Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Electric Wood anyone?

NickTann

As I understand it, at the moment Pete is not working. There is a WAL owners forum somewhere on the web, don't know the name, where you might find more info.

If you have a crackle it might be corrosion in the barrel of the socket. I had that. Get some very fine sandpaper (very, very fine) and clean up the inside of the barrel.

I don't know if he is still there, but Paul Herman used to work with Charlie Chandler, at the shop in Hampton Wick. As an ex WAL worker he might be able to help. Failing that any good repair man should be able to fix the problem.

[quote name='chris_b' post='74968' date='Oct 16 2007, 10:38 AM']I don't know if he is still there, but Paul Herman used to work with Charlie Chandler, at the shop in Hampton Wick. As an ex WAL worker he might be able to help. Failing that any good repair man should be able to fix the problem.[/quote]
Paul certainly is still there, he did my Groove 5er a month or so ago :)

I think the jack is just a standard Switchcraft stereo - shouldn't be a difficult fix. I'd replace it rather than clean it up - otherwise you're waiting for it to happen again? if you're not happy soldering then look at the luthier list on here for someone in your area.

Good luck

BB

Electric Wood is no more, dissolved at the end of last year, and Pete Stevens is effectively retired due to poor health.

[url="http://thedudepit.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ceea59a9e48e79abc17c390d07e46298&topic=645.0"]http://thedudepit.com/simplemachinesforum/...amp;topic=645.0[/url]

All very sad really.

[quote name='chris_b' post='74968' date='Oct 16 2007, 10:38 AM']As I understand it, at the moment Pete is not working. There is a WAL owners forum somewhere on the web, don't know the name, where you might find more info.

If you have a crackle it might be corrosion in the barrel of the socket. I had that. Get some very fine sandpaper (very, very fine) and clean up the inside of the barrel.

I don't know if he is still there, but Paul Herman used to work with Charlie Chandler, at the shop in Hampton Wick. As an ex WAL worker he might be able to help. Failing that any good repair man should be able to fix the problem.[/quote]

Paul Herman is taking over the production of Wal's apparently, though he's got his work cut out upgrading Wals electronics to current safety standards and other work commitments.

The part needed is a switchcraft 13 jack socket.

[quote name='Musky' post='74994' date='Oct 16 2007, 11:28 AM']Paul Herman is taking over the production of Wal's apparently, though he's got his work cut out upgrading Wals electronics to current safety standards and other work commitments.[/quote]

That's good news, would be a shame to see Wal disappear completely. Plus Paul is probably the only man up to the job, let's face it!

Thank you so much for your replies and the great news about Wal.
I will pass this on to Brian at Hayward guitars in Winchester who "does" my guitars.
I'm a clutz at anything electrical and get sweaty just changing the battery!
This is my first day as a basschat member and I'm very impressed.
Thanks again

[quote name='chris_b' post='74968' date='Oct 16 2007, 10:38 AM']There is a WAL owners forum somewhere on the web, don't know the name, where you might find more info.[/quote]
There is a Yahoo Group - [email protected] and also a group at Dudepit

Check the Yahoo Group as there was a chap in Harrow a while back who was going to see Peter everysooften & picking up parts ordered via him through the group

[quote name='BassBod' post='74998' date='Oct 16 2007, 11:39 AM']Great news about Paul...all the best for the future of Wal.

BB[/quote]

Paul's a top quality craftsman; I thought that WAL was sold to Headline and Gavin Mortimer the distributor that handles PRS??

Anyone know any different or did that deal fall through after the announcements were made?

Edited by Bassman7

[quote name='Bassman7' post='75062' date='Oct 16 2007, 02:03 PM']Paul's a top quality craftsman; I thought that WAL was sold to Headline and Gavin Mortimer the distributor that handles PRS??

Anyone know any different or did that deal fall through after the announcements were made?[/quote]

'Headline' got AHEAD of themselves and announced a deal BEFORE the ink had dried. Pete Stevens is not one to be forced into anything, especially concerning his beloved WAL, and backed out.... quite rightly...

[quote name='chris_b' post='75095' date='Oct 16 2007, 03:29 PM']Indeed...... and, hang on to those original Wal's.[/quote]

I was very lucky to be able to get Pete himself to re-fret & re-finish the neck of my Wal (bought new by me in 1987!) in March of last year & he was far from well then...
And what a great old boy - he signed the neck for me, complete with a little 'fish' icon. I hadn't asked, or expected him to - so it was a nice surprise to see it when I got the neck back. I suppose that adds to the value of the bass - NOT that I'll ever be selling it!

[attachment=2900:wal_w2935_refret.jpg]

And so great to hear that the Wal name will live on!

Edited by 99ster