Why become a member? ×

Can some one explain the whole Musicman, Stingray, Sterling thing

dave_bass5

[quote name='Hutton' post='691777' date='Dec 22 2009, 08:07 PM']I can see we're going to have to agree to differ. I will promise however to have a go at your Tulamore Dew. Perhaps what we can agree about though is that the distillery that has opened down England way should be mortared as soon as possible. :lol:

Anyway, better not hijack the thread for much longer as phil says. Back to Stingrays![/quote]

HEHE ok :) To be honest, not sure you will like Tulamore Dew. Its quite sweet with a honey like taste. If you like single malt then I am not sure it will be for you. Worth a taste I say though.

Anyway, yes back on topic. Come on Dave, the guests are getting restless and there is only so much Stingray talk we can do before we get back onto Whiskeys :rolleyes:

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='691973' date='Dec 22 2009, 11:56 PM']and another.[/quote]

Cheers for thoese. Thats a tone i could definitely use. very helpful.
I dont suppose you have any clips plying with a pick do you?

Righto. New years resolution. I will be playing most of our set finger style by this time next year, on a MM.

Sod learning slap, its too hard :-)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='692088' date='Dec 23 2009, 09:24 AM']Too busy learning songs to learn how to slap. :)[/quote]

Yeah, its something that does impress me when done right and something i really wish i could do but i dont have a need for it so never get around to learning to do it.
I do need to play more finger style at gigs though. I always practice at home without a pick but i get lazy at gigs and use a pick 99% of the time.

Ive had basses in the past where they have just seemed right for finger style, even mine.

Im pretty close to deciding i will definitely get a MM of some sort. Im going to take a big hit when i sell or trade the DJ5 but i think as long as i have a bass that makes me happy then thats fine.
Of course i still need to play a few but tone wise im happy that i will get what im after.

Been thinking about the low G issue and i think that fine. I tend to back off a bit when playing the G anyway so it wont be a problem.

And im definitely going back to 4 string.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Hutton' post='692147' date='Dec 23 2009, 10:27 AM']Congrats Dave. There's a great relief when you reach the decision as to which way you're going to go. Thinking aloud on this forum is always a good idea. It pulls the resources and experiencies of your fellow BC'ers

All the best![/quote]

...and it can cost you a fortune the longer you stay on line lol.

Cheers. I think the decision to get a MM is partly due to the fact ive had P's and a Jazz and so its time for something new.
I had hopped not to get another active bass but i guess it opens up more tone possibilities.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='692100' date='Dec 23 2009, 09:38 AM']Yeah, its something that does impress me when done right and something i really wish i could do but i dont have a need for it so never get around to learning to do it.
I do need to play more finger style at gigs though. I always practice at home without a pick but i get lazy at gigs and use a pick 99% of the time.

Ive had basses in the past where they have just seemed right for finger style, even mine.

Im pretty close to deciding i will definitely get a MM of some sort. Im going to take a big hit when i sell or trade the DJ5 but i think as long as i have a bass that makes me happy then thats fine.
Of course i still need to play a few but tone wise im happy that i will get what im after.

Been thinking about the low G issue and i think that fine. I tend to back off a bit when playing the G anyway so it wont be a problem.

And im definitely going back to 4 string.[/quote]

Great stuff Dave. The Ray is a fab bass and I am sure you will love playing it. I know I adore mine.

As for playing with fingers. Another great move. I played with a pick for 23 years and over the last few years have moved over to fingers. I have done a few gigs now and its been great fun using fingers. I still struggle on faster songs with a lot of 8's though. My hand just seems to cramp up and go into spasm and I need to use the pick. Still, most songs I am using fingers which is really enjoyable.

Oh and I do feel my work is now done and its not even 2010 yet. Old Horse Murphy and yourself are now back to being a real bass player and using 4 strings. I knew you would both see the light eventually :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='Linus27' post='692173' date='Dec 23 2009, 10:53 AM']Great stuff Dave. The Ray is a fab bass and I am sure you will love playing it. I know I adore mine.

