Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fender P/J - is it me or is the Jazz pickup too far from bridge?

Clarky

Good MIA 2008 bass with quality mods (Nordstrand, badass) but it just looks awkward to me????

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bass-USA-with-Nordstrand-Pickups_W0QQitemZ300366369630QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item45ef3b135e"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bas...=item45ef3b135e[/url]

[quote name='OldGit' post='652904' date='Nov 12 2009, 06:55 PM']is that the "1970's" jazz bridge position?[/quote]

Looks like the 60's position to me - 70's took a step back. The guy is probably right if anyone cares to measure a 60's Jazz pickup position and transfer that measurement to a Precision is does result in the pickup nearly 'bumping into' the scrachplate.

[quote name='Beedster' post='652915' date='Nov 12 2009, 07:07 PM']60's position[/quote]

And exactly where my Sadowsky P/J PUPs were. It's amatter of preference really, I found I ciould get a lovely clean and powerful tone from the J-PUP in that position but it was hard to get real honk :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='652904' date='Nov 12 2009, 06:55 PM']is that the "1970's" jazz bridge position?[/quote]
Actually, the '70s position is closer to the bridge than the '60s position. Compare these two reissues:

[attachment=36221:Fender_62___RI_JB.jpg] [attachment=36222:Fender_75_Nat.jpg]

The eBay auction actually doesn't look too wildly off, it's just it looks a little strange on a Precision since the scratchplate comes a bit lower.

[b]Edit:[/b] beaten to it... twice!

Edited by ~tl

[quote name='Beedster' post='652917' date='Nov 12 2009, 07:09 PM']And exactly where my Sadowsky P/J PUPs were. It's amatter of preference really, I found I ciould get a lovely clean and powerful tone from the J-PUP in that position but it was hard to get real honk :)[/quote]

Fair do's - still looks wrong IMHO

The J on my Tony Franklin is in (I guess) 70s position = 1 and 7/16 inches from base of the bridge.

Bridge pickup on my Classic Vibe is (I guess) 60s position = 1 and 11/16 inches from base of the bridge.

And on my American Deluxe P the neck side of the double J pickup is in 60s position but also extends nearer to the bridge of course = 1 inch from base of bridge:

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='652953' date='Nov 12 2009, 07:42 PM']The J on my Tony Franklin is in (I guess) 70s position = 1 and 7/16 inches from base of the bridge.[/quote]
Now your Tony Franklin is drop-dead and perfectly proportioned - as shown in Michael/wot's pic [attachment=36223:frank10.jpg]

.... this on on eBay just looks a little cramped to me (and its a shame to have to shave off part of the s/p). Its probably a cracking bass, mind, and good value if you are happy with the looks

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='652961' date='Nov 12 2009, 07:49 PM']Now your Tony Franklin is drop-dead and perfectly proportioned - as shown in Michael/wot's pic [attachment=36223:frank10.jpg]

.... this on on eBay just looks a little cramped to me (and its a shame to have to shave off part of the s/p). Its probably a cracking bass, mind, and good value if you are happy with the looks[/quote]
Well, Clarky, here's another of Michael's pics for your edification:

Do you think the ebay one has something shaved off the scratchplate? I can't see that.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='652976' date='Nov 12 2009, 08:06 PM']Do you think the ebay one has something shaved off the scratchplate? I can't see that.[/quote]
Stop putting up pics or I really will have to take up fretless!

The eBay description says "the pickguard has been shaved slightly just in front of the Jazz Pickup to stop your thumb being wedged" - you can see it, even though there's no close-ups. Its adjacent to the E string pole pieces on the Jazz pickup

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='652976' date='Nov 12 2009, 08:06 PM']Do you think the ebay one has something shaved off the scratchplate? I can't see that.[/quote]
According to the description it does:

[quote]No marks or dents, although the pickguard does have a few light scuffs and has been shaved slightly just in front of the Jazz Pickup to stop your thumb being wedged.[/quote]

[b]Edit:[/b] gah. Beaten to it again!

Edited by ~tl

[quote name='Clarky' post='652981' date='Nov 12 2009, 08:10 PM']Stop putting up pics or I really will have to take up fretless![/quote]
Sorry :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='652981' date='Nov 12 2009, 08:10 PM']The eBay description says "the pickguard has been shaved slightly just in front of the Jazz Pickup to stop your thumb being wedged" - you can see it, even though there's no close-ups. Its adjacent to the E string pole pieces on the Jazz pickup[/quote]
Ah yes, I must remember to actually read what it says. I can see now. Call me fickle but I don't like it anymore.

I'm a bit dubious about the idea of my thumb being wedged though.