Why become a member? ×

Fender Jaguar Bass

Huw Foster

I'm not entirely sure why, but over the course of the last week or so I've had a real craving for one of these. It must be a combination of things. The red finish with the matching headstock is one, the block inlays are another... but it's not just aesthetic. I had a chance to play one for half-an-hour or so in my local PMT today, and although the action wasn't amazing, it pretty much sealed the deal for me.

I want one.

I want it now.

Unfortunately, that will be nigh on impossible unless I get some work over the next couple of months, as gigs are far and few between until the spring. However, while I'm gathering funds I thought I might as well ask some questions about it.

Actually, just the one: can someone explain to me what the series/parallel switch does, in simple enough terms for my brain to understand? I did some quick research on the matter, but my knowledge of electronics is almost entirely derived from GCSE Physics lessons where I wasn't really paying that much attention most of the time.

I noticed a subtle difference in the tone when the switch was activated, but it was difficult to decipher through the Roland Cube it was going through (which, surprisingly, didn't sound too bad overall).

Sorry if this has been asked many times before!

Huw

Cheers for the replies. I did think it sounded a little bit meatier, but like I said, the combo it was going through made it hard to differentiate.

Still don't know how it works though. I'm going to assume 'magic'.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='697126' date='Dec 31 2009, 12:34 PM']You also know (I assume) that the top switch switches from passive to active?[/quote]
Yup, I knew that. Actually, I have another question about that - are the bass and treble dials boost only? I got that impression, but I wasn't sure.

Passive - you get, front to back:
neck pickup on/off
bridge pick up on/off
series/parallel on/off
So you can do any combination of those. I sound better with everything off but find it doesn't cut through the mix too well like that :)

Active, you get a 2 band EQ from the little rollers that will cut or boost. These are a little imprecise, IMHO, and the 'flat' position is difficult to guage.

Two knobs - volume and tone, which work for both active and passive.

When I first played it I used it active only but, now I am more used to it, use it passive only and get the sound I want from the amp.

My only concerns about it are how much of the value of the beast goes into the slightly substandard electronics. Given that I now use it only passively, would I have done better spending the extra on a simple passive guitar? But that's just me. I love the looks and the way it plays and sounds, so I suppose it matters not at the end of the day.

[quote name='Paul S' post='697193' date='Dec 31 2009, 01:56 PM']My only concerns about it are how much of the value of the beast goes into the slightly substandard electronics. Given that I now use it only passively, would I have done better spending the extra on a simple passive guitar? But that's just me. I love the looks and the way it plays and sounds, so I suppose it matters not at the end of the day.[/quote]
I think I know what you mean - when I was trying it out I loved the array of passive tones so much, the active switch seemed a little unnecessary. However, I reckon the active preamp is still good enough for slap tones, particularly that Marcus Miller-type sound if I want it. It would also be ideal for the rare occasion when a bass solo is required of me and I need to jump out of the mix a little, haha.

I don't know enough about similar basses in that price range to really assess value for money though. I do know, however, that I [i]love[/i] the way it looks, and a shallow part of my mind would never, ever allow me to buy an aesthetic disaster, no matter how amazing it is in all other aspects. I hope I'm not alone in feeling this! I'm certain 80-90% (well, a lot anyway) of an instrument's desirability is down to looks alone.

[quote name='Huwberry' post='698208' date='Jan 1 2010, 06:15 PM']I do know, however, that I [i]love[/i] the way it looks, and a shallow part of my mind would never, ever allow me to buy an aesthetic disaster, no matter how amazing it is in all other aspects. I hope I'm not alone in feeling this! I'm certain 80-90% (well, a lot anyway) of an instrument's desirability is down to looks alone.[/quote]

It is what swung it for me, if I am honest, in a play-off between a USA jazz and the jag. The idea that I have a good quality fender bass that looked a little different from the herd is quite appealing.

Mine is black and, with a black pick guard on it, looks even cooler - my Panther!

