Why become a member? ×

Sourcing Labella Strings, pref Online, UK ? Q. UPDATED AGAIN

BigBeatNut

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='648736' date='Nov 8 2009, 01:25 PM']@wot - import charges: already noted. Last time I looked at importing labella tape-wounds, the postage alone looked set to double the cost.

Okay .... is there any flat that comes [b]close[/b] to labellas .... e.g. fender, picato, pyramid, GHS .... whatever ?

Andy[/quote]

I've never tried labellas so not really qualified to answer, but I will anyway -
I use GHS flats on my 4 string jazz bass after trying, Fender E. Ball, Rotosound, TIs and DRs before settling on the GHS precisions.
They are the smoothest sounding and feeling that I have tried with a medium tension and ideal for old skool reggae or motown styles and like all flats, they improve with age.
I also like the TIs for my fretless, but they're not deep enough for dub.
I buy mine on ebay from [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GHS-Precision-Flatwound-Bass-Guitar-5-String-Set-45-126_W0QQitemZ370170933299QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item562fe83033"]this guy[/url] in the States and I have never been charged VAT or customs handling.
They usually arrive in about a week and they strings cost almost double in the UK even including shipping and the more you order, the cheaper the shipping.
Soirry for sounding like an advert and hope this helps.

Steve.

Edited by redstriper

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='650104' date='Nov 9 2009, 09:07 PM']I'd like to put a good word in for D'Addario Chromes. If I've ever needed replacements for my usual 1st choice of La Bellas, the 45-105 Chromes have provided a very close match (and would seem to be readily available).[/quote]
Thanks for that.

Andy