Why become a member? ×

thumb rest

munkonthehill

ok boys and girls, ive noticed the odd bass having these thumb rests on them.

now im sure the answer is in the name of the product haha, but im just curious when you would use them.

during playing, my thumb rests on the pickup of my jag and when im idol, im usually scratching something.

so at what point would you use the thumb rest. im in no way interested in buying one just been curious for a while.

cheers
steven

[quote name='aznbass' post='690990' date='Dec 21 2009, 08:55 PM']Im not really sure on that one either, but i would love to get a P bass and put one near the bridge, so i can play it where i would normally play on the bridge pickup of a J bass.

I think i saw one on ebay like that, Looked niiiiceeee[/quote]

yeah that would make more sense having it in that position. but below the strings!!!!! how?????????????????????

I use them. My P-basses all have ashtrays so I can't rest on the pick up. I like the retro look of the covers & my oldest P-bass had rust on the original pickup after literally hundreds of gigs. If you see the thumb rest below the strings this was on earlier models to rest your fingers & play with your thumb.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='691001' date='Dec 21 2009, 09:07 PM']I use them. My P-basses all have ashtrays so I can't rest on the pick up. I like the retro look of the covers & my oldest P-bass had rust on the original pickup after literally hundreds of gigs. If you see the thumb rest below the strings this was on earlier models to rest your fingers & play with your thumb.

[/quote]

and the world is right again hahahahaha

cheers burrito

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='691001' date='Dec 21 2009, 09:07 PM']my oldest P-bass had rust on the original pickup after literally hundreds of gigs.[/quote]

Sorry, this isn't clear and I didn't want to edit as I've been quoted already. The rust on the pickup was from gigging pre-the ashtray covers. My point here is that at a hot sweaty gig I'd much rather sweat on a cheap bit of replaceable plastic as opposed to the pickup. Sorry, this post was bugging me!

I never used to clean down basses after playing and my general approach / attitude in my early days was very different to what it is now. I'm not suggesting that ashtray covers need protect a pickup, mine are just there because I like them. This was just a problem from my early playing days.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='691028' date='Dec 21 2009, 09:31 PM']Sorry, this isn't clear and I didn't want to edit as I've been quoted already. The rust on the pickup was from gigging pre-the ashtray covers. My point here is that at a hot sweaty gig I'd much rather sweat on a cheap bit of replaceable plastic as opposed to the pickup. Sorry, this post was bugging me!

I never used to clean down basses after playing and my general approach / attitude in my early days was very different to what it is now. I'm not suggesting that ashtray covers need protect a pickup, mine are just there because I like them. This was just a problem from my early playing days.[/quote]
Question BurritoBass: don't you find that playing so close to the neck means the strings have much less tension and thus a greater amplitude so that playing fast becomes very difficult? I know Geezer Butler plays there but he has a very unusual, idiosyncratic all-action picking style. I ask partly as I love the look of ashtrays but struggle to play when they are on

Edited by Clarky

I have ashtrays on my precisions & jazz, & also put one on my daisy rock. I use 'em as a hand rest using a style shamelessly ripped off from a certain Mr J Jamerson. Unfortunately I'm only able to emulate the style of positioning my hand - not the note-choices & rhythms employed by him. Also I don't go as far as doing the claw thing.

[quote name='Clarky' post='691038' date='Dec 21 2009, 09:45 PM']Question BurritoBass: don't you find that playing so close to the neck means the strings have much less tension and thus a greater amplitude so that playing fast becomes very difficult? I ask partly as I love the look of ashtrays but struggle to play when they are on[/quote]

I tend to play up there on the slower songs. Faster songs I tend to play back towards the bridge and occasionally I use a pick too. The ashtrays have been on my basses for the last 10yrs plus of playing so I'm used to them but they were definately an addition that took a while to get used to.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='690987' date='Dec 21 2009, 08:53 PM']ok boys and girls, ive noticed the odd bass having these thumb rests on them.
now im sure the answer is in the name of the product haha, but im just curious when you would use them.
during playing, my thumb rests on the pickup of my jag and when im idol, im usually scratching something.
so at what point would you use the thumb rest. im in no way interested in buying one just been curious for a while.
cheers
steven[/quote]

if you dont use them all the time...then i think they are pointless and inhibit movement of your plucking/fingering hand

like ashtrays they are cobwebs from the past..and imho dont add to tone or playability

If i owned a Stingray or another bass with a single pickup that far back i'd probably use a thumb rest. Either that or just float my thumb all the time

I used a MM bass as a spare once and felt the need for one.
It's not a probem for me on a P Bass because the pickup is in a much more convenient position

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='690992' date='Dec 21 2009, 08:59 PM']yeah that would make more sense having it in that position. but below the strings!!!!! how?????????????????????[/quote]

Basically,the original idea for the 'thumb' rest was to hook your fingers
underneath it and pluck the strings with your thumb at the end of the fingerboard.

I've never needed to use a thumb rest-i use the my thumb as a moveable anchor,
and rest it on either the pickup or on the strings.

[quote name='Doddy' post='691667' date='Dec 22 2009, 05:15 PM']Basically,the original idea for the 'thumb' rest was to hook your fingers
underneath it and pluck the strings with your thumb at the end of the fingerboard.

I've never needed to use a thumb rest-i use the my thumb as a moveable anchor,
and rest it on either the pickup or on the strings.[/quote]

thats my M.O too. just hate it when i rest my thumb on my stings and they touch the pickup hahaha, not a pleasant sound!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='691678' date='Dec 22 2009, 05:31 PM']thats my M.O too. just hate it when i rest my thumb on my stings and they touch the pickup hahaha, not a pleasant sound!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

You don't need to apply a lot of pressure-if any- on the string when you are resting the thumb on it.
If the string is touching the pickup poles,it sounds like you need to be a little lighter with your thumb-
I've never had that problem.

[quote name='Doddy' post='691683' date='Dec 22 2009, 05:41 PM']You don't need to apply a lot of pressure-if any- on the string when you are resting the thumb on it.
If the string is touching the pickup poles,it sounds like you need to be a little lighter with your thumb-
I've never had that problem.[/quote]

i know where im going wrong, just a case of being more gentle.