Why become a member? ×

Hello and Bonjour!

twowheeledwriter

Like many before me, I have lurked on Basschat for a while, enjoying the informative and general good-natured ambiance of the place.

I have been a guitarist for 30 years, but six months ago I agreed to fill the role of bassist in a covers band. This meant pressing into action my Quest Atak 1B bought from the proceeds of a two-week hop picking jaunt in 1986. And, actually, it's been a lot of fun - more fun that I had playing the guitar in a couple of bands in my youth. I hadn't ever played much bass outside of my bedroom and really only purchased it to occasionally fill a track on my four-track cassette recorder.

From this forum, I've learnt that my first electric guitar, a Westone Concord II, is a not-so-distant cousin of the Quest Atak 1B - both appear to be products of Matsumoku.

The Atak 1B sounds decent (to my novice bass playing ears) through my newly-acquired Laney RB4 - it mixes well with the two guitars and drums of the band. Still, I expect I'll be expanding my collection of basses (by 100%) in due course. There seems to be some sort of addictively infectious effect from hanging around here admiring other people's gear.

[attachment=39040:Quest_Atak_1B.JPG]

FlatEric, Telebass & BurritoBass:

Thanks for the kind words. To be honest, the look of the bass was one of the main factors that led me to buy it. I think I paid about 120 pounds for it in 1986 and I don't remember having a whole of lot of choice at that price in Rose Morris on Denmark Street(?), (London). But, it sounded good and now sounds even better through an appropriate amplifier. As for now, I am slightly embarrassed by the look!

However, I am convinced that a decent, basic bass such as this will sound good if well set up and played competently - a great bass doesn't make up for lack of talent.

I have found very little information on the Web about Quest basses and guitars. And I haven't come across anyone on Basschat who has admitted to having one. Any owners or former owners out there?

[quote name='twowheeledwriter' post='698339' date='Jan 1 2010, 08:31 PM']That's a term of affection, right? :) Cheers![/quote]

Generally, yes - wear your JapCrap with pride!

Found this on the Matsumoku website:

[url="http://www.matsumoku.org/models/vantage/catalogs/atak-manhattan/pg5.html"]http://www.matsumoku.org/models/vantage/ca...hattan/pg5.html[/url]

Seems that Quest was a sub-brand of Vantage who made some very fine instruments indeed.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='698488' date='Jan 2 2010, 01:28 AM']Generally, yes - wear your JapCrap with pride!

Found this on the Matsumoku website:

[url="http://www.matsumoku.org/models/vantage/catalogs/atak-manhattan/pg5.html"]http://www.matsumoku.org/models/vantage/ca...hattan/pg5.html[/url]

Seems that Quest was a sub-brand of Vantage who made some very fine instruments indeed.

Pete.[/quote]

Thanks for the link Pete. Interesting stuff.
Tim (proud JapCrap/Quest owner!)

Hey guys - long time lurker, first time poster!

I'm not a bass expert by any means, one of the reasons I've been too afraid to post before incase I embarrass myself with lack of knowledge!

On that subject, I need some help with a possible purchase - have saved up for a new bass for a while (got an ancient DeArmond Jetstar at the moment and it's seen better days) and have found my dream guitar. I love vintage beauties - found a '67 EB3 Gibson and think it looks the bee's knees. I've done some research and the price is a bargain for what it is, but want to know if anyone has actually played one or has any advice before I shell out. Looks are one thing, but how does it sound?

The actual model in question is [url="http://justgreatguitars.com/product/Bass/Gibson-EB3-bass-67.aspx"]this one[/url] - any thoughts, positive and especially negative, are greatly appreciated.

FYI - planning to play through a Line 6 LD175, do have some budget for a different amp if anyone reckons it'll sound rubbish through this.

[quote name='adamduceFTW' post='704166' date='Jan 7 2010, 01:58 PM']Hey guys - long time lurker, first time poster!

I'm not a bass expert by any means, one of the reasons I've been too afraid to post before incase I embarrass myself with lack of knowledge!

On that subject, I need some help with a possible purchase - have saved up for a new bass for a while (got an ancient DeArmond Jetstar at the moment and it's seen better days) and have found my dream guitar. I love vintage beauties - found a '67 EB3 Gibson and think it looks the bee's knees. I've done some research and the price is a bargain for what it is, but want to know if anyone has actually played one or has any advice before I shell out. Looks are one thing, but how does it sound?

The actual model in question is [url="http://justgreatguitars.com/product/Bass/Gibson-EB3-bass-67.aspx"]this one[/url] - any thoughts, positive and especially negative, are greatly appreciated.

FYI - planning to play through a Line 6 LD175, do have some budget for a different amp if anyone reckons it'll sound rubbish through this.[/quote]

Greetings & welcome...

It's been a very long time (25 years or so) since I played one of these - a friend in Somerset used to have one - but from what I recall of it I felt it was a wonderful bass from the point of view of playability, but not for tone...

The thing is that tone is entirely subjective. If I wanted to nail that 60s thumpy/gnarly Jack Bruce/Felix Pappalardi sound I'd be in there like a shot, such a slim, slick neck - so easy to fly around on.

If you wanted a more versatile tone, that could be achieved with aftermarket pickups, a new bridge (the original has nylon saddles!), & maybe a pre-amp - but of course that would destroy the originality & on '67 Gibson that'd be a daft thing to do unless you really didn't care a hoot about future value.

Only my opinion,

Pete

[quote name='leschirons' post='703599' date='Jan 6 2010, 11:38 PM']Hi, from La Creuse. Nice bass (and stonework)[/quote]

Ta. The stonework looks good but the dust is a pain! Still, it gives me an excuse to clean the bass. Plus, I bashed it against the wall a couple of times so have taken off three small chunks of the white finish...

:) Now Then Keith, can we get back to Inglasie, Happy New Year to you and Theresa, hope to see you in the summer, try to get to one of your gigs, I will get Jackie to bring a plastic wine glass. could you email again,as had to wipe the Pc and lost your address,Best Wishes Rich & Jackie :rolleyes: