Why become a member? ×

Behringer BDI21 - Any good as a basic DI? Anyone tried one?

Moos3h

mine is great. i originally got it to add some dirt to my lh1000 - gigged it numerous times, and it never let me down.

it does a fairly decent svt noise as long as you don't go mental with the gain. the track 'vengeance is' on our myspace was recorded direct with it (another story), 'in this life' and 'midas' were a mix of BDI - Hartke DI - SM 58 on the SWR 10". lives in my case now as a wee backups in-case i can't use my own rig/something breaks.

sat it on top of my rack though - no way i'd use it as a stompbox. every soundman i've used it with said it sounds great.

it's £30.

Edited by eightball

I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the Behrignger stuff, but these are very good for money sound wise. Straight forward to use, and does the job.

They're not as solid as a Sansamp or the EBS microbass, but at a fifth of the price you can't expect them to be. If you want a cheap DI that will give a bit of grit you can't go wrong.

I have one for my bedroom studio, and it sounds great for what it is. It's a direct rip-off of the Sansamp equivelant - the manuals are funny to compare. Our bassist has used one for DI-ing into the desk at live gigs for nearly a year now and it never lets him down.

Two things though:
[list=1]
[*]The stomp button is pretty shoddy plastic, and you have to really stomp to get it to work sometimes.
[*]The thing will go through batteries like popcorn, so buy in bulk from Tesco or get a power supply.
[/list]

However, I think it's the perfect backup, and for the price you can't beat it!

I'd recommend it. I've used it as a DI for live work & recording and it has been fine. Probably the best £35 odd quid I've spent on bass tackle. It would be nice to have some mid control, but the blend control lets you dial in a bit of dry signal, which helps.

Build quality is not great; if you need to turn it on & off from a great height with your entire bodyweight, as some people evidently do, I'd go for a more sturdy alternative. For myself, I set it and forget it for the most part.

However, if you want a 'makes me sound better' flexibility box that won't get lots of physical abuse (maybe to sit out of the way on top of your amp), its def worth a punt for the price of a decent set of strings.

• 1 month later...

I got one a few years ago for one gig where i knew i wouldnt have a a rig. It only cost £22 and i intended to throw it away afterwards. Im glad i didnt.
It worked really well and i didnt have any issues with it. The gig was in front of 2500 people so it was a big PA and the sound guys wanted to use their own DI at first but when i tried this instead they were won over. It didnt quite sound like a rig but it was certainly a good tone.

I got it out for the last two gigs we had over Christmas and i was very impressed with it. I used it on, most of the time, running the bass in to it and then in to my MB SA450.
I have been looking in to getting a new tone, probably a SR4 but i feel this pedal will give em enough to play with and so ill stick with my current basses.

I am thinking of getting something better though. While i can get by with out it, if im going to start using something like this full time i might try and get either a "real" one or Tone Hammer. just for a bit of variation.
Still cheaper than getting a new bass.