Why become a member? ×

No Pain, No Gain?

Bilbo

Am happy with my general progress in terms of time and intonation but am thinking that the action on my bass is not helping me with the finer points of phrasing etc (it is as it was when it was delivered). I can't afford a full set up (£400+) so am just going to get the bridge lowered and the nut adjusted acccordingly. I have it in mind to get the other bits and bobs done in time (when all the extra gigs I get by being a double bass player come rolling in .... :) ) but, in the meantime, a simple lowering of the action will loosen things up for me.

I have a gig under my own name next month and I have chosen to put in a trio of bass, drums and tenor sax. No harmony instrument. Scary and there is a high risk that I will fall on my arse but I just feel like I have played it too safe for too long and I wanted to know what it felt like to stick my neck out. Have booked two great sidemen who are willing to try this so am happy with that end of things and I will be debuting a few of my own pieces but, either way, I need this for my soul!

A lower action may help...:)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1161923' date='Mar 14 2011, 03:49 PM']I have a gig under my own name next month and I have chosen to put in a trio of bass, drums and tenor sax. No harmony instrument. Scary and there is a high risk that I will fall on my arse but I just feel like I have played it too safe for too long and I wanted to know what it felt like to stick my neck out. Have booked two great sidemen who are willing to try this so am happy with that end of things and I will be debuting a few of my own pieces but, either way, I need this for my soul!

A lower action may help...:)[/quote]

Fair play Bilbo - that's quite an undertaking there. I'm seriously impressed, and inspired. Have you any recordings of this group yet, rehearsals, etc? I'd love to hear how this works out. Maybe record the gig?

Whilst the side of my index finger is currently sufficiently hardened, i had the unexpected problem that after not picking up the BG for a month playing it for an hour at a jam night made the tip of my right index finger quite sore! Although my digging in lots probably didn't help matters. Must remember to not neglect the old horizantal plank completely in future.

I will try and record the gig but reserve the right to destroy the tapes if I sound like a complete tit.... :)

The big issue is the choice of material. The big 'killer' is the fact that there will be no rehearsal!! The sax player lives about 80 miles away. I will get a couple of sessions in with the drummer but that's it. What am I thinking? :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1163659' date='Mar 15 2011, 08:44 PM']I will try and record the gig but reserve the right to destroy the tapes if I sound like a complete tit.... :)

The big issue is the choice of material. The big 'killer' is the fact that there will be no rehearsal!! The sax player lives about 80 miles away. I will get a couple of sessions in with the drummer but that's it. What am I thinking? :)[/quote]

These are usually the best gigs :lol: Nothing like adrenalin to get the best out of performers!

Did a two and a half hour rehearsal yesterdaay with a sax/trumpet Jazz Quintet playing standards and bebop and came away without any aches or pains other than a slight tingling in the tip of the middle finger of my right hand. Blister avoided and its ok this morning. Am getting a Fisman Pro Platinum any day now so that will help to manage my sound and help me pace myself better.

Ironically, because the next gig is on a boat and space is limited, I have been asked to bring the electric not the double bass.

Still loving it.

Having played DB gigs two nights running at the weekend (with longish soundchecks before each), the pad on my right hand forefinger (which I predominantly pluck with) is extremely sore, although there's no blister. Damn good job I didn't do the three gigs the prior two days, I reckon. I presume there's zip all you can do about this?

[quote name='Clarky' post='1170681' date='Mar 21 2011, 03:01 PM']I presume there's zip all you can do about this?[/quote]

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1170901' date='Mar 21 2011, 05:57 PM']I figure we just have to build up the callouses? Its definately getting eaiser as time passes.[/quote]

I've put superglue on my fingers (very carfully as to not stick them together) before some marathon sessions. Callouses are the preferred thing but the glue can help out in a pinch.

[quote name='TPJ' post='1170925' date='Mar 21 2011, 05:15 PM']I've put superglue on my fingers (very carfully as to not stick them together) before some marathon sessions. Callouses are the preferred thing but the glue can help out in a pinch.[/quote]
Good tip thanks, if you will excuse the pun!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1170630' date='Mar 21 2011, 01:29 PM']Ironically, because the next gig is on a boat and space is limited, I have been asked to bring the electric not the double bass.[/quote]

This sometimes happens to me as well.

