Why become a member? ×

New "Classic" Stingrays!

Jambo

if only they were going to do a black or a burst one...if only... :)

i just think the colours are a little miami vice pastel colours for my liking and not too sure about the white pups, but they still look amazing. Nice to see the birdeye necks again, they should have never stopped making them without them.

[quote name='longtimefred' post='673977' date='Dec 4 2009, 10:19 AM']if only they were going to do a black or a burst one...if only... :)

i just think the colours are a little miami vice pastel colours for my liking and not too sure about the white pups, but they still look amazing. Nice to see the birdeye necks again, they should have never stopped making them without them.[/quote]

See what I posted above. It looks like at some point they will.

[quote name='Duarte' post='673825' date='Dec 4 2009, 12:49 AM']I don't think matching headstocks are an idea that only fender have used in the past 50 years...

for example, my Bongo has a matching headstock...

An so did a Dean I had a few years ago...[/quote]
i didn't mean that. considering they're [i]classic[/i] stingrays, EBMM never offered matching headstock, it was really only fender that did, back in the day. They never offered any of those colours either (well, trans white, but it wasn't pre-eb i don't think). They're nice basses, but sterling seems to talk out of his arse a lot "we don't make vintage models, we're trying to push the market forward blah blah". Don't get me wrong, he's a clever guy with a good head for business... he just tends to talk sh*t a lot.

Edited by budget bassist

True, he did say it would never happen. But hey, it did, and I'm a happy man.

He also said ebony on stealth models wouldn't happen, but again, it did. I'm happy about this too.

Because let's face it...stealth with a rosewood board looks like crap.

[quote name='Duarte' post='674627' date='Dec 5 2009, 12:25 AM']True, he did say it would never happen. But hey, it did, and I'm a happy man.

He also said ebony on stealth models wouldn't happen, but again, it did. I'm happy about this too.

Because let's face it...stealth with a rosewood board looks like crap.[/quote]
Aye, they're nice basses, and he's a good businessman, he just doesn't have all of his cards on the table.
And yeah, i'm not into the stealth models, but ebony does suit them more than rosewood.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='Linus27' post='674609' date='Dec 4 2009, 11:48 PM']See what I posted above. It looks like at some point they will.[/quote]

ah righty, i thought they were just going to rotate between the colours they had released now. Didnt realize.

If thats the case, winner!! anyone know of any price ranges yet? I would search myself but im knackered from a very very late show last night and not getting back home til 5am and only 4 hours sleep. rock n roll!!

I've had a few 'real ones', lots of EBs and an anniversary over the years.

The best old ones had chunky bodies and clubby necks - wouldn't sell on 'feel' these days.

Anything in the last 20 years has had fast/kiln dried brittle wood for bodies and necks.
Not necessaroily straight or open grain - all would have been rejected previously.

High gloss neck finishes were the thing back when, and IMHO beat the matte/stain-o-matic finsih paws down.

If the new ones have 'real' pots and 'real' wiring and 'real' wood and gloss necks - mebbe worth the dosh v. a 'real one'.

Certainly, the anniversary models were not up to much - I'm not big on cute body capping - a layer of adhesive adn a mismatch of wood grain/resonances to dampen the woody tonality...

I don't reckon an accountant woudl let them get even close to the old values - and most people picking up a '76/7 would wonder WTF was up at the (pre-slim, pre-flat) time.

But that's me....