Why become a member? ×

Fortress Masterman 5 string Reduced NO LONGER AVAILABLE

oldslapper

Fortress Masterman 5 string 1999.
This was recently sold, but a twist in the neck was discovered (no I didn't know about it before hand) and so I took it back without question.
I took it to a local luthier today who confirmed the twist was evident (dip at B string, raised at G).
I am not a tech, and have played this as it is since I've had it, so it was sold to me like it, I do not do my own set ups or adjustments, it just looked nice to me. (I know I'm going to get comments about this, but sorry I'm a lazy git who likes pretty guitars).
I have contacted Guitar Works in Reading who have quoted me £300 for a replacment neck by Warwick, in exchange for the current one.
The local guy has given me an [i]estimate[/i] of £150 to sort it out.
I could carry on living with it as the condition of the guitar is immaculate and I have played it as is up till now, but I can't look at it now I know the neck isn't right.
So, story over, are there any Warwick lovers out there who want this fairly rare but flawed beast. Or someone who has the time, or money to spend on getting the neck perfect?
I certainly don't have the money, or the know-how.
Comes with a Warwick gig bag.
I would prefer collection, so you can look at it. But will post if wanted.
£350.

Edited by oldslapper

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='656248' date='Nov 16 2009, 07:02 PM']Any idea what you might be after in terms of an outright sale? (Sorry. You can't have my MM Stingray 5 Fretless!)
Thanks in advance.

Alex.[/quote]
Don't know really Alex, but if I'd put it on Fleabay I'd ask bout £550-600, but would rather get a bass and cash though.....(it's ok not a MM fan so yer stingray's safe, have toured with one in past, sounded great, just didn't get on with the necks...probably coz I'm pants) lol

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Gamble' post='680550' date='Dec 10 2009, 07:19 PM']I'd really like this, but I just don't have the reddies right now. GODDAMNIT!!!!![/quote]
You are aware of the neck though??
Anything to trade maybe? I might take something and sell another bass instead.
Cheers.

I'm guessing that if you've been playing it and never noticed the neck then it's probably not a huge problem, but unfortunately I don't have any basses of much value that I'm looking to shift - unless you'd be interested in an Ashbory or a Tanglewood fretless 4 string?

Ok thanks for the replies and pm.s.
As requested here are some pictures of the neck.
I am not an expert, all I know is having been told there was a twist by a buyer, and having it shown to me, there is definately a twist. The B string has a dip, the G string is raised, round about the 4th-7th string is where it is the most prominent. But judge for yourselves and please feel free to come and look too, I make a nice coffee/tea, you can meet Ziggy the wonder dog and I promise I won't wear the slippers in the photo's.
John

No point in hiding it. I've bought a couple of basses that were sold as "perfect" and they've turned out to be pups. I'm pretty naive about these things but don't want others to be decieved. The thickness of the B string does accentuate it mind.
...just realised, our night shift is your day shift....cool!

[quote name='Gamble' post='683126' date='Dec 13 2009, 04:45 PM']I'm gonna try to get a couple of basses listed for sale soon so might have some cash with any luck. Does the twist actually affect the playing/action/fret-buzz or anything?[/quote]
I'm probably not the person to give you that info. Might be a question to put to the forum as there are loads of people on here who have an amazing amount of know-how.
I wouldn't buy this unless you know what you want to do with it (i.e. get a new neck, defret and build fingerboard up, get a tech to have a go at rebuilding the neck, or play as is and live with it.) The thing NOT to do is buy it on the basis that the rest of the bass is immaculate and pretty, unless you are prepared for the above.
I played a Jap Fender Jazz for years not knowing the neck had a problem, probably shows how rubbish I am.
I am still toying with the defret option as someone has told me that the neck can then be "planed" on the raised side, or the fingerboard could be removed, neck built up and new board put on. I'm afraid I glazed over when they started talking in mm's.
So anyone answer Gamble's question?

Just give the bass a play, does it rattle or buzz badly in certain places on the fretboard? Or is the action very high or vastly different on different strings?
And how south-westerly are you? Might be able to come see for myself if I can get some cash together.
Cheers!

Edited by Gamble

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='683322' date='Dec 13 2009, 07:58 PM']2 things:
1 I can't see why this can't be set up to play just fine and you wouldn't notice it.

2 Ever heard of Torzal Guitars?

Get the same effect at a FRACTION of the cost!! This is ERGONOMIC Man!

What's not to like!

Cheers
Jules[/quote]
Brilliant Jules! Between Dingwall and these beauties who needs a truss rod!!
The Jack is my saving grace at the mo', thanks!
John