If the music suits the DB better, I try to persuade whoever is organising the gig that myself and the double bass don't take up more room than the bass guitar. This is especially true if the gig is unamplified, in which case I take just a little bit more room than someone sitting on a chair.

They tend not to believe me until they see this!

Jennifer

[quote name='endorka' post='1171624' date='Mar 22 2011, 01:00 AM']This sometimes happens to me as well.

If the music suits the DB better, I try to persuade whoever is organising the gig that myself and the double bass don't take up more room than the bass guitar. This is especially true if the gig is unamplified, in which case I take just a little bit more room than someone sitting on a chair.

They tend not to believe me until they see this!

Jennifer[/quote]

I seem to suffer the opposite experience: a few times I've been booked to do a house patyy, or somewhere where space is very limited and/or the DB could suffer potential damage. I've chosen the go with an EUB only to be told by the fixer that the client specifically has asked for a double bass. So some time ago I sold a very nice Steinberger.

I tried one of those Steinberger NS EUBs last night. Not a total dog but, boy, am I pleased that I stayed focussed on the real thing? I know that, if I had gone down the EUB route, I would immediately have continued to covet a real double bass. As it is, I will not be looking to buy an EUB anytime soon.

Off to get me bridge lowered on Saturday. What with that and a new Fishman Pro pre amp, I should sound like Dave Holland my Monday.

At least, that's the plan :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1180941' date='Mar 29 2011, 03:53 PM']I tried one of those Steinberger NS EUBs last night. Not a total dog but, boy, am I pleased that I stayed focussed on the real thing? I know that, if I had gone down the EUB route, I would immediately have continued to covet a real double bass. As it is, I will not be looking to buy an EUB anytime soon.[/quote]

One of the major problems I have on the NS WAV is the lack of a neck heel.

NS Design apparently make something you can stick on that works like one, but they were never available when I tried to buy one.

It's a shame really. Most people think the problem with EUBs is the sound. I thought the sound of the WAV was excellent, but the neck heel and stability are the main problems to my mind.

Jennifer

Got the soundpost adjusted and the bridge on my Gedo bass tweaked yesterday, by Steve Laws at Oakdene Music in Essex. It has made a massive difference to the sustain and playability of the instrument. I was playing it last night and it is so much easier to execute ideas, runs, scale, arpeggios etc; the whole neck has opened up. I saw jasper Holby the night before and, after the adjustments, what he was doing seems so much more attainable now than it did on Friday :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1186512' date='Apr 3 2011, 09:20 AM']. I saw jasper Holby the night before[/quote]

Sweet! How was the gig? Missed Phronesis, but hoping to catch Kairos 4tet in Oxford in June.

I think the pain of playing double bass (and sometimes frustration coming from electric bass, where everything is relatively so much easier) is all worth it when you have one of those days where something you've been working on clicks into place, especially because you know it's down to having practised it for months! Happened to me yesterday with some aspects of my bow arm, my tone suddenly became warm and smooth and I could play lovely arco phrases.

Phoronesis were a real buzz. These guys are so on top of their game, it is a reall pleasure to hear them and watching only enhances the experience. They must rehearse 25 hours a day all of the time!! The drummer is particularly creative.

[quote name='Hector' post='1186535' date='Apr 3 2011, 09:56 AM']... Happened to me yesterday with some aspects of my bow arm, my tone suddenly became warm and smooth and I could play lovely arco phrases.[/quote]

Quite! It is sometimes hard to believe it is yourself playing, but you know it is. When this happens I try not to start thinking about it too much because the magic will go! :-)

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...

Its starting to come together! I recorded a practice session a couple of days ago and am pleased to hear some credible ideas forming and the gap between my head and my hands is starting to narrow. A way to go yet but all of this is pain free so the ghosts are pretty much laid to rest!!

[quote name='endorka' post='1186651' date='Apr 3 2011, 12:38 PM']Quite! It is sometimes hard to believe it is yourself playing, but you know it is. When this happens I try not to start thinking about it too much because the magic will go! :-)

Jennifer[/quote]

Definitely balanced by days where you're playing so pants for no discernible reason that you almost want to give up!