Why become a member? ×

Denmark Street, Luthier

davidmpires

Hi everyone

I have received my new tone pump for my spector today, this one with the trim pot, and now I need someone to install it for me. I live in Kent but work in west london so it would be ok for me to visit a shop somewhere central. I talked to Bass gallery and they would do it but if I could avoid the treck to NorthLondon I would prefer, I go past embankment everyday and that's very close to Denmark st maybe I could find one there.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

David

Edited by davidmpires

[quote name='JackLondon' post='709870' date='Jan 12 2010, 12:18 PM']I wouldn't trust anyone from Denmark Street with my bass. If your close to northern line just go to Camden and visit the gallery, I'm sure the guys would also be flexible with the time etc.[/quote]

That's what I've been thinking as well. I have a mate that could do it, but if it goes wrong we'll have a problem. I think I'll have to go all the way up there. Do you know what time it closes?

ps: I haven't measure the mark bass regarding the mono, I'll PM you eventually. :)

[quote name='JackLondon' post='709870' date='Jan 12 2010, 12:18 PM']I wouldn't trust anyone from Denmark Street with my bass. If your close to northern line just go to Camden and visit the gallery, I'm sure the guys would also be flexible with the time etc.[/quote]

A big +1 to this advice.

I would go out of my way to get the work done at a reputable repair shop.
There's also Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience in Hampton Wick, which I would also recommend, if that's any good for you?

[quote name='davidmpires' post='709872' date='Jan 12 2010, 12:20 PM']That's what I've been thinking as well. I have a mate that could do it, but if it goes wrong we'll have a problem. I think I'll have to go all the way up there. Do you know what time it closes?[/quote]

Opening times here:

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/contactUsLocation.cfm"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/contactUsLocation.cfm[/url]

Martin is a wiz with electronics - shouldn't take him long to do and won't cost much as you already bought the circuit - best to get a pro to do it too.

M

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='709879' date='Jan 12 2010, 12:26 PM']whereabouts in west london are you working ? Might be worth asking Peter Cook guitars if they do set ups[/quote]
Stuart is the guy at Peter Cooks in Hanwell. He does sterling work, he apparently put Geddy Lee's Wals together back in the day. He's done a fair few things for me and the work was first class.

Hopefully he is still there, I saw him last about a year ago.

[quote name='silddx' post='709905' date='Jan 12 2010, 12:45 PM']Let's face it, if you can be bothered to go to Denmark Street, you can be bothered to go to Camden.[/quote]

Not quite I get my train in Charing Cross every evening therefore that's a lot quicker to get too, whereas to go to Camden I have to get somewhere with Northern line and then come all the way down to get my train home.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='709919' date='Jan 12 2010, 12:52 PM']Not quite I get my train in Charing Cross every evening therefore that's a lot quicker to get too, whereas to go to Camden I have to get somewhere with Northern line and then come all the way down to get my train home.[/quote]

Charing Cross / Embankment are on the Northern line.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='709919' date='Jan 12 2010, 12:52 PM']Not quite I get my train in Charing Cross every evening therefore that's a lot quicker to get too, whereas to go to Camden I have to get somewhere with Northern line and then come all the way down to get my train home.[/quote]

Dude, it's 10 minutes each way max. It'll take you that to walk to DS from Embankment.

DS is essentially a retail centre, OK, there are techs there, and there certainly used to be very good techs there back in the day, but it is the last place I would go for work on any of my basses now, as it will likely be very expensive (those guys have got serious rents and rates to deal with, there's a reason a lot of the good/popular guys are in places like Hanwell), and I think many of the good techs have now moved out of the centre or town.

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='709929' date='Jan 12 2010, 01:02 PM']Dude, it's 10 minutes each way max. It'll take you that to walk to DS from Embankment.

DS is essentially a retail centre, OK, there are techs there, and there certainly used to be very good techs there back in the day, but it is the last place I would go for work on any of my basses now, as it will likely be very expensive (those guys have got serious rents and rates to deal with, there's a reason a lot of the good/popular guys are in places like Hanwell), and I think many of the good techs have now moved out of the centre or town.

C[/quote]
Shame Hanwell only has Peter Cook and Unplugged now. Flying Pig closed ages ago, damn shame as I met a luthier there that was ACE! Lost his number a long time ago.

You should do a quick cost/benefit analysis of going to Camden then. It's worth the extra 3.25 kilojoules of effort mate, trust me :)

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='709946' date='Jan 12 2010, 01:11 PM']Ahh Flying Pig that takes me back - cardboard boxes everywhere[/quote]
That's right! The boss was an officious Hank Marvin lookalike, and his sidekick was a wheeler-dealer Muscle Car Tats & Piercings Rockabilly w***er that ripped me off on a Korean Squier Strat that wasn't all it seemed, live and learn.

[quote name='chris_b' post='709982' date='Jan 12 2010, 01:46 PM']That was Geoff Baker. He used to work in Maurice Placquet's in Acton, and sold me my first bass when I was 16![/quote]
Yeah, Geoff, think that was his name! Amazing!

Maurice Placquet's in Acton? I've lived in or near Acton for nearly 20 years and never heard of that shop. Sorry, kind of outed your age there :) And mine.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='710116' date='Jan 12 2010, 03:47 PM']....Maurice Placquet's in Acton? I've lived in or near Acton for nearly 20 years and never heard of that shop. Sorry, kind of outed your age there....[/quote]
Age? Not a problem.... 18 till I die.
Placquets were in Churchfield Road, Acton, just about opposite the cemetary. It had gone by the mid 70's I think.