Why become a member? ×

1 in 1 Out And An Argument No Doubt!!

J3ster

[quote name='jakesbass' post='705723' date='Jan 8 2010, 04:54 PM']Whatever you think of Petes little rant, you surely can see that it's piss poor to sum up a persons output on a few vid clips and then publicly decry them in an open forum. Most importantly for you I think is the short shrift your opinions will be given in future if you are prepared to be so condemning of a guy that you don't know and have not really looked into. Vic has done some really lovely playing without the solo bass thing happening at all, he has a great feel and is very musical. I'm not really switched on by the lead bass thing, but I respect what the guys who do it have achieved.[/quote]

Hi Jake,

I understand completely what you are saying, true I have not listened to everything Wooten has done - How many people do go and listen to everything an artist has done when they do not particularly like them??
I can also have respect for what he does do.. (phenominal solo's using awesome techniques) Not knocking that. But once again for me that does not define a Bass player I think as 'One of the best in the world'

I was saying Victor Wooten was an overated Bassist - Based on what I have heard of him in a Bassist sense in a Band.. I still think that..

Anyway to be honest the thread went way off line from opinions and feedback i was after right from the very first come back.
And in all fairness I probably worded it wrong or expected too much. If I could have removed it then I would have.

Edited by J3ster

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='705706' date='Jan 8 2010, 04:44 PM']Re-read the comment you made, then try to find as much Vic as you can, not the YT stuff, but the album material. Personal opinions are OK, but in my
"opinion" you made yourself look like a dickhead.[/quote]

+100

A quick example of Vic's many talents - ignore the first 20 seconds of slap - this is well worth watching for the full 10 minutes - maybe you'll learn something

[quote name='urb' post='705887' date='Jan 8 2010, 07:09 PM']+100

A quick example of Vic's many talents - ignore the first 20 seconds of slap - this is well worth watching for the full 10 minutes - maybe you'll learn something

[/quote]

My GOD!! Are you serious!! That was supposed to show how talented Victor is and that he should be regarded amongst the best in the world...

Wow you know I think i could play everything he does there and even improve on it.. Hey maybe I'm underated..

Seriously are you a Bassist? ............
Pick up some sticks boy... I think you'd make a good drummer..

I give up!!

Edited by J3ster

[quote name='J3ster' post='705903' date='Jan 8 2010, 07:22 PM']My GOD!! Are you serious!! That was supposed to show how talented Victor is and that he should be regarded amongst the best in the world...

Wow you know I think i could play everything he does there and even improve on it.. Hey maybe I'm underated..

Seriously are you a Bassist? ............
Pick up some sticks boy... I think you'd make a good drummer..

I give up!![/quote]

How to make friends and influence people

[quote name='bubinga5' post='705910' date='Jan 8 2010, 07:27 PM']He he i would love to see you out play Wooten on the simple stuff :rolleyes:

you sir are a merchant in the trade of windup[/quote]

Not a chance he would have me at an Open E Well maybe a bit beyond that :)

But that wasn't the point and that video did not impress me one bit

[quote name='J3ster' post='705914' date='Jan 8 2010, 07:32 PM']Not a chance he would have me at an Open E Well maybe a bit beyond that :)

But that wasn't the point and that video did not impress me one bit[/quote]J3ster i was wondering if you missed the point of URB posting the vid?

maybe its just his style that doesnt agree with you?

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='705928' date='Jan 8 2010, 07:38 PM']No that hes not all technique and slap...See above post for Q...[/quote]

I do get that honestly............. I really do not know what all this fuss is about..

I simply said that I believed Victor Wooten was an overated Bassist.. Was not concerned with whever he could play with a pick or dig in with the groove...
I was saying that when he plays in the role of a Bassist in a band he is nothing special... And he isn't

I'm now going to enjoy my friday night and stop defending something that is just an opinion..

Oh btw I also think Strawberry ice cream is nicer than chocolate.... In my opinion

Edited by J3ster

[quote name='J3ster' post='705939' date='Jan 8 2010, 07:42 PM']I do get that honestly............. I really do not know what all this fuss is about..

I simply said that I believed Victor Wooten was an overated Bassist.. Was not concerned with whever he could play with a pick or dig in with the groove...
I was saying that when he plays in the role of a Bassist in a band he is nothing special... And he isn't

I'm now going to enjoy my friday night and stop defending something that is just an opinion..

Oh btw I also think Strawberry ice cream is nicer than chocolate.... In my opinion[/quote]
i understand where your coming from..its your opinion and your entitled to it for sure...I personally think Flea is a little overated but that just mine.. :)

enjoy your fri evening

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='J3ster' post='705914' date='Jan 8 2010, 07:32 PM']Not a chance he would have me at an Open E Well maybe a bit beyond that :)

But that wasn't the point and that video did not impress me one bit[/quote]

The point was - he has great timing - not the notes he was playing...

I really am going to let this lie now - toooooooooo many threads on th internet slagging off Wooten, Jaco et al - it's ALL been said before - I have pretty much listened to almost everything Vic has done over the last twenty years and I am fully confident of my belief that he is a brilliant bassist and musician - not for every gig out there granted - but overall the guy has his sh*t down - end of - and he plays great in bands. He is however an individual - just like the millions and millions of other bassists out there - all doing their thing - right and wrong - good and bad. Life's too short for this sh*t.

M

[quote name='urb' post='705954' date='Jan 8 2010, 07:49 PM']The point was - he has great timing - not the notes he was playing...

I really am going to let this lie now - toooooooooo many thread on th internet slagging off Wooten, Jaco et al - it's ALL been said before - I have pretty much listened to almost everything Vic has done over the last twnety years and I am fully confident of my belief that he is a brilliant bassist and musician - not for every gig out there granted - but overall the guy has his sh*t down - end of - and he plays great in bands. He is however an individual - just like the millions and millions of other bassists out there - all doing their thing - right and wrong - good and bad. Life's too short for this sh*t.

M[/quote]

+1

For f*cks sake, how much more time has to pass, when people will stop spilling sh*t on Vic without any actual reason?

At least, I haven't seen a single one in Jester's comments..

It seems, that for some of us, it's more important, that [b]other [/b]people [b]have [/b]know, what we like and what we don't about this and that bass player, than it actually cares for ourselves..

Please, shut this miserable thread.

Edited by Faithless

Underrated: Dave Pegg and Ashley Hutchings. Anyone heard Hutchings bassline on Fairports Tam Lin? Jeez... Oh, and Danny Thompson!

Overrated: Me, the singer from my old band just described me on facebook as a "musician"

Oh, and whilst on Youtube, came across Mr Wooten doing Norwegian Wood....obviously a very, very talented bass player, and whilst I had to admire his playing, I got bored before the end of the song! Still wish I had a tenth of his talent though....

Edited by 4-string-thing

Normally I would wade in here, but Pete Academy has already put the pro-Wooten point quite eloquently enough. Interestingly, I loved the "seen in a pub" comment in the original post. It made me laugh with incredulity. :rolleyes: Just think it through... By all means feel free to not like something in terms of personal taste, but once again don't lambast one of the greatest musicians of our time if you can't equal or better his ability. Remember, if you're going to talk the talk, make sure you can walk the walk...

As I said, I'd usually wade in but I'm more interested in chewing up and spitting out dickhead sound engineers at the moment who seem intent on f*****g up my [and others] sound. What part of "step away from the mixing desk" don't you understand, you moronic individuals? :)