As for playing with fingers. Another great move. I played with a pick for 23 years and over the last few years have moved over to fingers. I have done a few gigs now and its been great fun using fingers. I still struggle on faster songs with a lot of 8's though. My hand just seems to cramp up and go into spasm and I need to use the pick. Still, most songs I am using fingers which is really enjoyable.

Oh and I do feel my work is now done and its not even 2010 yet. Old Horse Murphy and yourself are now back to being a real bass player and using 4 strings. I knew you would both see the light eventually :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Dont forget Clarky, he has also gone back to 4, as has dannybuoy, both have had my old P5 in the past month or so but decided 5 string isnt for them. Its catching.
Im actually ok with 5 string, its more a cost and more options thing. I would actually be quite happy to keep the DJ5 as a backup and to use occasionally.
I know ive always said i only use one bass but i think having the DJ5 and a Stingray would be a good combo. The DJ5 for the older, Motown stuff and also when i play with my other band and the SR for more modern songs. But times are hard so i think ill have to let the DJ5 go. I still have the Lakland pups and pickguard so i could sell it as a Jazz or PJ i guess.

I dont know why i ever doubted you though. But lets not get on to amps eh? ;-)

Funny enough i was just looking at your Youtube videos. I can hear a nice difference between your DJ and SR that i really like so thats helped as well.

Finger style is something i keep trying but having problems with. I think a lot of it is how i feel at the time. At home i never use a pick but i also dont play as much. Its more picking the notes out etc. At gigs our drummer tends to play quite fast and all over the place and my fingers tend to just refuse to move sometimes. If im feeling particularly good and inspired at the time i seem to be able to get in to it a bit more and this works ok but if its a social club i will take a bag full of picks and not even think about using my fingers :-(

OMG, i really didnt need to see this.
[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=4251"]IWOOT[/url]

Thank god Christmas is getting in the way of me being silly.

If anyone wants to buy me a late Christmas present im happy to accept the above lol.

Edited by dave_bass5

Being more realistic, I could probably afford either of these after Christmas without selling my DJ5 first as i can whack it on the card.

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Music-Man-Ray-34,-Black~ID~11409.asp"]Ray34[/url]

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Music-Man-SB14,-Black~ID~11415.asp"]SB14[/url]

Im going to venture up to Denmark st tomorrow to see if i can find anything to test out first of course.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Hutton' post='691777' date='Dec 22 2009, 08:07 PM']Perhaps what we can agree about though is that the distillery that has opened down England way should be mortared as soon as possible....[/quote]

The distillery has been down the road from me for ten years (tastings only, no selling), so you can't say they're rushing it! Interestingly I read somewhere (probably part of their PR blurb) that whisky was quite commonly distilled in England 200 years ago. Perhaps it dried up (hah) when we started getting a taste of Gin from the Netherlands?

don't be afraid to haggle over the price quoted,i walked into PMT Leeds 4 weeks ago to check out some 'Rays hanging on the wall.
i tried a white/maple 3eq ray,a honey burst/rosewood 2 eq & a Sandberg jazz bass thingy.
the Sandberg to me felt very unispiring,i only played it for 5 minutes & handed it back,as for the 'Rays i spent nearly 2 hours trying them back to back & went for the 2eq one in the end.
said 2 eq 'Ray had a wall price of £1250.00 but after a good haggle & me pointing out the tiniest mark you've ever seen on a new bass :) i ended up taking it home for £1000.00 job done.
btw don't let anyone put you off a 2 eq model as mine sounded far better than the 3eq model,plenty of punch & treble with far less clack than the 3eq one had but i'm very fussy about my sound & truth be told if they'd only had the white one i'd have taken that home (after a good haggle of course).

