Why become a member? ×

Wy oh why did I choose to be a bassist

Sarah5string

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='710475' date='Jan 12 2010, 07:55 PM']you chose to be a bassist because the bass-player is undoubtedly the coolest and most well-hung member of the band, and don't you forget it,.....erm , :) oh, whoops !
good luck with the audition ![/quote]
part from I have nothing to be well hung with :lol: unless you mean my boobs, but I'm only 24! :rolleyes:

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='710233' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:56 PM']I only change or add to my setup when I find I'm [i]not[/i] 'hearing' something that could only be achieved by spending bundles.

So that would be - er - always? :lol:[/quote]
IF YOU'RE NOT 'HEARING' SOMETHING YOU MAY NEED TO VISIT A GP. :) :rolleyes:
[size=1](sincere apologies for obvious pun, in joke at work)[/size]

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='710249' date='Jan 12 2010, 05:01 PM']I'm an obsessive compulsive frugal money saver therefore £8 will be more than scraped back in other areas... :lol:[/quote]

I thought my wife was the only woman with a tight grip on cash :lol:

Edited by Marvin

Sometimes a bit of splashing about with the cash can have it's up side. I decided to treat myself a bit and replace bits on my Fender Jazz fretless, as it's 20 years old and was pretty beaten up by the previous owner. It's black with a nicely yellowed neck, but the white pickguard was a mess and the screws holding it in place were all dull and tarnished. So I put on a new pickguard - a black one - and replaced all the screws with shiny new ones. Now it looks sexy as hell :)

Not that this broke the bank, but sometimes spending a bit on the little things makes a lot of difference to the aesthetics!

Edited by Jerry_B

I find bass purchases relatively cheap. A deacent gigging set up of lets say a MIM P-bass and Hartke 3500 and a 4x10 would cost you about £,1250 odd. That would be a pretty good rig IMO. Even my most expensive bass is still cheaper than my flamenco, a Ramirez R5 which would be a mid priced guitar.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='710155' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:13 PM']Heh! I know the feeling, Sarah. I'm just about to do another string order with Status for six four string sets and a couple of five string sets. I use the DR Fatbeams on my other basses and they're getting expensive - Two sets at a time comes to over £60 usually!

At least you have the satisfaction of being better than those ego-maniac guitarists!

How're you getting along with your lovely Edge Pro, btw?

Rich.[/quote]

Hey Rich,

You can currently get DR Fatbeams at a good price from www.stringsandbeyond.com

I've just ordered 3 of the Marcus Miller medium 4 string sets and even with postage from the USA its worked out to around £51.

Thanks to james on here for the heads up on these.

Cheers
Pete.