Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Mini 1x15s

NickSpector

I'm looking for a couple of the mini 1x15 cabs to go under my mini4x8s. I can't find any anywhere! Anybody care to help? I've heard they don't sell for much now, so I may be able to afford a pair.

Also, is it ok to put the 1x15s on their side? It's just their height is the same as the 4x8's width, so they'd fit perfectly when stood on their side.

Finally, how do I wire it up? Is it head>4x8>1x15, or head>1x15>4x8? It's just the 4x8s have a 1/4inch socket and a speakon connection, but the 1x15s seem to have two 1/4inch sockets.

Have you heard the Mini 15? The only reason I say this is that you might want to listen to one first as the reduced cabinet size gives a much more focussed sound with less bottom end than you might expect from a traditional 15"

I personally didn't like them and went for a MAG 15" as I felt it gave a more expansive low end. You may feel totally different!

[quote name='Moos3h' post='666551' date='Nov 26 2009, 06:33 PM']Have you heard the Mini 15? The only reason I say this is that you might want to listen to one first as the reduced cabinet size gives a much more focussed sound with less bottom end than you might expect from a traditional 15"

I personally didn't like them and went for a MAG 15" as I felt it gave a more expansive low end. You may feel totally different![/quote]

How will they sound compared to a 4x8? I want something a bit deeper, but still focussed. The standard MAG1x15s won't fit snuggle under the 4x8s, so it'll look a bit daft. I suppose I could get some cabs made, and have them made to the right width, but taller and deeper than the mini1x15s? Is that a possibility?

[quote name='NickSpector' post='666527' date='Nov 26 2009, 06:10 PM']The one that will match up with my 4x8s the best. I didn't know they did more than one? So should I put a speakon to jack from the head into the 4x8, then speakon to jack from the 4x8 into the 1x15?[/quote]

More specifically when they were made may have a bearing on whether they have a speakon or 2 jacks on the back. I don't think it matters which way you wire them up - I think that will depend more on how long your leads are. I'd probably put a 4x8 on top of a 1x15 but only for the position of the speakers and the sound that comes out. I don't think it matters a damn which way they're wired up.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='666566' date='Nov 26 2009, 06:46 PM']More specifically when they were made may have a bearing on whether they have a speakon or 2 jacks on the back. I don't think it matters which way you wire them up - I think that will depend more on how long your leads are. I'd probably put a 4x8 on top of a 1x15 but only for the position of the speakers and the sound that comes out. I don't think it matters a damn which way they're wired up.[/quote]

Yeh I was just wondering which way to wire them up. Which is the receiving hole, and which one is the sending hole (wheyyy, inyourendo!....before anyone says it!), of the 1/4 inch sockets on the 1x15s? And does the speakon on the 4x8s send power to the 1x15s?

There was a mk 1 and a mk 2 with different handles, i dont know if there were other changes
You cant put the mk 2 on its side because the handles protrude so it will wobble
Why would you want to its a square cabinet
They match perfectly with the4x8 which is the same size
You can put either one on the top its personal preference.
If as i think you are going to have more than 2 cabs ? ie 2 4x8 and 2 1x15 then the wiring will depend on your amp as you are unlikly to have 4 outputs, and 4 8 ohm cabs will give you 2 ohms total impedance depending on how you connect them, and most amps dont like that.

Edited by bumnote

[quote name='NickSpector' post='666579' date='Nov 26 2009, 06:55 PM']Yeh I was just wondering which way to wire them up. Which is the receiving hole, and which one is the sending hole (wheyyy, inyourendo!....before anyone says it!), of the 1/4 inch sockets on the 1x15s? And does the speakon on the 4x8s send power to the 1x15s?[/quote]

My ABM300 Head has two outs - one speakon and one 1/4"
I am assuming that you send one to each cab rather than linking the cabs and the cabs may have been designed that way

[quote name='bumnote' post='666583' date='Nov 26 2009, 06:57 PM']There was a mk 1 and a mk 2 with different handles, i dont know if there were other changes
You cant put the mk 2 on its side because the handles protrude so it will wobble
Why would you want to its a square cabinet
They match perfectly with the4x8 which is the same size
You can put either one on the top its personal preference.
If as i think you are going to have more than 2 cabs ? ie 2 4x8 and 2 1x15 then the wiring will depend on your amp as you are unlikly to have 4 outputs, and 4 8 ohm cabs will give you 2 ohms total impedance depending on how you connect them, and most amps dont like that.[/quote]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ashdown-ABM-115-COMPACT-Cabinet-300W-1-x-15-bass-Cab_W0QQitemZ370291950840QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item56371ec4f8"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ashdown-ABM-115-COMP...=item56371ec4f8[/url]

That isn't square?