[quote name='artisan' post='692536' date='Dec 23 2009, 07:27 PM']don't be afraid to haggle over the price quoted,i walked into PMT Leeds 4 weeks ago to check out some 'Rays hanging on the wall.
i tried a white/maple 3eq ray,a honey burst/rosewood 2 eq & a Sandberg jazz bass thingy.
the Sandberg to me felt very unispiring,i only played it for 5 minutes & handed it back,as for the 'Rays i spent nearly 2 hours trying them back to back & went for the 2eq one in the end.
said 2 eq 'Ray had a wall price of £1250.00 but after a good haggle & me pointing out the tiniest mark you've ever seen on a new bass :) i ended up taking it home for £1000.00 job done.
btw don't let anyone put you off a 2 eq model as mine sounded far better than the 3eq model,plenty of punch & treble with far less clack than the 3eq one had but i'm very fussy about my sound & truth be told if they'd only had the white one i'd have taken that home (after a good haggle of course).[/quote]

To be honest, I would swap my 3EQ Ray for a 2EQ if one came up in the right colour. Nothing wrong with my 3EQ but if I can get away with one less button/dial/nob/switch then I would :rolleyes:

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='692212' date='Dec 23 2009, 11:41 AM']Being more realistic, I could probably afford either of these after Christmas without selling my DJ5 first as i can whack it on the card.

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Music-Man-Ray-34,-Black~ID~11409.asp"]Ray34[/url]

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Music-Man-SB14,-Black~ID~11415.asp"]SB14[/url]

Im going to venture up to Denmark st tomorrow to see if i can find anything to test out first of course.[/quote]

Dave, to be honest, I would hold out for a Musicman Stingray even if its secondhand. Get the real deal, you will only regret it later. You will buy a Ray 34 or SB14, love it and then want the SR4. As its going to be your main bass, then get the full on Stingray. You will only spend more money again moving up to one later on.

[quote name='Linus27' post='692628' date='Dec 23 2009, 10:10 PM']Dave, to be honest, I would hold out for a Musicman Stingray even if its secondhand. Get the real deal, you will only regret it later. You will buy a Ray 34 or SB14, love it and then want the SR4. As its going to be your main bass, then get the full on Stingray. You will only spend more money again moving up to one later on.[/quote]
why do you say that?
I understand what you are saying but by all acounts the sterling range are pretty close to the USA versions. a bit like a
laklands skylines vs the real deal I guess although the price difference is a lot greater than the musicman range.
Really just asking.
if I do buy second I'll have to find the money and this could take me ages.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='692644' date='Dec 23 2009, 10:30 PM']why do you say that?
I understand what you are saying but by all acounts the sterling range are pretty close to the USA versions. a bit like a
laklands skylines vs the real deal I guess although the price difference is a lot greater than the musicman range.
Really just asking.
if I do buy second I'll have to find the money and this could take me ages.[/quote]

The SR4 is such a perfect wonderful bass that in reality it is not that expensive. The Sterling bass is around £550 and a far cheaper version of the SR4. Second hand my SR4 which is totally mint and perfect in every way only cost £670. For £100 - £150 more would you not jump at the chance of having an American Fender over a good Mexican one?? I don't mean that in a snobbery kind of way, but as its probably going to be your main bass, for very little more, you can get the Ferrari rather than the Fiat :) If the difference financially was so great like the Lakland Skylines and USA ones then that would make sense but as its not then I would not compromise on your main bass, especially when we are talking a matter of £100 - £150. Even new you can get a new SR4 for £1079.00 at Andertons. There is no way up better than a SR4 but there is always better with one of the Sterling basses and that happens to be an SR4. If you love the Sterling then you will love the SR4 and I mean really love it. Try some out and see what you think.

Just my opinion on how I think you will look at it knowing what you are like with basses :rolleyes:

I say go for the real thing. As much as they are close, a real
MM will serve you well.

I would personally go 3 eq, UNLESS you want one of the new Classic Series Rays. Stunning colours coming out, 2 EQ, flat slab body, mutes, classic logos etc.

They look AMAZING!

I also like the White Ray you've picked out. :)

I typed that last reply on my itouch and have had a few drinks, now im on a proper keyboard let me clarify what i wrote.

Im not one for having to have the top of the range. I was very happy with my HW-0ne P and never even thought about getting a MIA. If i like a bass ill stick with it so i doubt i would want to change it if im already happy. Maybe one day in the future but it would be for a different model i expect.
I believe (could be wrong) that the Sterling by MM Ray34 has a slightly narrower or less chunky neck than the real deal. This is a bonus for me.
I believe (again) the basses come from the same Cort factory as the Lakalnds so i expect the work to be up to scratch.
Price wise, if i can get it on my CC it means i can keep the DJ5 for now or wait until i get can get a good price. If i need to pay in cash i will probably have to sell the DJ5 first and with it being a buyer market i would expect to make a bigger loss. Or heaven forbid save up but then i could loose the deal.

Hope that makes sense. Ill probably edit it all in the morning when i sober up lol.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='692664' date='Dec 23 2009, 11:02 PM']I typed that last reply on my itouch and have had a few drinks, now im on a proper keyboard let me clarify what i wrote.

Im not one for having to have the top of the range. I was very happy with my HW-0ne P and never even thought about getting a MIA. If i like a bass ill stick with it so i doubt i would want to change it if im already happy. Maybe one day in the future but it would be for a different model i expect.
I believe (could be wrong) that the Sterling by MM Ray34 has a slightly narrower or less chunky neck than the real deal. This is a bonus for me.
I believe (again) the basses come from the same Cort factory as the Lakalnds so i expect the work to be up to scratch.
Price wise, if i can get it on my CC it means i can keep the DJ5 for now or wait until i get can get a good price. If i need to pay in cash i will probably have to sell the DJ5 first and with it being a buyer market i would expect to make a bigger loss. Or heaven forbid save up but then i could loose the deal.

Hope that makes sense. Ill probably edit it all in the morning when i sober up lol.[/quote]

It makes sense but its all wrong :rolleyes: :lol:

I thought the HW-One was made in the US and came with badass bridge and good US pickups. Not sure if the MM has a chunky neck but mine does not feel chunky, just flater than say a Jazz. So we need to find a way for you to keep the DJ5 and get the cash for a proper Ray :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='692652' date='Dec 23 2009, 10:51 PM']The SR4 is such a perfect wonderful bass that in reality it is not that expensive. The Sterling bass is around £550 and a far cheaper version of the SR4. Second hand my SR4 which is totally mint and perfect in every way only cost £670. For £100 - £150 more would you not jump at the chance of having an American Fender over a good Mexican one?? I don't mean that in a snobbery kind of way, but as its probably going to be your main bass, for very little more, you can get the Ferrari rather than the Fiat :) If the difference financially was so great like the Lakland Skylines and USA ones then that would make sense but as its not then I would not compromise on your main bass, especially when we are talking a matter of £100 - £150. Even new you can get a new SR4 for £1079.00 at Andertons. There is no way up better than a SR4 but there is always better with one of the Sterling basses and that happens to be an SR4. If you love the Sterling then you will love the SR4 and I mean really love it. Try some out and see what you think.

Just my opinion on how I think you will look at it knowing what you are like with basses :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yeah, that all makes sense but im still wondering what the downside would be in getting a Sterling by MM. Plus it would be new. Anything over the cost fo the Sterling would have to offer something extra to make it worth while IMO.
As i dont know what to expect i can understand yours (and everyone else's) love for the real deal so ill take your guidance and certainly keep an eye out for a good deal.
Your analogy with the Fenders is a valid one but actually i turned down a USA Jazz for a HW1 Jazz with only a £175 difference. I liked the finish, i liked the neck and i liked the tone. Two USA's and 1 MIM just didnt do it for me.

Fro me the bottom line is if i love the Sterling I dont need anything esle.

Of course, i may hate them but i will try and play a sample of all the MMs i can, more to get a feel for the neck.

Gareth. Thanks for the heads up. I think a real SR4 brand new is out of the question right now, unless i shift the DJ5 first and quickly. If this was later on in the year i would think about it as we already have 26 gigs booked for next year so i could afford it but for the next couple of months im pretty skint.
I do want a 3 EQ bass, quite fancy a mid control.

[quote name='Linus27' post='692670' date='Dec 23 2009, 11:11 PM']It makes sense but its all wrong :rolleyes: :lol:

I thought the HW-One was made in the US and came with badass bridge and good US pickups. Not sure if the MM has a chunky neck but mine does not feel chunky, just flater than say a Jazz. So we need to find a way for you to keep the DJ5 and get the cash for a proper Ray :)[/quote]

Yeah, the HW1 is made in the USA, its just not classed as a MIA. My point was i went for a lesser bass because i liked it better. I could have afforded the real MIA but i was so happy with the HW1 i didn't see the point spending more money.

Im quite happy to sell the DJ5 (after all, this thread is about me getting a replacement for it) its just these things can take a while to sell and then i would have no bass other than the HW1 Jazz until a decent SR4 came up. Again,that could take a while.
If i had other basses i liked using it wouldn't be a problem but i really dont want to use the Jazz much.

I wasn't saying the SR4 is chunky, just that the Sterling by MM is slightly less thick. Just going by some chat over on TB though.

Morning all.
Right then, just re read my posts from last night and im just going to backtrack on most of it lol.

I went up to the Bass Cellar and they had a SR4 in stock. I didnt get to play it as there was already someone slapping for England in the shop so wouldn't have heard anything and i was really just passing through. Ill go back at some point in the next couple of weeks and have another look.
What i did notice was that the neck did seem a bit wider than i had imagined. Ive just checked the specs no the MM website and they are pretty close to a P so its probably not a big deal.
According to the specs on the Sterling by MM site the Ray34 is a few mm wider at the nut. Very strange. I cant figure out the string spacing but maybe ill email them or Strings' n' things as suggested by Gareth.
Anyway, i think im going to dig my HW1 out and try and start using that for a while. This will allow me to put the DJ5 up for sale as soon as i can. Im going to take a big hit but what the heck.
Once its sold i can then concentrate on looking for a new bass, be it Sterling by MM or the real deal. with all the prices going up in Jan maybe ill get lucky with a good second hand SR4.

Thats all assuming i can offload the DJ5 fo course.

Wow, i cant believe im actually going back to a Jazz for a while.

Cheers all and have a great Christmas. If anyone gets a SR4 for Christmas and doesnt want it you know what to do lol.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='692893' date='Dec 24 2009, 12:18 PM']Morning all.
Right then, just re read my posts from last night and im just going to backtrack on most of it lol.

I went up to the Bass Cellar and they had a SR4 in stock. I didnt get to play it as there was already someone slapping for England in the shop so wouldn't have heard anything and i was really just passing through. Ill go back at some point in the next couple of weeks and have another look.
What i did notice was that the neck did seem a bit wider than i had imagined. Ive just checked the specs no the MM website and they are pretty close to a P so its probably not a big deal.
According to the specs on the Sterling by MM site the Ray34 is a few mm wider at the nut. Very strange. I cant figure out the string spacing but maybe ill email them or Strings' n' things as suggested by Gareth.
Anyway, i think im going to dig my HW1 out and try and start using that for a while. This will allow me to put the DJ5 up for sale as soon as i can. Im going to take a big hit but what the heck.
Once its sold i can then concentrate on looking for a new bass, be it Sterling by MM or the real deal. with all the prices going up in Jan maybe ill get lucky with a good second hand SR4.

Thats all assuming i can offload the DJ5 fo course.

Wow, i cant believe im actually going back to a Jazz for a while.

Cheers all and have a great Christmas. If anyone gets a SR4 for Christmas and doesnt want it you know what to do lol.[/quote]

[b][size=4]LOOK INTO MY EYES, DON'T LOOK AWAY, LOOK INTO MY EYES ... YOU ARE NOW FAST ASLEEP[/size][/b]

[color="#FF0000"][size=7]BUY AN SR4[/size][/color]

[b][size=4]WHEN I CLICK MY FINGERS, YOU WILL WAKE UP, FULLY REFRESHED, LONGING TO ONLY BUY AN SR4, ONLY DRINK IRISH WHISKEY AND AN UNHEALTHY FACINATION TO GIRLS ALOUD.[/size]

[size=6]CLICK[/size][/b]