Why become a member? ×

Packaging a cab?

Finbar

Looking to find a box big enough to pack a speaker cab in for shipping it with a courier. Dimensions of the cab are roughly 635x440x440, so it needs to fit that at least, and preferable a little bigger so i can add some stuff in at the sies as a shock absorber.

Anyone know where I can get one? Preferably double walled. I can only find packs of 10 online which end up costing like 30/40 quid when I only want one! If anyone has one spare, I'd gladly pay for it :rolleyes:

Or... other suggestions for packaging a cab? :)

Hey dude,
When I shipped my big ol' Trace Elliot Combo to basschat's very own [b]Deep Thought[/b], I couldn't find a suitable box either.
I ended up making one round the cab itself.
I bought some sheets of dense polystyrene, covered the cab in that first, with a fair bit of parcel tape to hold it together, then wrapped it up in sheets thick cardboard, sealed up with a bit more tape and it was good to go.
I also, wanted to make sure the combo was easy enough to move around, so I left small gaps for access to the sprung loaded handles.

Hope that's of some use matey :)

Eude

[quote name='Finbar' post='671404' date='Dec 1 2009, 06:44 PM']Looking to find a box big enough to pack a speaker cab in for shipping it with a courier. Dimensions of the cab are roughly 635x440x440, so it needs to fit that at least, and preferable a little bigger so i can add some stuff in at the sies as a shock absorber.

Anyone know where I can get one? Preferably double walled. I can only find packs of 10 online which end up costing like 30/40 quid when I only want one! If anyone has one spare, I'd gladly pay for it :rolleyes:

Or... other suggestions for packaging a cab? :)[/quote]

Go down to your local cycle shop. They will be slinging out an excellent selection of large (if flat) cardboard boxes on a daily basis, 2 or 3 of which can be cut and fixed back together to package the biggest of cabs.

[quote name='wesfinn' post='671438' date='Dec 1 2009, 07:08 PM']ask your local guitar shop. most chuck the boxes for big cabs[/quote]

Depending on your relationship with them they are normally happen to obilge, Or try one of the industrial estates. Making packaging to fit around is the other passable alternative. Good luck

Bike boxes.... cut up stuck together....

suggest as you don't have to buy a box you invest in bubble wrap, the one time I shipped an amp from my parents to edinbugh a combination of a knock or two and 'interesting' design specs by tech soundsystem meant the tweeter switch broke off inside. bubble wrap is you friend