Why become a member? ×

Ampeg B series cabs

bassjamm

Hi everyone,

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts are on the Ampeg B410HE and HLF cabs? I've never played one, but i'm in the marktet for a 4x10 at the moment. I've heard the Classic SVT series, but not the B series.

How do they differ?

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jamie

Hi, I got the B 410 HE a few weeks ago and it sounds great. Its not very often you come across a 200 watt 4x10 so I snapped one up as soon as they came out. The only issue I would have with it is the covering. Its seems to be a thin nylon or vinyl material which would get banged up easily.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='676315' date='Dec 6 2009, 11:35 PM']yeah i would probably like a 1x15 to go along with my 4x10 but its the impedence thats stopping me......any idea what my output from my ashdown 600h(575watts) would be if i ran 2x4ohme cabs in parallel?[/quote]

It'd need to be able to handle a 2 ohm load firstly wouldn't it, and It probably won't offer any more output, you'd just be moving more air is all?

You find a lot of the older SVT's go down to 2 ohms as the cabs back then couldn't put out the full power of the amps, so you'd have to get 2 great big 4 ohm cabs to sort out that problem.

My old SVT II put out the same wattage at 4 and 2 ohms.

I have a B410HE, its a great cab and I use it for practice and really love the sound.

I agree having the 4ohm impedence is a pain but for a useable half stack it does the business.

I agree about the covering though, it is somewhat flimsy compared to some other cabs

[quote name='bassjamm' post='677391' date='Dec 8 2009, 12:22 AM']It'd need to be able to handle a 2 ohm load firstly wouldn't it, and It probably won't offer any more output, you'd just be moving more air is all?

You find a lot of the older SVT's go down to 2 ohms as the cabs back then couldn't put out the full power of the amps, so you'd have to get 2 great big 4 ohm cabs to sort out that problem.

My old SVT II put out the same wattage at 4 and 2 ohms.[/quote]

sorry ment parallel, I have now amended correctly

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='678341' date='Dec 8 2009, 07:25 PM']sorry ment parallel, I have now amended correctly[/quote]

Try it out. Not in series, in parallel :)

You'd probably find you'd get a slightly different, less distorted, fuller tone, but not a great deal of increase in volume.

I'm confused here...what's the difference between series and parallel when it comes to cabs?

Is parallel taking a line out from the amp to 2 separate cabs, so 2 8 ohm cabs? And series, taking 1 line out to cab A, and then taking a line out of cab A and hooking it up to cab B? And if both were 4 ohm, you'd create an 8 ohm load?

Forgive me if I'm asking some what elementary questions!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='679764' date='Dec 10 2009, 12:01 AM']I'm confused here...what's the difference between series and parallel when it comes to cabs?

Is parallel taking a line out from the amp to 2 separate cabs, so 2 8 ohm cabs? And series, taking 1 line out to cab A, and then taking a line out of cab A and hooking it up to cab B? And if both were 4 ohm, you'd create an 8 ohm load?

Forgive me if I'm asking some what elementary questions![/quote]

Double outputs on the back of amps and cabs are AFAIK always wired in parallel so taking two leads from the amp to two cabs or taking one lead from the amp to the first cab and then another out of the cab to a second cab will have exactly the same effect, which will be that both cabs will be in parallel.

It's quite a confusing concept to get you head round at first. To connect two cabs in series on the amp's output would require a specially made cable.

Edited by AndyMartin

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='680454' date='Dec 10 2009, 05:49 PM']Double outputs on the back of amps and cabs are AFAIK always wired in parallel so taking two leads from the amp to two cabs or taking one lead from the amp to the first cab and then another out of the cab to a second cab will have exactly the same effect, which will be that both cabs will be in parallel.

It's quite a confusing concept to get you head round at first. To connect two cabs in series on the amp's output would require a specially made cable.[/quote]

Some cabs have two connectors so you can connect them in series. One in, one out. Or you can use the speakon in and jack out.

It's easier to think of them as daisychained - the 2nd cab is only connected to the amp through the first cab.

so the impedance of the 2nd cab is added to the 1st.

Edited by bigjohn

oh dear,,,,andymartin and bigjohn have got different answers to the question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone else want to add in what they think it is,,,,,,

I reckon Andymartin is right, you need a speific cable to run cabs in series,,,,,,you run them in parallel by either daisychaining or taking 2 line outs from back of your amp if it has them

[quote name='bassjamm' post='679764' date='Dec 10 2009, 03:01 AM']I'm confused here...what's the difference between series and parallel when it comes to cabs?

Forgive me if I'm asking some what elementary questions![/quote]
If you have an SVT 2 and want classic sound it's probarbly easier with classic cabs.
The B series have a different sound to classic cabs of what i know,not as old school.
Perhaps someone who has more experience from both of them could tell you the difference in sound.
I have only tried classic cabs,but i have read about people trying to get that same thump using B cabs not succeeding.

[quote name='Anders' post='681192' date='Dec 11 2009, 12:00 PM']If you have an SVT 2 and want classic sound it's probarbly easier with classic cabs.
The B series have a different sound to classic cabs of what i know,not as old school.
Perhaps someone who has more experience from both of them could tell you the difference in sound.
I have only tried classic cabs,but i have read about people trying to get that same thump using B cabs not succeeding.[/quote]

not sure about the 'same thump'

but the b series definetly has amazing bottom end as well as plenty of top too

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='681569' date='Dec 11 2009, 09:11 PM']not sure about the 'same thump'

but the b series definetly has amazing bottom end as well as plenty of top too[/quote]
It wasn't my intention to tell you what your gear sound like/or the gear you have experience from.I was just trying to explain the difference in sound between b series and classic.
As i've said i have only read about what others think about the difference between the two.I only know what the classic series sound like.
So ,apparently you know better than me as you have tried the b series.Sorry.

I have two B series 4x10 Hlf´s (one is a BSE)
Both are 4ohm.
I love them, they are fantastic cabs.
The BSE sounds a little clearer in the top end department.
Both handle 5 string very well and loads of thump out of them in all ranges.
I got the hlf´s because I wanted to bring down the imp. to 2ohms to get the most out of my B500DR head.
I have to say that they are great value for money!
Havent had a single problem with either. I also have a classic hlf and there honestly isn´t any difference between the BSE and it. Though my classic HLF is asian made and the BSE is US made so build quality may be a factor there, though not positive about that, as I´ve never played a US made Classic HLF.
Either way, I can´t fault them. just wish there was a B 1x18 40hm cab
:)