Why become a member? ×

In praise of Jon Shuker and Wizard pickups

niceguyhomer

I'm not known for keeping basses very long but I've had my Shuker for about 5 or 6 months now and my love grows stronger every day. At first I wasn't sure about the tone of the thing, it seemed very bright with not much bottom end and so I used to boost the bass and mids almost all the way to compensate.

I spoke to Jon about it and he recommended changing the Nordstrand pups for something else and made a few recommendations that would slot right in the existing routs. In the end, I decided to get some custom wound Wizards made - they were half the price of the Nordstrands but I'm so glad I did.

I've had them in for about 3 months now and they've absolutely transformed the instrument sonically - now it's tight and punchy with superb top and bottom end - the B string is unbelievably clear for a 34" scale and would put a lot of 35"ers to shame.

I can't fault this bass at all - it's a joy to play, looks the biz, stays in tune and fook me, it sings through my Aguilar rig. I was never really one for custom made basses but one of the main advantages for me is being able to meet and talk with the maker and Jon is great to deal with. If I need anything doing, he's only an hour away and the standard of his work is a joy to behold, he doesn't ask for much money either.

Anyway, had to share that with ya - reverse rant over....and no, it won't be up for sale next week or for a long time after.

Hey Homer,
glad you're still loving the Shuker.
Having a go of this beautiful instrument was one of the highlights of the Moffat Bash for me (that and your loverly rig).
It's just an incredibly articulate and full sounding bass, and seemed to get so much more out of the Shuker preamp too!
You've got me thinking about maybe trying some Wizards in my own Shuker now!... :)

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='674236' date='Dec 4 2009, 03:21 PM']They were switchable Dual Coils. I'm not slagging them off - they may be good pick ups but they didn't give me the sound I like with this particular bass.[/quote]

I would've loved to have heard the comparison...
I'd always rated Nordstrand highly, based purely on what I'd read or been told, but having heard how good this bass sounds, if I was looking for custom pickups or replacements, I'd be knocking on Wizard's door first (god I hope "Wizard's Door" isn't a euphemism for anything horrible, I'd best check the Viz Profanisaurus...)

Cheers,
Eude

Best bass I've ever had my hands on this one? It's a tough call between this and Peter's US Spector, but between them, any bass player could give up searching for anything else, they're the best of the best IMO.

This Shuker was superb before, but now with the help of Andy from Wizard it's utterly sublime.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='674002' date='Dec 4 2009, 10:49 AM']Best ring Andy - he's a great guy and a lot of help. I won't buy pickups anywhere else now.[/quote]
+1 I remember you and I chatting about replacements.

I won't have any other kind of soapbars in my instruments either. The kiwi customs he made me are astounding - warm, sweet and clean.

[quote name='eude' post='674172' date='Dec 4 2009, 01:55 PM']Having a go of this beautiful instrument was one of the highlights of the Moffat Bash for me (that and your loverly rig).[/quote]

Agreed :)

I just bought a new pickup for my Sei and had the option of Nordstrand or a Kent Armstrong. As I have Armstrong pickups in my ACG, I knew that they could wind something great, so I just asked them for something big and rockin'.

Just as in the Shuker, the Sei has come alive. Seems like the UK pickup gurus can more than hold there own.

[quote name='7string' post='674562' date='Dec 4 2009, 10:38 PM']Seems like the UK pickup gurus can more than hold there own.[/quote]
Andy at Wizard used to work for Kent Armstrong so has wound pickups for some fairly well known US based manufacturers

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='674307' date='Dec 4 2009, 04:40 PM']Alan, any news?

Peter[/quote]

If you mean about my plans to buy a Status Pedro then it's bad news. Out of the goodness of my heart I let the cat sleep in the other night cos it was so cold. The bitch pissed all over the couch in Hazel's consulting room so my funds have been diverted elsewhere.

Got a Reggie Hamilton arriving today as a back up to the Shuker.

Fooking cats. :)

Edited by niceguyhomer

I did exactly the same as you NGH, and replace dmy Nordstrands for Wizards on my Shuker Jazz and what a difference.
I had the Big Singles going from reputation and loved the single coil sound, but boy were they noisy. Got Andy at Wizard to custom wind a set of replacements and has made all the difference. Was thinking of selling the Shuker for nothing more than couldn't get rid of the buzz and now it's a definite keeper. Best bass I've worked with, and Jon is A1.

Had same problem in my Sei Jazz with the same pickups, Nordstrands and have swapped them for the Wizards too.

Can't rate Jon Shuker highly enough. I though Martin Petersen was good regards custom builds but Jon is at another level IMHO. Not in terms of build quality, but in overall customer service especially.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='673989' date='Dec 4 2009, 10:36 AM']The day I sell this is the day I stop playing bass Paul :)[/quote]

Oddly enough that's how I feel about my Shuker Precision.

However this one never got me like that. I suspect that even if I'd done the same pickup change I'd have not bonded with it. Loved looking at it though :rolleyes:
I am, however, absolutely over the moon that it's turned out to be a great bass for you, Al. After Mike sold it I was wondering if it might turn into one of those ones that circulate around BC for ever .....

It's somewhat gratifying that so many people like the look feel and playability too as I spent ages on those aspects during the planning.
The idea was to have a bass very much like the P5 in terms of feel, neck profile and balance but with the contrast in the modern (and pretty) body and contemporary sound fom actives and maple.