[quote name='NickSpector' post='666601' date='Nov 26 2009, 07:11 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ashdown-ABM-115-COMPACT-Cabinet-300W-1-x-15-bass-Cab_W0QQitemZ370291950840QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item56371ec4f8"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ashdown-ABM-115-COMP...=item56371ec4f8[/url]

That isn't square?[/quote]

Thats not a mini 15 thats a compact. this is a mini 15 and is the one designed to go with the 4x8 unless you are talking about the new neo 4x8 which isnt cheap in fact ive never seen one s/hand

Edited by bumnote

[quote name='bumnote' post='666740' date='Nov 26 2009, 09:04 PM']Thats not a mini 15 thats a compact. this is a mini 15 and is the one designed to go with the 4x8 unless you are talking about the new neo 4x8 which isnt cheap in fact ive never seen one s/hand[/quote]

Ahh my bad, sorry mate didn't realise the difference. I still can't find any mini 1x15s anywhere. :-(

[quote name='uzzell' post='667475' date='Nov 27 2009, 03:34 PM']I had this rig untill quite recently. It comprises of a 4x8 and 1x15 and quite simply it was awesome. I only got rid of it because it wasnt getting used.

These cabs pop up every so often and I would definately keep an eye out for them if I was you.[/quote]

How do they connect up to each other, if I was connecting them to an amp? Can I connect one cab into another to reduce the impedance from 8ohms to 4? Is it called 'daisy chaining' or something?

[quote name='NickSpector' post='667793' date='Nov 27 2009, 09:50 PM']How do they connect up to each other, if I was connecting them to an amp? Can I connect one cab into another to reduce the impedance from 8ohms to 4? Is it called 'daisy chaining' or something?[/quote]

I refer back to my earlier posts, are u using 2 cabs or 4

If two you can either go 2 leads from the amp 1 to each cab, or 1 lead from the amp to cab a and one fron cab a to cab b.

If you want to use 4 it will depend on the amp you are using

[quote name='bumnote' post='667851' date='Nov 27 2009, 11:21 PM']I refer back to my earlier posts, are u using 2 cabs or 4

If two you can either go 2 leads from the amp 1 to each cab, or 1 lead from the amp to cab a and one fron cab a to cab b.

If you want to use 4 it will depend on the amp you are using[/quote]

Ok my amp is a Peavey 696F PA head. It has two output channels, each side runs down to 4ohms. Can I connect a 4x8 and a 1x15 ON EACH channel, so 4 cabs overall? My dad's a physicist and says he can help me if I have a circuit diagram for the cabs, anybody got one?

The problem I have is that I don't know how to connect one cab to another....do i connect a lead from the head into the 4x8's 1/4inch jack, and then another lead from the 4x8's speakon socket into the 1x15's 1/4 inch jack? Or will this create an impedance mis-match and blow my amp?

All the cabs are 8 ohms, right?

In which case you can do exactly what you're proposing. The speaker inputs are usually wired in parallel (I've never heard of extension cab sockets being wired in series unless modified), so daisy chaining the cabs will result in a four ohm load on each channel.

[url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:amps:impedance_and_wattage#combining_speaker_cabinets"]http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:amps:imped...peaker_cabinets[/url]

I love my mini cabs, BUT they come into their own when using them through a full PA. If you're using the PA for just vocals and relying on backline for instrument amplification in the room, you might be better going for front ported cabs.

Having said that, this is because I usually just use the 4x8 on its own for those smaller gigs. If you're planning on using the full stack all the time, you may side-step those issues.

Si

Absolutely. I think that's why I like them, they're portable enough to take two for larger venues, or if (very seldom) I don't DI to PA, but mostly I can use just 1 for on stage monitoring.
I couldn't afford some of the high end cabs that I see others use here, but I like them as they offer me flexibility, they're very portable, and sound good...(unlike me) Just what I need at my age.

[quote name='oldslapper' post='668141' date='Nov 28 2009, 11:38 AM']Absolutely. I think that's why I like them, they're portable enough to take two for larger venues, or if (very seldom) I don't DI to PA, but mostly I can use just 1 for on stage monitoring.
I couldn't afford some of the high end cabs that I see others use here, but I like them as they offer me flexibility, they're very portable, and sound good...(unlike me) Just what I need at my age.[/quote]

I'm beginning to miss them now :)