Why become a member? ×

One for the wedding bands

john_the_bass

Lady in Red has some beautiful fretless playing! Why wouldn't you want to play that?

For my part, nothing particularly weird - a few quite uptempo numbers which seem a strange choice.

The most common for me is "Let's Stay Together" (!) by Al Green.

Funny enough we are doing Heaven (the BA version) this friday.
Others we've been asked to do include Al Green, Stand by Me, Have i told you lately, Amazed (Lone star), Your in my heart, Happy Together, God only Knows (hated that one), Rule the world and Greatest Day (Take That) and too many to remember.

The strangest one was the first half of Michael Buble's Everything and straight in to the theme from Minder. The Bride had asked us to do it. Good fun actually.

Okay, so this relates to the ceremony rather than the reception but I thought I'd share it anyway. My wife used to work above the Register Office in our fair city. They were once regaled, after a ceremony had finished and the couple were leaving the office in a cloud of confetti, with the strains of George Michael's 'I Want Your Sex'! Quick, call the taste police!

[quote name='crez5150' post='659007' date='Nov 19 2009, 10:51 AM']I think one of the strangest one's this year was 'Everlong' by the Foo fighters.... not traditional first dance music..... good though..... it was great to see the bride and groom po-go-ing!![/quote]

The acoustic version is excellent

[quote name='farmer61' post='659206' date='Nov 19 2009, 01:45 PM']The acoustic version is excellent[/quote]

We listened to the live acoustic version but I thought it went on to long and was also a bit random..... we ended up doing a mix of the two..... acoustic to start with into full on havin it!!

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='659251' date='Nov 19 2009, 02:22 PM']No offence to you in covers bands, but I'd want the real band on cd playing my first song, instead of a potentially rubbish version.[/quote]

No offence taken here, its not us that insist on playing the first dances. Im 100% with you but its the wedding couple who make the decision.

Most off the wall one we've had was probably 'Iris' by the Goo Goo Dolls.
Worked out fine on the day though!

Worst one we did was many years ago when the orchestra had been availing themselves of the free champagne, and by the time we came to play the first dance the happy couple were late on to the dance floor because they had n't recognized our version of their tune!! oops.....

I agree with previous post that it can be often best if the first dance is left to the DJ to play the original, especially if it's something very hard to
reproduce live. 'God only knows' as mentioned above was probably a tough one to nail!

Most requested with us are :-

Have I told you lately that I love you
Lets stay together
My girl
Amazed
etc etc!

[quote name='crez5150' post='659279' date='Nov 19 2009, 02:46 PM']Depends on the song really..... oh and how good the band are of course..... Some songs are just so over produced that you couldn't do it..... We always offer the fist dance as part of our package, up to the bride and groom if they want to take up the offer.[/quote]

Bet you don't get many takers for the fist dance...................

[quote name='casapete' post='659284' date='Nov 19 2009, 02:49 PM']'God only knows' as mentioned above was probably a tough one to nail![/quote]

Its was a very embarrassing 4 mins for me. Plus we were using a dep drummer but the B&G loved it and i guess thats what counts.

Amazing isnt it ;-)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='659290' date='Nov 19 2009, 02:54 PM']Its was a very embarrassing 4 mins for me. Plus we were using a dep drummer but the B&G loved it and i guess thats what counts.

Amazing isnt it ;-)[/quote]

'God only knows' is probably one of my top 5 favourite tunes too.
Went to see Brian Wilson recently and it took his 11 piece band to do justice to it,so reckon you were doing well having a go!
Great non-root bassline and wonderful chord progression.

There's a great bit in a Brian Wilson On tour DVD where Neil Young is guesting and goes to Brian's trailer for a run through of the song.
He really struggles with it too!

Yeah, its a great song to play and i was almost note perfect but with only the drummer playing some sort of "rattle" all the way through and the guitarist trying his best to remember how it goes, at the expense of timing i think we did pretty well.
We did warn them it would be better off CD but they thought us playing it would be more personal.
They got what they wanted there lol.

Another regular first dance is You do something to me by Paul Weller. Done that a good dozen + times over the last couple of years with both bands.

A very unassuming couple asked us to learn Laid by James. We even double checked because of the lyrics but it's what they wanted.

[i]This bed is on fire
With passionate love
The neighbours complain about the noises above
But she only comes when she's on top

My therapist said not to see you no more
She said you're like a disease without any cure
She said I'm so obsessed that I'm becoming a bore, oh no
Ah, you think you're so pretty

Caught your hand inside the till
Slammed your fingers in the door
Fought with kitchen knives and skewers
Dressed me up in womens clothes
Messed around with gender roles
Dye my eyes and call me pretty

Moved out of the house, so you moved next door
I locked you out, you cut a hole in the wall
I found you sleeping next to me, I thought I was alone
You're driving me crazy, when are you coming home [/i]

It's stayed in the set as it goes over very well.