Why become a member? ×

Music Live 2009 @ N.E.C

BIG.J

Sorry to possibly disappoint but personally, I thought it was a sad state of affairs. I hadn't been for a couple of years and it was very visible to see how this show is dying. The hall could not be filled, empty stands from late pull outs, no appreance from advertised companies ( Bass Merchant and Bass Direct - I'm not blaming these guys as they probably had the foresight to see what was coming and held on to their hard earned cash).
I spoke with a couple of the people on the stands who also pointed out the increased width of the aisles to spread the stands out but also stopped passing trade.
Apart from a couple of good drum clinics, we walked away from it feeling quite jaded about the whole thing. I assume the London Excel show is better?
FP

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' post='647870' date='Nov 7 2009, 09:17 AM']Sorry to possibly disappoint but personally, I thought it was a sad state of affairs. I hadn't been for a couple of years and it was very visible to see how this show is dying. The hall could not be filled, empty stands from late pull outs, no appreance from advertised companies ( Bass Merchant and Bass Direct - I'm not blaming these guys as they probably had the foresight to see what was coming and held on to their hard earned cash).
I spoke with a couple of the people on the stands who also pointed out the increased width of the aisles to spread the stands out but also stopped passing trade.
Apart from a couple of good drum clinics, we walked away from it feeling quite jaded about the whole thing. I assume the London Excel show is better?
FP[/quote]

Thats quide sad news, I have never been before and a friend and I are going for a boys day out tomorrow to go and have a wonder round. Are Bass Merchant going this year does anyone know? Anyway this sound much like London International Music Show at Excel. I used to go to the London guitar show which used to be fabulous. It was the first place I saw Goodfellow basses in real life, Overwater and I seem to remeber playing a Celinder there as well but had no idea what it was at the time.

Its a shame but I think it has really gone down hill since it has become LIMS. My friend and I used to go every year and last year was pathetic. The music tech side was ok with some good stand and people like Apogee etc but bass wise it was shocking with none of the smaller brands/companies there like Overwater, real shame but I heard from a friend who had a stall previous years that the prices for stands was massively increased.

I will not make an effort to go there again unless I am after some bargain studio equipment.

I enjoyed Music Live at the NEC last year (first time I'd been), and was looking forward to it this year. But decided against it due to having a really 'orrible cold and just not feeling like doing anything much. Having read the comments on here, I'm quite glad I've saved the £18 entrance fee, and prob about £7 for parking.

Sad state of affairs.

I went in 2006 and met my two favourite guitarists! (Thomas Blug and Guthrie Govan) but I haven't bothered since. I found the show a bit weak, and I seem to recall that you couldn't actually buy anything?? Really pissed off with the MASSIVE car park charge, which they don't even mention anywhere at all beforehand.

The only reason for me to go would be if there was someone there I REALLY wanted to see. I would 100% be there if Thomas Blug was demoing H&K amps again, but I have to admit that I've met GG a few times now!. I prefer LIMS these days.

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' post='647870' date='Nov 7 2009, 09:17 AM']Sorry to possibly disappoint but personally, I thought it was a sad state of affairs. I hadn't been for a couple of years and it was very visible to see how this show is dying. The hall could not be filled, empty stands from late pull outs, no appreance from advertised companies ( Bass Merchant and Bass Direct - I'm not blaming these guys as they probably had the foresight to see what was coming and held on to their hard earned cash).
FP[/quote]

Phew! Glad I'm not going as these guys were the only reason I was going to make the trip. Last year was terrible and I vowed I wouldn't go this year, but I was starting to waver. Only reason I finally didn't go was that none of my regular exhibition posse were going. Glad I stuck to my original intention.

Giving it a miss this year for the first time since its inception. A bit sad really but it's increasingly becoming a small, shallow, over-expensive, corporate, bass & bargain-free disappointment.

They really need to bite the bullet & either call it a day or radically re-think & re-structure it. And tacking a dodgy has-beens & no-marks metalfest onto it ([url="http://www.hellfirefestival.com/?page=lineup"]Hellfire[/url]) isn't the way to do that.

Jon.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='648515' date='Nov 8 2009, 02:52 AM']I might nip down to see if I can blag some cheap bits later today (sunday!). If you are there, you won't miss me, I will be wearing my favourite tight lederhosen, white terry towelling socks and open toed sandals, surrounded by legions of adoring ladies..![/quote]

Ah, Brother - I thought I'd seen you around somewhere before! Kylie & Danni were asking for your phone number and not Beedster's...?

Went today, what a complete waste of time energy and money. The only very small saving grace was getting to chat with Martin Simms and play a Endfield 5 which was a very tasty bass, and also accidentally coming across Janek Gwidala at the TC electronics stand. He was amazing and his Fodera is the most stunning bass I have ever seen.

That was quite cool but not worth £18, the whole thing was a shambles, hardly any gear by any major brands, I will never go near that show or LIMS come to mention it, ever again.

[quote name='NJE' post='648850' date='Nov 8 2009, 03:34 PM']Went today, what a complete waste of time energy and money. The only very small saving grace was getting to chat with Martin Simms and play a Endfield 5 which was a very tasty bass, and also accidentally coming across Janek Gwidala at the TC electronics stand. He was amazing and his Fodera is the most stunning bass I have ever seen.

That was quite cool but not worth £18, the whole thing was a shambles, hardly any gear by any major brands, I will never go near that show or LIMS come to mention it, ever again.[/quote]

I was planning to go today - glad I couldn't make it in light of this!