[attachment=39160:jaguarblacksp2.jpg] [attachment=39161:jaguarblacksp3.jpg] [attachment=39159:jaguarblacksp1.jpg]

The Jaguar has been my main bass for the last couple of years. Just like quality Jazz bass but much cooler, I woud love to get another one in vintage white with the tort pickguard to match my Jazzmaster guitar.

Got mine secondhand from the old forum, it came with a Badass bridge and Kent Armstrong pickups already which I really like.

Paul - where did you get the black pickguard ? I really like the all black look...

Cheers
Joao

[quote name='Paul S' post='698612' date='Jan 2 2010, 11:16 AM']It is what swung it for me, if I am honest, in a play-off between a USA jazz and the jag. The idea that I have a good quality fender bass that looked a little different from the herd is quite appealing.

Mine is black and, with a black pick guard on it, looks even cooler - my Panther!

[attachment=39160:jaguarblacksp2.jpg] [attachment=39161:jaguarblacksp3.jpg] [attachment=39159:jaguarblacksp1.jpg][/quote]

Hi Joao - I got it from [url="http://www.auroraproject.co.uk/scratchplate.htm"]Aurora Project[/url] but I think there are several places. I sent them a tracing of the original, just to be sure. It's maybe not as stiff as I would like (ooh err, etc) but looks the business. It was 3 ply BWB. I reckon chrome would look the mutts, too.

Edited by Paul S

Not sure if you can see in this pic, but I've added a couple of subtle white dots (tipp-ex pen) on the small rollers so I can see if they've moved...

I dont know the magic behinf the series / parallel swich, but I have mine like this, just works for me!

I tried one out and loved it.
I bought the sunburst version, because it just looks right.
I’ve already upgraded the pickups to Nordstrands, and bridge to a Hipshot A.
Swapped the vol and tone pot for CTS and swapped the treble and bass pots to linier taper for smoother control. I’ve installed TI Jazz flats and am now very happy with it.

It doesn’t sound like my American Standard Jazz or ‘70 Jazz (they don’t sound alike either), I like the sound and the different flavor it brings.

I’ve heard complaints about hum and shielding but had absolutely no problem with mine right out of the box. My practice room has a dimmer and a florescent workbench light and neither has caused any excessive hum issues with that bass.

MM

[quote name='Paul S' post='698612' date='Jan 2 2010, 11:16 AM']It is what swung it for me, if I am honest, in a play-off between a USA jazz and the jag. The idea that I have a good quality fender bass that looked a little different from the herd is quite appealing.

[attachment=39160:jaguarblacksp2.jpg] [attachment=39161:jaguarblacksp3.jpg] [attachment=39159:jaguarblacksp1.jpg][/quote]

Nice! I think I might have to get a tortoiseshell pickguard if/when I get one. I did a (bad) mock-up to illustrate it:

[attachment=39415:jag.jpg]

Not sure though. It's definitely not the 'classic' colour combination for a Jag, but I think I like it, and it'd stand out from the countless other red and white ones. :)

I'll tell you what, the jaguar is a masterpiece of marketing. It looks cool, and if you plug it in in the store the active eq sounds amazing. However if you buy one, which I did, you'll almost certainly find that on the active setting it won't fair well in a mix. I really hated the EQ on mine and started using it on passive. It was a slight improvement. It was still very muddy.
To answer your question on "parallel" it sounds unbelievably thin and will not cut through, and series will help you to cut through, but don't expect a lovely sound from it, as it's pretty muddy on that.
The jaguar was my second bass and I played it for a year. I found it very heavy, a real pain to do a long gig with it on my shoulder. About 6 months after buying when I really learnt the bass' limitations I was really frustrated with it. Also you may find that the cutaway isn't that good if you want to play in the upper register.
When I finally got another bass I was so relieved. In fact I picked up my jag for the first time in a while the other day and it felt like such a clumsily made bass compared to the one I use now.
Also to get the jaguar anywhere near playable I had to pay out for a bad ass bridge. I would have bought new pickups too had I not concluded that it was a lost cause.
Oh! And I almost forgot to mention the numerous dead and buzzing frets, even with high action!!

