes:[/quote]

Well, you know. I simpy have to have 2 almost identical Les Pauls just in case I a 2nd at any time!

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='710232' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:54 PM']PSA 240, not 230. :)[/quote]

No difference really bab

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='710228' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:54 PM']The insurance mostly! lol

speaking of which just got a quote from allianz.. £47 a year for £1700 worth of gear inc in unattended vehicles.... seems pretty reasonable![/quote]

Yup that would eb about right.

Now imagine what £250+ worth of insured gear looks like in a little terrace house :)

Cant move for bass kit. Sigh....

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='710274' date='Jan 12 2010, 05:12 PM']oooh that sounds like my girls room. Soooo painful!![/quote]

Thats where 'ickle Johnny et al learn their first swear words I think :)

You try not swearing as the unprotected arch of your foot comes down on the ultra sharp corner of a 4x2 lego block at 10 past midnight!

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='710228' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:54 PM']The insurance mostly! lol

speaking of which just got a quote from allianz.. £47 a year for £1700 worth of gear inc in unattended vehicles.... seems pretty reasonable![/quote]

A couple or 3 months back I got a call from the Co-Op offering me insurance (I'd made a casual enquiry about it prior to the call, so it wasn't strictly a cold-call) & I asked about gear.

They quoted me a nad's over £140 for...

£21000 Household Contents, plus
£2500 Musical Instruments (tbh it *might* have been "including" - can't recall now, either way it panned out as £23 down & £12.68 for 11 months)

I specifically asked the rep if I'd be covered if a pint got spilled over my rig whilst playing in a pub, & was pleasantly surprised to get a "Yes".

I have been a customer of theirs for a yonk, so whether that was "street price" or "Members' Discount" I can't say.

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe