Why become a member? ×

Polish for a bass

Kenny_K75

It depends what the finish of the bass that you're trying to polish is.

All the above recommendations assume that you're trying to polish a cellulose finish - actually there's no need to spend serious money on megiuars because t-cut is just as good - my hand-made cellulose finish bouzouki was cleaned up with t-cut and it looks just fine, 30 years later.

I don't think it's gonna work on a Warwick!

[quote name='Moos3h' post='654140' date='Nov 13 2009, 11:35 PM']Boring but true, microfibre cloth and fresh (or not) breath. Seriously, unless the guitar is caked, it brings it up a treat.[/quote]

You can use saliva on really bad areas. Saliva tends to cut through any dirt. If you really don't want to do that try de-ionised water. Garages used to sell it for topping up car batteries and it's the stuff you can put in irons.

[quote name='7string' post='654476' date='Nov 14 2009, 03:05 PM']You can use saliva on really bad areas. Saliva tends to cut through any dirt. If you really don't want to do that try de-ionised water. Garages used to sell it for topping up car batteries and it's the stuff you can put in irons.[/quote]
I knew a woman who restored violins and spit was one of the most important substances she used when it came to the finish. Yuk! TBH, I don't see much point in spending twice the money on half the amount of 'special guitar polish' when it's probably just car polish in another tin. Mind you, I'm not sure I'd use either if I was cleaning up a pre CBS Jazz :)

Edited by henry norton