Why become a member? ×

Help please..Injury problems?

Rockbassix

I broke my wrist and injured my hand a few months ago it had a huge affect on my playing as i had only been playing for a year before it happened. When i started playing again i feel like i almost went back to the start.

I've finally started to improve again and even joined a band at last but my wrist is still causing me huge problems. I was supposed to play my first gig on the 30th and part of me was glad when it was cancelled due to a licence problem then cancelled again last night due to the snow making half the area out of bounds. (never organise a party or a gig in a barn in winter :rolleyes: )

Although i really wanted to play the gig i was worried how i was going to be able to play for that length of time without ending up in agony.

I've tried warm up exercises and building up by playing a little longer each time but still i'm in agony after playing a few songs without a break.

I don't want to give up but i'm starting to feel like it's never going to get any better.

Anybody got any suggestions please? :)

How long ago did you injure your hand - it can take quite a while for the healing process to complete, and you say you injured your hand - was this tendon damage????

It may be worth seeing your GP and didcussing this with them.

Physiotherapy may be recommended.

Edited by arsenic

Have you discussed it with the physio - presuming the hospital sent you for some when the cast came off?

I should think if you mention that (avoiding the "will I be able to play bass after?" "Yes" "great I never could before" :rolleyes: conversations) they should be able to come up with some suggestions for exercises to help. Depending on how you learnt - self taught with possible associated bad habits, or with a teacher who set you on the straight & narrow from the outset - perhaps a couple of lessons to make sure you don't have any bad posture habits that exacerbate the situation.

I am presently planning ops to replace my plucking wrist followed by plucking pinkie & middle two fingers for Feb/March. That's coming at it from a different angle, 'cos they're knackered, but if it works as well as the index finger on the same hand a couple of years back I'll be very happy.

EDIT: There's three for the physio now :) . Can't remember who it is now but there is at least one member on here who is/was a physio who might be able to chip in

Edited by WalMan

It's my fretting hand.

I had physio for 2 months but no real improvement still doing the exercises but the physio
decided i was ok as i had most of the movement back. I've been back to the docs but basically got
told that it will improve with time and keep doing the exercises oh and a suggestion of perhaps trying a different hobby LOL obviously my doc isn't into music! :)

I injured it in May i broke the wrist and and done some tendon damage as well typical i couldn't just do one or the other.

I did go and get a couple of lessons to see if i was making the situation worse and also to try and get back to where i was but although i've got a ton of other bad habits he reckoned my hand/wrist posture on my fretting hand was ok. :)

It depends on the injury doesn't it, what did you do to your hand and which was it?

I smashed up my left (fretting hand) wrist ten years ago on a motorcycle, radius and ulna both completely broken. I spent a couple of months in plaster and then a wrist splint. I played acoustic guitar three hours a day at least during all this time and my mobility and strength came back really well and very quickly according to the rehab nurse, who expressed some surprise. Keep in there mate but get advice from an expert.

Cheers sliddx mine was done on a motorbike unfortunately that was the 4th time i've done it in 6 years plus a few sprains and tendon damage incidents along the way. This time was two fractures radius and scaphoid and tendon damage i didn't think it would be much of a problem to heal can't remember having this amount of problems the last time but i wasn't playing bass then.

I tried playing while i was in a cast but could only play badly with my hand over the top due to the cast coming halfway up my thumb and not enough space to put my bass between. My mates were joking i should put it back in a cast and play that way at least while i was in the cast it didn't hurt! :)

I completely wrecked my shoulder a few years back and it wasn't funny. I sympathise. Luckily, when I went to see the doctor about it, the first thing she said was "Hey, you're the bass player out of.....", so we were off to a good start. It took me a *long* time and lots of physio (which I paid for myself) to get back to something like useful. In fact it still could be better to be honest. I think it just takes time.

BUT... pain is your body telling you to stop doing something!!

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='700282' date='Jan 4 2010, 10:42 AM']I completely wrecked my shoulder a few years back and it wasn't funny. I sympathise. Luckily, when I went to see the doctor about it, the first thing she said was "Hey, you're the bass player out of.....", so we were off to a good start. It took me a *long* time and lots of physio (which I paid for myself) to get back to something like useful. In fact it still could be better to be honest. I think it just takes time.

BUT... pain is your body telling you to stop doing something!![/quote]

Thanks glad you're better now LOL your doc sounds better than mine! My doc seems to reckon finding another hobby is a reasonable answer! My doc obviously isn't into music :rolleyes:

[quote name='vmaxblues' post='700284' date='Jan 4 2010, 10:49 AM']Have pm'd you[/quote]

PM replied Thanks vmaxblues very much appreciated :)

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='700286' date='Jan 4 2010, 10:50 AM']A change of bass might help.[/quote]

Yeah i had thought of that after a rehearsal using my mates P bass went slightly better than
the ones playing my Jazz but it could have just been one of my better nights! Only problem is i love the Jazz and couldn't part with it! LOL that would be the perfect excuse to buy another bass though :lol:

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='700286' date='Jan 4 2010, 10:50 AM']A change of bass might help.[/quote]

Something where your fretting hand isn't having to support the neck at all may be helpfull? I found my Streamline very usefull in this regard when my neck/shoulder problems flared up earlier this year.

Good luck

[quote name='Lostheplot' post='700089' date='Jan 3 2010, 10:56 PM']'ve been back to the docs but basically got
told that it will improve with time and keep doing the exercises oh and a suggestion of perhaps trying a different hobby LOL obviously my doc isn't into music! :)[/quote]

Change your doctor or at least get a second opinion. I pinched a nerve in my left shoulder/upper back about 8 months ago, & my original doc said something along the lines of "well, back pain comes & goes for no reason - just rest it & take these industrial-strength Ibuprofen". This "sage" advice eased it for a bit & then it flared up something chronic so I went back to the clinic & saw someone else.

At last! A proper doctor! He prodded & poked about (something the old one didn't) with my arm in various positions, showed me a couple of simple, yet effective excercise, and wrote out a scrip for some proper anti-inflammatories that actually worked. It's not 100% sorted by any means, but I have no discomfort & it's gradually easing up.

Not all doctors are equal.

Repeat. Get a second opinion.

Pete.

[quote name='Lostheplot' post='700089' date='Jan 3 2010, 10:56 PM']It's my fretting hand.[/quote]

What angle do you have your fretting hand at? If you can keep the wrist completely straight and only bend at the elbow you'll feel less discomfort. Angle the bass neck up slightly to help get the angles right.