Why become a member? ×

Transcription of Son of a Preacher Man? Anyone?

thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='699165' date='Jan 2 2010, 10:52 PM']So... I said, "yeh, I'll learn that for Tuesday". Without listening to it. Yes, nobody told me :-(

Any assistance much appreciated. The actual dots would help the most. My reading ability is slightly better than my ear.....[/quote]

Which version? Aretha Franklin or Dusty Springfield? The arrangements are slightly different.

TBH it's not a toughie - you should be able to blag through it after a few goes (my ear is not brilliant & my reading is non-existant!)

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='699173' date='Jan 2 2010, 10:58 PM']Which version? Aretha Franklin or Dusty Springfield? The arrangements are slightly different.

TBH it's not a toughie - you should be able to blag through it after a few goes (my ear is not brilliant & my reading is non-existant!)

Pete.[/quote]

I've only heard Dusty Springfield's version (and Joss Stone which is even better). You're quite right of course - I'm sure root-fifth-octave will save the day (again!) :)

It's one of those days. I got stuffed with bloody "Black Velvet" as well, for a series of "what the hell was that chord" moments when I was expecting once-through-and-I've-got-it :rolleyes:

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='699175' date='Jan 2 2010, 11:02 PM']I've only heard Dusty Springfield's version (and Joss Stone which is even better). You're quite right of course - I'm sure root-fifth-octave will save the day (again!) :)

It's one of those days. I got stuffed with bloody "Black Velvet" as well, for a series of "what the hell was that chord" moments when I was expecting once-through-and-I've-got-it :rolleyes:[/quote]

I'm on an all-nighter so I'll jot down the DS version. Know what you mean about Black Velvet - great tune but not helped by being a semitone off. The only tab I found was transcribed for a 5 string. Transcribe it to E & it all makes sense.

Pete.

[quote name='Doddy' post='699195' date='Jan 2 2010, 11:50 PM']Bass Player transcribed 'Son of a preacher man' in,I think Feb '06.
It's a great bass line by Tommy Cogbill.[/quote]

thanks - i'll use my library connections to dig that out if i can.

and as a aside...joss stone vs. dusty ? i find it hard to see why anyone rate joss stone over dusty's version, but there you go.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='simonmdavies' timestamp='1320748208' post='1430731']Hi - I order the Feb 06 Bassplayer mag for the Tommy Cogbill version of son of preacherman - think it was 15-20USD and took 6 weeks. Well I cant find it in their - just a Geddy Lee transcription !

If anyone can help me out here Id apprciate it !

Thanks

Simon[/quote]

Here's a transcript that was posted up here ages ago (or else it was on Talkbass - I forget).

[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8453031/SonOfAPreacherMan_E_bass.pdf"]http://dl.dropbox.co...rMan_E_bass.pdf[/url]

Dots only, so if you need tab you'll have to do it yourself - Tux Guitar is free & pretty good.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1320750073' post='1430757']
Black Velvet was a synth bass, wasn't it?[/quote]

According to popular legend, yes... doesn't get us out of having to know the @^&$%%"! thing though :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1320752176' post='1430781'][size=4]Tommy Cogbill was just jamming. I[b]'d just get the groove right and play it your own way.[/b][/size][/quote]

My thoughts exactly.

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe

[quote name='simonmdavies' timestamp='1320748208' post='1430731']
Hi - I order the Feb 06 Bassplayer mag for the Tommy Cogbill version of son of preacherman - think it was 15-20USD and took 6 weeks. Well I cant find it in their - just a Geddy Lee transcription !

If anyone can help me out here Id apprciate it !

Thanks

Simon
[/quote]

It was the March 06 issue that you needed.

Thanks to all for your replies - I got the pdf from Essential Tension - and also the other version above - really appreciate it.
Yes March is the one - still all sorted out now.

Black Velvet - I play it in E and using open string muting to click it - I think its a keyboard - nice fill that sets up the vocals coming in. For me - Ive never found a drummer that got it quiet right its got a slight swing to it - I just work the drummer.

Enough of this - back to Jamerson and Tommy for me.
cheers