Why become a member? ×

did my first fretless gig last night

Dom in Dorset

I made myself an acoustic fretless about three months ago and I've been taking it along with my fretted to rehursals since then. I've been using it on about 50% of the songs, either due to confidence , required sound or I prefer fretted if I'm singing.
A few weeks back I was asked to join a second band replacing an upright player. I jumped at the chance to get some extra time on the fretless only taking that one to rehursals.
We did our first gig last night and to my horror I noticed that under dim stage lighting the black lines where the frets used to be on the dark brown board become invisible! I had good on stage sound and I'd learned the set inside out so It didn't turn out to be a problem, but it was unsettling for a moment.
A word of advice: if you are about to play your first gig on fretless make sure that you run through the set in a dark room!

Edited by Dom in Somerset

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='689651' date='Dec 20 2009, 12:12 PM']We did our first gig last night and to my horror I noticed that under dim stage lighting the black lines where the frets used to be on the dark brown board become invisible![/quote]
I think you'll find this is why 99% of lined fretless basses have the fret lines in a [b]lighter[/b] colour than the fingerboard.

Correctly positioned side markers, preferably fluorescent, are a life saver when some sod turns the lights out thinking it's more atmospheric that way.

Only thing is, when you're practicing, you need to use the side markers and not the lines.

i used to think I'd never get used to an unlined board until i got my side markers repositioned to the right places. But I think I could manage ok now.

Good on ya for taking the leap and gigging that thing.

fatback

Edited by fatback

Thinking about using my (rarely used) fretless at a jamnight tonite. Yes, I'll probably get plenty of 'pretentious t*at' comments (it's a rock night) but I just like the feel. I'd love to be able to play by ear but usually can't get enough definition from 'house' stacks/environments to do it accurately. Generally I end up focussed on the side dots like a cheetah on a wilderbeest.....

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='691518' date='Dec 22 2009, 02:03 PM']Reminds me of a friends gig where he had written the set list in pink hi lighter pen.

On come the stage lights. Blank page.

This is a bloke who'd been on TOTP, OGWT and everything. :)[/quote]

Ahhh... A [url="http://www.spinaltapfan.com/articles/stonehenge.html"]Spinal Tap Moment[/url]!

[b]martthebass[/b] Go for it, I say. Rock 'n' Roll, Don't Believe A Word, & Comfortably Numb all work just fine without Speed Bumps.

Alternatively get yer Jack Bruce hat on

Pete.