Why become a member? ×

Obscure Musical Backwaters - The Great SGC Nanyo Thread

Happy Jack

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1502317534' post='3350701']
I'm guessing you're not selling though? :D
Maybe you could put a picture up, just as a tease (unless I missed it elsewhere in the thread, which is a possibility) :)
The only thing that would put me off getting another Bass Collection would be that I don't want the current one to feel unloved... it's just about perfection. I've done the "I'll never sell this bass..." thing before, but this one might actually stick around. (You can quote that back to me in 12 months' time...)
[/quote]

This is the only fretless that I've actually gelled with and I think I paid just over £100 for it. It would be stupid to sell it, kick myself in a few weeks and look to find another.

I did this with a MM Stingray - first one was great, second one was mediocre - still looking for a mid 80s with quilted neck at a reasonable price.

As Roger Daltrey said..."I won't get fooled again.."

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1502401006' post='3351281']
This is the only fretless that I've actually gelled with and I think I paid just over £100 for it. It would be stupid to sell it, kick myself in a few weeks and look to find another.

I did this with a MM Stingray - first one was great, second one was mediocre - still looking for a mid 80s with quilted neck at a reasonable price.

As Roger Daltrey said..."I won't get fooled again.."
[/quote]
Yeah, guess I'm just going to have to wait, keep my eyes open and hope. If you ever do go completely mad and decide to sell... you know where to find me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Bought, what I thought was, a white 5er ([i]why?? I know I don't get on with 5ers[/i]) - turns out it is actually pearlescent Ivory - lovely finish, plays great. Photos to follow - feel free to prompt me if they're not done within the next week.

Don't be surprised if it's up for sale in the next month or so...

It's a 95, model SB321 SGR (see through green), if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.basscentre.com/user/Bass%20Collection/Bass%20Collection%20Nanyo%20Catalogue/Bass%20Collection%20Japan%2095%20Catalogue%2004.jpg

I played it all day yesterday, so there's every chance it may replace my Yamaha TRB504 as my favourite. I'm sure it's even lighter than the Yamaha.

The only problem is that the gold hardware is tarnished so I'm thinking of buying a re-plating kit off ebay. I do like to dabble and I'm sure I could use the kit for other things as well...

I'm guessing that the SB321 is a fretless - all four illustrations there are either fretless of lined fretless.

This is my SB320:

http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/library/Basses%20CURRENT/SGC%20Nanyo%20Bass%20Collection%20SB320%20CURRENT

Puzzled by the reference to tarnished hardware. I've had five of these basses (to date) and most had the gold hardware ... don't remember seeing this before.

Yours is absolutely stunning. I'd be afraid to use one that looks that good. :)

The SB321[i]MF[/i] would be a fretless 4. My understanding is that yours (and mine) is a 320 [i]series[/i], but model SB321, i.e. fretted 4 string.

I'm only going off the model nos. at the bottom of the '96 catalogue, so could well be wrong. :ph34r:

Unfortunately my gold plate is flaking in places, due to underlying corrosion. I'll get more detailed photos up a little later.

The gold plate on these basses seems to be a bit poor - Jack's hardware is a little bit discoloured too, although my photos don't highlight the problem. I'm guessing a degree of wear where the hand rests while playing is inevitable. I think that only happens with the gold colour, though - my Bass Collection has black hardware that's clearly been through a different process, and it's not discolouring.
Lovely models, both :)

Interesting.

I've just found my scales and weighed some of my basses - all values given include straps, and some of my straps are better/heavier than others, but:

Peavey Millenium AC BXP - 4.0 kg (nylon strap)
Yamaha RBX 170 - 3.9 kg (padded leather strap)
Yamaha TRBX 504 - 3.8 kg (neoprene and suede strap)
Yamaha RBX A2 (that one that's marketed as a really light bass...) - 3.5 kg (nylon strap)
Nanyo SB321 - 3.5 kg (nylon strap)

Hi everyone,

I'm Nelson, from Portugal.

I bought a Nanyo Bass Collection SB300 Series, impossible to check serial number. Some photos:

[url="https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNEAKqEO8tkNR9BDA26SSIG-mliV0-1ru4XAw--uPGfS7e1cm7jNxnIZv4bTH8mWQ?key=dEExQ1BrZDlEWTdPTGlxY3dkRDB2ZkliWVRaTU1n"]https://photos.googl...DB2ZkliWVRaTU1n[/url]

[url="https://photos.app.goo.gl/SBJGbeUfDQwzmu0x1"]https://photos.app.g...JGbeUfDQwzmu0x1[/url]

Can someone give me some information about this model? It's in very good condition, and i would like to know how old it is :-)

Thanks.

Edited by regidor

• 7 months later...

I love seeing this thread rise back up the boards, even when it's just a bump.
Such a great collection of knowledge and info, so thanks to all those whom have contributed.

I really should spend some more time on my SB301 instead of looking at acquiring a fretless.