Why become a member? ×

Sourcing Labella Strings, pref Online, UK ? Q. UPDATED AGAIN

BigBeatNut

I need to get a couple of sets of LaBella Deep Talkin' flats.

My two usual online sources (stringbusters and stringsdirect) aren't able to help me with the particular set I want (either Light or standard guage, std scale, 5-string) . Google shopping has drawn a blank, as has ebay.

Any other suggestions for where I might find these online ? .... prefer not to pay shop prices.

Thanks, Andy

Edited by BigBeatNut

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='648217' date='Nov 7 2009, 05:05 PM']Shame you need 5s - I have access to a couple of sets of 760FLS in 4-string sets only.[/quote]
I just bought a set from Stringbusters, they have very little LB in stock. They feel "dry" compared to the ones I bought last year. Weird.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='648256' date='Nov 7 2009, 05:51 PM']The current La Bella shortage is driving me insane. Bass Doc has helped me out for the moment, thankfully...[/quote]
So what's happening ... is the importer not bringing them in ? Is the answer to order from the US ? Or is the shortage related to Labella's output ?

And can anyone suggest alternatives ? Like, are rotosound flats pretty close in sound ? (I've never tried both brands on the same bass)

Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='648687' date='Nov 8 2009, 12:13 PM']So what's happening ... is the importer not bringing them in ? Is the answer to order from the US ? Or is the shortage related to Labella's output ?

And can anyone suggest alternatives ? Like, are rotosound flats pretty close in sound ? (I've never tried both brands on the same bass)

Andy[/quote]

I'd guess they're a pretty acquired taste in the first place, the exchange rate makes them very expensive, and the credit crunch means even less people are buying strings anyway, so importers aren't importing - no point getting caught with a load of strings only to find the exchange rate moves again and the competition can import and sell them cheaper.

No, IMO Rotosounds and La Bellas are a world apart in feel and tone. The former seem weak in comparison.

Good thing about La Bellas is that if you've got a set for each bass you need them for and a spare set for the very unlikely break (I've only broken one and that was stringing it through the body of my Telebass. Had I read the note on the pack advising against stringing through the body I would have a 100% recored with them), as the tone seems to improve with age, you don't need to keep buying them - Wot's problem is he just has too many basses and is in too many bands :). Whilst we're on the topic of the longevity of La Bellas, the only other thing I'd advise against is swapping between basses with different headstock configurations or scale lengths, as the sections under the silk become extremely brittle if wound and subsequently stretched again, IME far more so that other strings (for example I've swaped TI flats between Fender and Ric headstocks several times without problems but having done it once with La Bellas won't be doing it again).

Otherwise, they last for years and are a good investment if you like the vintage tone

Chris

Just to add to the Roto issue, you really will need to try them yourself on your bass with your amplification to determine how comparable they are, I didn't like the feel and found they didn't have as solid a tone as the LBs, but let's face it, different instruments respond differently to different strings (my Ric flatwounds sound awesome on my Ric but absolutely crap on my Precision). It's down to good ol' trial and error really

C

Edited by Beedster

I bought some LaBellas from US recently - I posted about this on BC a couple of weeks back in angry old git mode as good old HM Excise charged me VAT and a disproportionate processing fee which took a £30 eBay order up to something like £45 all-in :)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='648709' date='Nov 8 2009, 12:45 PM']Thanks Chris, very helpful.

Looks like I might be ordering Labellas from the U.S. then.

Andy[/quote]
That may well be your only option. Be prepared for import charges, though!

And.. FWIW I never cut my strings. I like loads of wraps on the posts..

[quote name='Beedster' post='648699' date='Nov 8 2009, 12:30 PM'], the exchange rate makes them very expensive, and the credit crunch means even less people are buying strings anyway, so importers aren't importing - no point getting caught with a load of strings only to find the exchange rate moves again and the competition can import and sell them cheaper.[/quote]
Just so, although the flipside of this is that the few UK manufacturers are doing well at the mo because their prices are cheap to other countries. This makes Rotos and Picato good value right now.
I use Picato flats myself on the electric basses, and have done for a couple of years. If they're good enough for Overwater...
I'm also enjoying my first tryout of Picato's double bass strings called Innovation - under £100 a set at full retail and they sound great!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59767&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=59767&hl=[/url]

In fact, you might want to get in touch with John (Warwickhunt) re his 5 string set with the unwanted B and Howard (Bass Doc) re his four string sets and see if you can't sort something

C

[quote name='Clarky' post='648716' date='Nov 8 2009, 12:51 PM']I bought some LaBellas from US recently - I posted about this on BC a couple of weeks back in angry old git mode as good old HM Excise charged me VAT and a disproportionate processing fee which took a £30 eBay order up to something like £45 all-in :)[/quote]
If I do order from the US I'm going to make it a few sets ...that way I hope postage and processing fees will be less significant ... though I know it will make no difference to the 40%-odd (VAT+excise) that will get wacked on top of US price and postage combined.

Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='648788' date='Nov 8 2009, 02:22 PM']If I do order from the US I'm going to make it a few sets ...that way I hope postage and processing fees will be less significant ... though I know it will make no difference to the 40%-odd (VAT+excise) that will get wacked on top of US price and postage combined.

Andy[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=64187&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=64187&hl=[/url]
Here's the post with the exact figures mentioned

Stringbusters wrote:
[quote]Hello Andy,

We have an order in with La Bella at the moment which we were hoping to get
later this month, but we aren't likely to see it this side of Christmas now
(they shut down their factory every December). The stock we get in does
generally last around three months but we sold out a bit faster this time
around.

We do buy direct from La Bella and have done for the last six or seven
years; but in order to get the best prices we have to have a minimum order,
plus they actually make the stock fresh for each order, rather than keep it
sitting around in warehouses - those are the two factors that lead to some
of the La Bella range being out of stock for a long time.

We will keep a note that you're after some and as soon as they land we'll
let you know, but if you need them urgently you might have to consider
ordering them wherever possible in the meantime.

Kind regards,

Adam @ Stringbusters[/quote]