Sorry to be a downer, just felt I had to contribute my (largely painful) experiences with the jaguar. It seems to me a lot of people buy guitars and basses in a shop when they're not set up & the playing experience in the shop with just the instrument on its own is different to how it is when you actually have the instrument in a band situation, on a gig, in a mix, where it's really a whole different kettle of fish. Mmm, fish. And it really takes a long time to get "into" a bass (in my experience) and really see its flaws and, occasionally, what's good about it. A half hour or less in a shop really tells us little.

-C.

I got mine just before Crimbo - my first Fender!! I love it, really great comfy bass to play. did the research before buying so I know about it's limitations electronics wise.....

Possible upgrades -

Quarter Pounders

Matching scratch plate

Fender HMV bridge ( don't like the look of the Badass)

Something to replace the Fender Pre amp

Early days yet, so i'm going to give it a good seeing to first!

[quote name='Changles' post='702137' date='Jan 5 2010, 09:12 PM']I'll tell you what, the jaguar is a masterpiece of marketing. It looks cool, and if you plug it in in the store the active eq sounds amazing. However if you buy one, which I did, you'll almost certainly find that on the active setting it won't fair well in a mix. I really hated the EQ on mine and started using it on passive. It was a slight improvement. It was still very muddy.
To answer your question on "parallel" it sounds unbelievably thin and will not cut through, and series will help you to cut through, but don't expect a lovely sound from it, as it's pretty muddy on that.
The jaguar was my second bass and I played it for a year. I found it very heavy, a real pain to do a long gig with it on my shoulder. About 6 months after buying when I really learnt the bass' limitations I was really frustrated with it. Also you may find that the cutaway isn't that good if you want to play in the upper register.
When I finally got another bass I was so relieved. In fact I picked up my jag for the first time in a while the other day and it felt like such a clumsily made bass compared to the one I use now.
Also to get the jaguar anywhere near playable I had to pay out for a bad ass bridge. I would have bought new pickups too had I not concluded that it was a lost cause.
Oh! And I almost forgot to mention the numerous dead and buzzing frets, even with high action!!

Sorry to be a downer, just felt I had to contribute my (largely painful) experiences with the jaguar. It seems to me a lot of people buy guitars and basses in a shop when they're not set up & the playing experience in the shop with just the instrument on its own is different to how it is when you actually have the instrument in a band situation, on a gig, in a mix, where it's really a whole different kettle of fish. Mmm, fish. And it really takes a long time to get "into" a bass (in my experience) and really see its flaws and, occasionally, what's good about it. A half hour or less in a shop really tells us little.

-C.[/quote]

Don't apologise - it's interesting to hear a mostly negative review of the Jaguar for once!

It might be blind optimism on my part, but perhaps you had a dud instrument? I'm fairly sure Fender isn't always renowned for its quality control!

Of course,when I'm next trying one out (hopefully with a mind to buy something, funds permitting), I will make sure to not only scrutinise it, but also have a go at comparing to similarly priced basses.

[quote name='Changles' post='702137' date='Jan 5 2010, 09:12 PM']I'll tell you what, the jaguar is a masterpiece of marketing. It looks cool, and if you plug it in in the store the active eq sounds amazing. However if you buy one, which I did, you'll almost certainly find that on the active setting it won't fair well in a mix. I really hated the EQ on mine and started using it on passive. It was a slight improvement. It was still very muddy.

-C.[/quote]

Very interesting to read your comments. I have my eye on a red Jag too, but I also have to concede that looks are a big part of it. Deep down I know I should buy a Jazz Bass :)

Heres my Jag on Steroids!
My Mods are:
• BEAD Tuning
• Fender CS '60s pickups
• Concentric Vol/Tone & Balance Pots
• Concentric Jazz style knobs
• Nordstrand 2B preamp
• CTS Pots & Switch's
• Copper Shielding + Star grounding
• Deluxe 5 bolt neck plate + Heel contour
• Schaller strap locks
• Hipshot Ultralite Tuners