Why become a member? ×

'Vintage' basses, any Good

pal1972

I had an EST96NA (4-string active Stingray copy) which was rather nice. Probably shouldn't have sold it but at the time I preferred a smaller neck.

It was well put together, the electronics weren't noisy as far as I can remember, and the sound was a pretty decent approximation of a Stingray.

Generally they seem to get very good reviews at their price range.

For a clever bloke, Trev Wilkinson was totally misguided in calling his guitars 'Vintage'. For one thing, they are not! But also, try doing a search for Vintage and you get a million other things, search for Sei (for example) and you just get what you want.

hiho,I hope I can help here.I have a v4 p-bass copy that was good as standard,I got this to play in pubs.
I liked it as standard so I wondered if it could be better and save me the cost of the real thing ,the upgrading started -a set of schaller tuners,wizard thumper pick up,badass copy bridge with the intention of fitting the real thing but I,m more than happy with the results.
I have in the past played a lot of fenders that never sounded as good.
With the thumper fitted I can roll of a bit on the volume and the tone and get loadsa sounds,very high output-14k on the meter.I am however thinking of fitting a stealth 51 from Andy at wizard.A drop D tuner would make this a real cracker.
For the price there is no worries,pity they don,t do a black one with a maple neck.
Hope this helps

I`ve been playing the Bubinga bodied 4 string fretless now for 3 months (the V940 FL?), and I really can`t fault it. Very nice neck with a lovely fast, smooth action, good, punchy sound range, well made and superb value I`d say! Using it for modern jazz and don`t believe it can be faulted at the price.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting a 'vintage' precision copy tonight from a friend who has had it lying around for years. I suspect it must be 10+ years old, but don't really know much about it. How do I identify it?

Also, does anyone know if a squier/fender scratchplate will fit on it, cos I'm thinking of using it as the basis of my first every project bass - so I can have practice at setting a bass up etc and then keep it as a spare for our church band

I also need to get to some replacement knobs for the control as it doesn't come with any - where is a good place to get some - I don't care what make they are as long as they are reasonable quality and very cheap. I don't really have any money to spend on the project at the mo' so cheap is good.

[quote name='jim_bass' post='715787' date='Jan 17 2010, 04:56 PM']I also need to get to some replacement knobs for the control as it doesn't come with any - where is a good place to get some - I don't care what make they are as long as they are reasonable quality and very cheap. I don't really have any money to spend on the project at the mo' so cheap is good.[/quote]

I get cheap ones from eBay, usually cheapest to buy a set from Hong Kong. Also keep a look out on the for sale section here, there's usually a few bits and pieces on there especially as people tend to swap chrome ones out for black/gold etc.

Does anyone know how much my 'vintage' precision would be worth?

[url="http://gallery.me.com/james.cartwright#100094"]http://gallery.me.com/james.cartwright#100094[/url]

I've now stripped the bass down and cleaned it all up - and I've change my mind, now it been polished up, the sunburst looks pretty nice - you can see the wood grain through it. Changed the strings, set it up nicely.

I plays pretty good (not that I've ever owned a precision before). The are a few little scratches on the front, but there is one gouge out of the back - I've taken a picture of it.

If the answer is £20 then I'l keep it, but if I could get £100 for it, then I'd sell it as I don't really need 3 basses!

Edited by jim_bass

My first bass was a Vintage Axxe or something, it was this baisically...

[url="http://www.guitarbitz.com/166.htm"]http://www.guitarbitz.com/166.htm[/url] Except it had a different headstock.

It was very good from what i can remember, i just grew out of the shape, then i saw a bc rich warlock and jumped at it...

I think it was a great bass to start learning on, and their scond hand value is just awesome for the buyer, im sure you can have one for under £80 i recon.

I keep thinking I'll buy a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz as my next and main bass, but then I also see the the Vintage AV4 in white and love it. I like the overall look of the Squier the best, but love the unsual "take" on the Jazz by Vintage.

I'd also have another V940, THAT was a nice bass!

I'm no professional but FWIW I think Vintage are very good, and astonishingly good value for money.

I played a VP940FL in Reverb Bristol just for a laugh but was surprised how nice it was:

[url="http://www.reverb-store.co.uk/product-detail.asp?prod=4858"]Vintage VP940FL fretless[/url]

I was so impressed that when the son of a friend of mine came seeking advice for a new bass under £250 I sent him straight in there. He bought the fretted version:

[url="http://www.reverb-store.co.uk/product-detail.asp?prod=4857"]Vintage VP940B fretted[/url]

I played it when he brought it round and it was great. I later found out his teacher was so impressed he borrowed it off him :)

Haven't played any of the others but the VP940's I have no hesitation in recommending.

Edited by Greydad

[quote name='karlbbb' post='722777' date='Jan 24 2010, 01:17 AM']I keep thinking I'll buy a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz as my next and main bass, but then I also see the the Vintage AV4 in white and love it. I like the overall look of the Squier the best, but love the unsual "take" on the Jazz by Vintage.

I'd also have another V940, THAT was a nice bass![/quote]

I've not played a Vintage Jazz bass, but this precision is nice to play.

Having said that, I've just bought a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz and it plays a lot nicer (IMO) and is soon to become my main bass, making my yamaha a backup bass. But I'm not a huge fan of precisions anyway.