Why become a member? ×

wal bass - are they really worth the premium?

blind pilot

[quote name='blind pilot' post='979243' date='Oct 6 2010, 06:20 AM']46&2 was just unreal, everyone commented on how much I have nailed the tone.[/quote]

Thats pretty funny considering thats an EBMM tone that you "nailed" and not the Wal that was used to record 46&2

I have played a gazillion basses and NOTHING comes close to the UNIQUE sound of the Wal. Some of the mids and highs of other basses can sound a little like it but the low end there is nothing.

Here is proof!....If you dont have a vid or audio file to post to compare to disagree with my comment dont bother wasting your time replying.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWYHdOR6TvU"]Wal MKI DEMO[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtM-rKr-ueI"]Wal MKII DEMO[/url]

:)

Here is the closest your going to get. Mids and highs are a bit more tin sounding than the Wal but are close. Unfortunately the E string does not have the Wal "growl" that is VERY present in all Tool recording using the Wal. You can also hear the "growl" im talking about in most of the songs on RHCP Blood Sugar Sex Magik

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/remiiiiiii#p/u/11/mzQPru77h-U"]Wal Copy that is pretty close on mids and highs[/url]

As I've said before, I believe the "true" Wal tone is in the fingers. Geddy Lee and Jonas Hellborg got it. When you're playing Wal basses with a pick they lose that wonderfully voiced magic they have. As I've said before, the Bongo is a perfectly acceptable substitute for Wal pick tones, especially if you're playing TOOL songs. Justin smothers his basses in so many layers of effects that the essential tone of the Wal underneath is masked. A Bongo with some fresh strings and the treble backed off slightly with the mids accentuated is a perfect substitute for a Wal in these circumstances.

Similarly, the Bongo will be a fantastic second best in terms of fingerstyle playing, but with a pick and notably, with a load of effects pedals most people would certainly struggle to tell it from a Wal.

A Stingray sounds nothing like a Wal, I've owned 3 Wals, and 3 Stingrays. The Stingrays sounded like Stingrays, and the Wal's like, well Wal;s :).

The main thing that gived the Wal it's characteristic sound is the electronics, the pickups and pre. It's a filter based pre a bit like the Alembic and the ACG.

The closest I've got to a Wal sound is my Sei that's fitted with an ACG circuit.

A Wal is a Wal, I have two.... I also have two Sei's and they do come close in playability and to a certain degree versatility, but a Wal is pretty unique in its tone and sound variation... Having said that, there is a lot to be said about "a lot in the fingers of a player"

Having recently taken ownership of a Wal (a '78 ProIIE) I have to say I think my Alembic is better put together and I prefer the tone of the Alembic. Not saying the Wal isn't a nice bass, just that I prefer my Alembic. I'm sure plenty will disagree with me but the Alembics I have played are just the height of craftsmanship, whereas the Wal is more like a quality step up from Fender with superior electronics. Waits for bricks from the Wal devotees ....

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='983712' date='Oct 10 2010, 07:58 PM']Having recently taken ownership of a Wal (a '78 ProIIE) I have to say I think my Alembic is better put together and I prefer the tone of the Alembic. Not saying the Wal isn't a nice bass, just that I prefer my Alembic. I'm sure plenty will disagree with me but the Alembics I have played are just the height of craftsmanship, whereas the Wal is more like a quality step up from Fender with superior electronics. Waits for bricks from the Wal devotees ....[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. Wals are amazing, and for what they do, they're unique. However, Alembics are better made and generally feel more "incredible". FWIW, I think the Alembic electronics are generally better too, particularly the "space ship" setups like the Series II Anniversary stuff. However, they're very different basses and suit different things. I wouldn't take the Wal to a Level 42 tribute show, for instance.

[quote name='Laurence' post='983778' date='Oct 10 2010, 08:59 PM']I've just ordered one from Paul Herman and I believe they are well worth the money and the wait!!
The basses seem expensive but some of the extra add-ons that used to be an add-on now come as standard
with the bass such as the case and some of the rarer woods.[/quote]
Hey Laurence I'm not knocking Wals, I'm bigging up Alembics! I'm sure a new Wal will be an object of desire, based on the pics of Paul Herman's recent creations posted on Basschat (like the fretless posted a day or two ago). I just feel that my particular Wal is less 'special' than my Alembic. Wasn't meaning to rain on your parade!

