Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Baldwin 704 Bass, 1969 NOW SOLD

colski

Hi there, I'm new to this forum, surfed on in from Musicradar.
Any interest in this 1969 model 704 Bass, Italian body and hardware and Burns neck. A few lacquer cracks but surface only, pickups are slightly weak, but overall it's a nice bass. Any offers?

BASS NOW SOLD, thanks for the interest

Edited by colski

[quote name='WarPig' post='671671' date='Dec 1 2009, 10:44 PM']Cor!

Where abouts are you?[/quote]

Based in Aberdeen! Had another play of it today, pickups are punchier than I thought, it's really only the bridge pickup thats a bit thin.

Willing to post in the UK, I have a gibson Guitar box I could ship it in. The case I got it in is a home made plywood thing, good for firewood maybe, but nothing else.
What little I know about the bass is that it lay in a farmer's shed in it's case for years and years. It's got flatwounds on it, which are black in colour (not from dirt). Neck has a slight radius curve, also a zero fret. Tuners original. The bass is surprisingly lightweight overall.
The neck pickup sounds good to me, punchy, warm, clear. Four control pots and a 3 way switch. No crackling. Some lacquer cracking on the front and back, but just lacquer deep.

[url="http://www.burnsguitarmuseum.com/bass2.html"]http://www.burnsguitarmuseum.com/bass2.html[/url]

Baldwin 704 Bass (1967-70)

We have not covered Baldwin very extensively, but here is one. This is one of the few new models they came up with. Jim Burns' involvement in the 700 series of semi-acoustics was somewhat minimal, and these models bear little of his design. They must be ranked as the most characterless of all Burns and Baldwin instruments. The bass has two double Pole Bass type of pickups, standard finish in golden sunburst or solid red, and rosewood fingerboards. That's it

Still makes me want it :)

[quote name='colski' post='671888' date='Dec 2 2009, 10:03 AM']LOL! yes, it was his advice I followed to pop over here, but I would never, EVER for one minute call you guys anoraks
:)[/quote]

I thought it was hilarious .... now, anyone for a thread on 'When did Fender stop using slot-head screws - and WHY?' :rolleyes:

PS - IIRC, Sibob was looking for a semi - maybe PM him?

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='colski' post='671647' date='Dec 1 2009, 10:18 PM']To be honest I don't have a clue, was hoping for some suggestions! Would take £180 including postage.[/quote]

Missed the boat again! Oh well, I hadn't checked in and would have bought this on the day of listing had I seen the update. I'm sure somebody will be very happy.