Why become a member? ×

Who knows something about this? Some plots, images etc.

aplejam

[quote name='aplejam' post='702065' date='Jan 5 2010, 08:17 PM']Who knows something about this? Some plots, images etc.
Your comments.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/46195608@N07/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/46195608@N07/[/url][/quote]

If it's yours why not start us off with what you know! :)

[quote name='aplejam' post='702065' date='Jan 5 2010, 08:17 PM']Who knows something about this? Some plots, images etc.
Your comments.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/46195608@N07/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/46195608@N07/[/url][/quote]

Aha! Figured out a way of linking directly... Hope you don't mind - makes it easier for us all to comment.

I caught this over on Talkbass last night - fascinating looking thing! I can't help but wonder if it's a Eastern-Bloc "Cold War" copy.

Still think it needs a Tele-style pickup selector switch though.

Pete.

There's something strangely cool about that. :rolleyes:

I wonder if Jon has ever come across something like this? The only tele style bass I can remember were the cruddy Jedsons, and this looks way better than them. And those tuners have something stamped on them that looks suspiciously like 'Fender' - there can't have been too many factories knocking out those. :)

[quote name='Musky' post='702148' date='Jan 5 2010, 09:18 PM']There's something strangely cool about that. :rolleyes:

I wonder if Jon has ever come across something like this? The only tele style bass I can remember were the cruddy Jedsons, and this looks way better than them. And those [b]tuners have something stamped on them that looks suspiciously like 'Fender' [/b]- there can't have been too many factories knocking out those. :)[/quote]

A quick 'n' dirty bit of Photoshoppery confirms that they do bear the F-word. The whole thing looks "manufactured" to me, not slung together.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='702172' date='Jan 5 2010, 09:36 PM']A quick 'n' dirty bit of Photoshoppery confirms that they do bear the F-word. The whole thing looks "manufactured" to me, not slung together.[/quote]
Yeah, my thoughts as well.

It looks too well put together to have been an Eastern Bloc instrument to my eyes - they tended to be more idiosyncratic and, for the most part, original. The bridge is unlike any other I've seen as well. Quite a mystery all in all.

[quote name='Musky' post='702148' date='Jan 5 2010, 09:18 PM']There's something strangely cool about that. :)

I wonder if Jon has ever come across something like this?[/quote]
Not all on the one bass. And I'm pretty sure the body & neck don't share the same mother on this thing.

This is medium-scale, isn't it? Look at the position of the bridge on the body - it would be way further back if it was 34" scale. Either that, or the body's [i]enormous[/i] - which it ain't.

The neck's very narrow, almost parallel, like a Rick - or those medium-scale 70s Tele-bass copies that turn up from time to time, like [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=71158&view=findpost&p=690103"]this one belonging to BC member Arsenic[/url]. Obviously it's not an identical neck but a similar style. The tuners are a mystery - I'm not enough of a Fender anorak to know if these are genuine or not, but it would seem a lot of unnecessary trouble to go to if they're not.

The bridge baseplate looks very home-made to me, and is large enough to cover the original pup routing in what I think is a guitar body. I especially like the wooden height adjusters. :rolleyes:

It's a shame that the pics all seem to be taken in such a way that they conceal more than they show - apart from the rather distant full-length shot, they all seem to be from strange & misleading perspectives. Funny, that.

Jon.

I concur with earlier statements, tele guitar body with a bass neck. As Jon noted, that's not 34" scale, not by a long shot.

Not quite sure about that control plate though, don't think Fender ever made a tele one with two single on/off switches in place of the 3 way. So I'd say it's a DIY jobbie.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='702519' date='Jan 6 2010, 10:08 AM']Has anyone made a good Telecaster guitar style bass ? the only ones that i have seen are made by Shine.
The scale length is shorter,it should look like this IMO.[/quote]

I've got one of the Shine Tele basses (see pic) - they're quite a heavy bass as the body is solid ash, quite nice to play and looks fairly decent

Some details
Hard Maple bolt on neck with rosewood fingerboard
34" scale length 21 Frets,
ash body,
Die cast tuners,
custom bridge.
2 volume and 1 tone controls 3 way switch

forgot to add - the one in the pic isn't mine I pinched the pic from a web site

Edited by Jambo63