[quote name='Clarky' post='983712' date='Oct 10 2010, 07:58 PM']... whereas the Wal is more like a quality step up from Fender with superior electronics. Waits for bricks from the Wal devotees ....[/quote]

Very mischievous :lol:

Don't worry, I won't be throwing bricks as I tend to find this whole is X better than Y or is X worth this much a little pointless in the long run as it's such a subjective thing.

I think there's always been a heirarchy of what's considered the best quality bass and Alembic has [u]always[/u] been at the top of that, with the young pretender Fodera now pushing at their heels.

It's true that when I bought my Wal (well my Dad bought it for me - bless him) back in the early 80's a Wal was comparable in price to a Jaydee or even a BC Rich Mockingbird (as that pointy bass was one of my first loves and I almost got it instead of my Wal), even then the Alembics were far more expensive. Wal's weren't really seen as exotic or anything yet they were in many ways [b]the[/b] bass of the 80's with numerous bassist in high profile bands using them. The bolt on neck of the Wal was often seen as lower quality than the thru-necks, the design of the MKI was very basic and conservative compared to the exotica of the Alembics and the neck profile was loved and loathed in equal amounts. You either like them or you don't.

What I will say is that I personally haven't yet come across a bass that matched my Wal custom for sheer playability, versatility and pure beautiful sound and the fact that to this very day I regret more than anything that I never bought the Wal Custom fretless that sat next to my fretted in a guitar shop in Bradford, says the effect Wal's have had on me.

I'd love an Alembic Stanley Clarke and/or a Fodera Imperial but if you asked me to swap my Wal custom for either (EDIT: or both) I'd simply say "no thanks" :) (EDIT: of course there could be a large sentimental reason as well as to why I wouldn't get rid of my Wal :)).

Edited by purpleblob

I have owned two Wals. I bought a used but great condition red ProIIE from the bass center in 1987 for £300. I found the receipt last month. That one was real nice, lovely low action and sounded very electric and growly like Lee Gormans from Bow Wow Wow.

I had a Wal Custom in recent years that I didn't like it as much. Still a Wal but these days my tastes have changed and I find them very electric sounding, very active sounding instruments with little natural 'warmth'. It's a different animal to what I like now. I loved that sound in the 80s.

Do I think they are worth £3200 plus for a new one? No. I think the new price is a reflection on the used prices we have been seeing in the last 10 years. If I can get say, a new Status S2 for £2200 or whatever from Rob Green I would expect a Wal to be no more than £500 more.

:) Heya Clarky nice to hear from you again!
I do agree that it does all come down to personal taste, that's why I'm buying a custom Wal neck as I don't tend to get along with the standard V profile.
I think of all the Wals I've tried the basses I didn't take to as much were the Pro Series, although I'm yet to try out a fretless from any of the series!!

Having owned one in the past I'd say no, for me they wouldn't be worth the money at the current used/new prices. Nice basses, but not THAT nice for me. Nice for the £500 I spent on mine (although it was a VERY well used example at that price) IMHO and YMMV.

I have owned around 11 Wal basses the last 17 years...
At a certain moment I had five but now I have only one left (the one you see in my avatar)
When I first heard "This is the House" in the eighties by Eurythmics with Dean Garcia on his Wal bass, I was blown away and I thought it was the most beautiful sound ever. I wrote a letter to Electric Wood and I got a reply from Ian Waller with all the specs of Garcia's bass. I still have that letter locked away.
I didn't have the cash so I started with "cheap" basses.
The last twenty years I have tried numerous basses (around a 100) and I flirted with Jaydee, Alembic, Sadowsky, Fodera, etc..
In 1993 I bought my first Wal which I sold (I hope to buy it back this year) because I was curious about other basses.
In the end I still go back to my MKI Wal bass which I bought later on...
I can't express just how amazing it is and how it surprises me still. It's got a way to cut through the sound of any band like no other bass can.
It has loads of sound possibilities but funny enough I keep going back to the same position which nails it for me (bridge and neck pick-up on 4 and a tiny bit of treble added with the volume pulled out).
I had around 29 basses two or three years ago...I kept selling all those who were redundant and in the end all that'll be left is my old Wal. It isn't the easiest bass to play (the necks are a bit chunky) but the "snap" you get out of it is unequaled (not even my Alembic Mark King had that) and I still haven't found a bass which has the same sound as a Wal.
Something in those mids and that "honk" which seems so right..

• 5 weeks later...

I played one today.

And I loved every second of it. I drifted off for an hour in total.

The one I played today was a Fretless MkII, and i'm unsure if i'd spend £3k+ on a bass I wouldn't use every single song.

