Why become a member? ×

loosing my virginity!

blind pilot

Know your material inside out.

Being able to play it 'blindfolded, on your own (ie no clues from anyone else, just your memory) several times, start to finish without a mistake' good.

If you can do that you wont have any reason for nerves :)

If you cant, run the set in your head without your bass when you dont have it with you, this kind of memorisation is used by pro sports people and performers a lot to help them negotiate complex procedures under pressure - it definitely works for pub musicians too!

Then there is the fact that you need to understand that as long as you play in time, [i]most[/i] punters cant tell a wrong note in the bass (other than a semitone out) from a punch in the face, especially after a couple of drinks...

Check all your kit the night before, stock up on batteries, picks (even a couple for your guitarists isnt a bad idea), spare strings (pre-fitted, then removed so a string change is very quick if you really need to do it), spare bass if you have one, check your set up and intonation too if you have time.

Get there with [b]plenty[/b] of time, chill as best you can, get your gear set up with plenty of time to spare. Keep your bass(es) in a hard case (if you have one) until you need to put one on.

Dont drink/smoke anything you shouldnt - it wont help.

Do check the set list, run through it one more time (esp anything you arent 100% about).

Chill out some more. Eat.

Before going on stage - take a leak!

Understand that the first song to song and a half are the hardest part. After that it should be an adrenalin ride all the way. Try not to rush the tempos, and groooooooooovvveeeee.....

WHEN you make a mistake (this is almost certain to occur) dont gurn, goof, puke, or stop, just keep on going, most punters wont notice.

Lastly enjoy it!

Edited by 51m0n

good luck !

and don't forget to eat - you may be nervous, and it's easy to get caught up in the giggage, but remember that you need to be ready for a bit of hard work....

so once you've soundchecked, don't hit the bar, hit the food - you'll be ready for the gig and it's a good way to relax

Edited by ahpook

Did the same in October! Trust me, it's the best fun you can have with your clothes on!

I'd add...

Write out a set list/crib sheet on A3 paper in thick black marker - here's a couple of examples from one I prepared earlier (title/key/structure/notes):

Dollars & Cents - F, 142*, 14 Bar, Start on 4 (Bb) [PICK]
50lbs of Bone - G, Rumba, Swing the solos

*progression (could be I-IV-II if you prefer)

Everything will be a LOT faster than you play it in rehearsal - combination of adrenalin & excitement with a touch of nerves - so try not to dig in too much early on or you run the risk of cramping up.

Gaffa Tape, fuses & a spare 4-way extension.

Spare lead, tuner & a towel (all compulsory).

Try & start with something that's "up" yet simple - As 51m0n posted, once you're into the second number you'll be away.

If you smoke, one of those plastic Nicorette fags to help during the first set - you won't need it on set 2!

Get a TRUSTED friend or two in the audience to be your ears. After the first or second number use hand signals to see if you need to turn up or down or if the level is OK. If they reckon you're loud enough & you can't hear yourself move as far away from the amp as you can - you might feel exposed, but it'll help.

Pete.

cheers y'all, some helpful hints there,

our setlist will be:
Alive
Plush
In Bloom
Rooster
Creep
No One knows
Toxicity
Aerials
Lithium
Sober
Killing In The Name Of
Slither
Aenima
Heart Shaped Box.

Can you guess what Genre of music we favour :) TBH the bits i am most worried about are the chorus in plush and the Small bass solo in No One Knows thats right up in the dusty end!

Edited by blind pilot

[quote name='blind pilot' post='688561' date='Dec 18 2009, 05:26 PM']Can you guess what Genre of music we favour[/quote]

Progressive Lounge Jazz? No, Wait. Ermmm... Nu-ShoeCoreMathGrind?

It's not disco, is it?

[quote name='blind pilot' post='688561' date='Dec 18 2009, 05:26 PM']TBH the bits i am most worried about ... the Small bass solo in No One Knows thats right up in the dusty end![/quote]

Self-inflicted. I have no sympathy - just go for it! (& don't forget the Small bass).

One more thing...

WHERE & WHEN????

Edited by Bloodaxe

If you're working with a sound engineer, be nice to him! He will be the difference between making you sound good (if you're nice) or atrocious (if you're rude and he's a knob). If he sets your on-stage level... DO NOT TOUCH IT!!! Same goes for other band members.

Also, if you're playing with others, talk to them and share your (in)experiences. They may give you a 'big-up' which does help!

2nd or 3rd on the bill? Do not start to set up your gear until the band that have just played have broken down their set-up. You'll just get in the way and may end up breaking something of your own (bad) or something of theirs (really BAD and expensive!!) Happened to us last night with a 'headlining' act on thier debut gig.... the guitarsole 'doinked' our singer-guitarist's '64 SG in his mad rush to the stage. Martin's growl shook the room!!! :rolleyes:

Other than that... take a deep breath and enjoy yourself!! You'll be a veteran in no time!! :)

hi, hope it all went well..
nerves are relative. playing needs to be automatic ! know your parts inside out to a click track (even if your drummer doesn't). one main thing that really helps though, is BREATHING !!! try to learn your parts without losing your natural rhythm of breathing, so even if you're trying to play fast, play lightly at first to a click and then dig in later when you're used to the tempo or groove. i'm not a hippy or 'owt but it just smoothes everything out and makes your playing less forced.

Edited by phil.i.stein

:)

hey guys, sorry to keep you in suspense, it was a late night and later morning(ahem afternoon).......well here is how it went...

we were due to go on at 9:30, but were delayed by 30 mins, the nerves at this point were amazing, my hands were really shaking, and i was struggling to get the bass tuning checked. Anyway the call goes out, i slip on the Nez, double check all is as it should be with tunings, a nod from drummer and guitarist and were off, into Alive, I hit the first 'A' bang on and equally so with the octave, before you know it were are halfway through the song, i feel like its going good, finish the song with no drama, Next up Plush, straight into it, bang on time, great tempo, better sound, then all of a sudden my mouth looses all traces of moisture, i mean really superdry, i just concentrate on the song, and its over before i know, grab a fast drink, and then we play on. To the end of the set, i felt really relaxed, felt fluid and was really "feeling" our music!

A couple of notes not quite hit bang on throughout the set, but no one noticed, and every song finished with a massive cheer.

Highlight of the night, was Sober, it was super tight it just felt so right!

To sum up, I had fun, enjoyed myself, honestly can say we entertained and we got some fantastic comments after, including "you version of Creep was the best i have ever heard live" and "i thought you guys would be good but......that was amazing!"

cant wait for the next gig, and thanks to you guys on here for the advice, it came in handy!

im now signing off, time to chill with the wife.....still buzzing really(can you tell) !

thanks again! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Also playing my first "gig" tonight - I say "gig" because it's a last minute thing at the singer's surprise 40th birthday party (the party is the surprise, not the birthday...). The singer's husband persuaded us to do it - I just hope she's up for it!

Actually, I have performed live before - last time was 18 years ago, as guitarist in a band. But I'm a bass virgin.

Anyway, I just read through the advice in this topic - so I will try to follow some of it. It's very useful sutff. I know from experience that drinking and playing is a BAD idea, for me at least.

It helps to have some others out there in cyberspace who have been through this before. :)