Would I have given it's asking price and paid Paul Herman to either fret it, or make a fretted neck? Hell yeah.

Alas, not for sale... :)

I went back and forth between it and my Ken Smith Burner Artist (a really special bass) and although the two were close, my hand seemed to enjoy the 'V' neck profile, and I played better for it.

It's purely subjective, I know, but I now totally understand why these basses are so sought after.

Fretted Mach I is needed in this bass players house.

PS. The comparisons with the Bongo HH is fair, the Wal had similar characteristics. (I had a Bongo HH for 3 years, and still hate myself for moving it on, more than any bass i've sold).

Just take a look at that guy and what he's getting out of his MKII fretless - incredible :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD2xS91Mi84&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD2xS91Mi84...feature=related[/url]

Hard to copy those sounds with a different bass. I love mine and they are worth every cent I paid for them.

[quote name='spiritchaser' post='1018883' date='Nov 10 2010, 03:28 PM']Just take a look at that guy and what he's getting out of his MKII fretless - incredible :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD2xS91Mi84&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD2xS91Mi84...feature=related[/url]

Hard to copy those sounds with a different bass. I love mine and they are worth every cent I paid for them.[/quote]

crazyness - I too found that last night - its awesom - but I heard the poor guy had his Wal stolen! that sucks man!

[quote name='spiritchaser' post='1018883' date='Nov 10 2010, 03:28 PM']Just take a look at that guy and what he's getting out of his MKII fretless - incredible :)

Hard to copy those sounds with a different bass. I love mine and they are worth every cent I paid for them.[/quote]

At first when I saw all those effects pedals I expected that to be the usual load of lazy crap that people with massive racks of effects are tempted to create, but it was alright! It's a shame the Wal tone was a bit buried there.

[quote name='blind pilot' post='673985' date='Dec 4 2009, 10:30 AM']hey all,

now let me start off by saying i am a complete noob, been playing for 8 months now after a 13 year break, back in band and will be gigging soon, where we cover some Tool songs.

having done my research i see Justin Chancellor uses a Wal bass, and this helps to get his tone, i have got fairly close to this tone using my ibanez srx 300 and a tube emulator pedal, and although i love the look of the Wal, can it really justify the £3200+ price tag (used on the bay are way over £2000) ?

discusss:-[/quote]

Yep the early ones are the nuts (i.e. the ones made in high wycombe) dont know about the new ones because 'Wal' the geezer who designed made them died a few years ago, but i guess the new ones are made to the same design. I think the secret to wals apart from the amazing tone woods is the pickups (their own design).

I have had 2 Wal basses for a long time. My PRO1 fretless gets very little use. My Mk1 Custom has been rested for a few years while I bought and played some 80's classics (Yamaha BB1100s, Aria SB1000, Ibanez MC824). Took the MK1 out last night for the first time in ages and was blown away... AGAIN.

These instruments are amazing, can produce virtually any tone and are built like tanks... heavy, but well balanced. Some might say the looks are dated but heh! I bought a pair of Converse All Stars yesterday!!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_4Nl_qFF8o"]A bit of Wal magic[/url] from John Giblin.

I've had a few nice basses and the Wals really do have a tone of their own. Never had an Alembic, but from what I've had, only two brands have had a very characteristic tone of their own unamplified: Roscoe and Spector. Every other make of bass that I've had either has a proprietary electronics thing going on (Wal, obviously, F-Bass, Leduc, Ken Smith, Skjold, Sadowsky, Overwater etc) or does a generic 'vintage' or 'modern' tone like, say, Valenti or Moon. Sadly, some brands with proprietary electronics still have a pretty generic tone. On the gripping hand, if you're a session man, having a bass with a generic, flexible, tone and personalized ergonomics may just be what your [i]professional performance[/i] calls for. It's no wonder Overwaters are so popular with the session guys working high-profile gigs... I'll get one of those again one day.

• 6 years later...

Hey, I've just seen this old thread and thought I'd add some thoughts.

First of all I read a lot of people finding the cost of a new Wal from £3200 as too high. They now start from £5300.

I play a Mk1 fretless 4 string. I bought it second hand around 1990 for £800, which was a lot then. At the time I played an american Precision, which was a great bass but once I had the Wal the Fender just sat in it's case. In the end I sold it. I probably should have held onto it just for its investment value but it wouldn't have got played.

As for the Wal I just love it and haven't played anything else since. I so often get comments from people about its sound, both other musicians and just ordinary punters who don't have any idea what a Wal is. Interestingly sound engineers love it!

Cheers, Ian