Why become a member? ×

'54 RI Fender Precision Bass - SOLD

Floyd Pepper

Hi,

I've decided to thin down my collection of P basses and so, the bass that actually got me into the Precision sound is up for grabs. It's a '54 RI CIJ in the unmissable Blue Flower finish which I have had since July 2008. Previous to that it belonged to our fellow basschatter Burritobass who has informed me that it was purchased new towards the end of 2004/early 2005. I used it for a handful of gigs in 08 but its then been stored at home since then. All original stock parts and a great bass to play with a great maple neck.

It is in excellent condition (I can't find a mark on it) and comes with a Rockcase Hard case finished in an interesting Snake skin finish. (you're not going to be overlooked with this combination!)

I've attached a couple of quick pics so that you get the idea but I will add some more tomorrow once daylight hits us again.
[attachment=35735:RRRBass.JPG][attachment=35736:54_P_Bas...e_Flower.jpg]

Price is £350.00. I always prefer not to post and I'm based near J13 M25.
Cheers,
Jim

Edited by Floyd Pepper

More pictures added.
For those not familiar, it has a single piece pickup ( as per '51 Tele Bass) and string through body.
[attachment=35750:DSC_5967.JPG][attachment=35751:DSC_5968.JPG]
[attachment=35752:DSC_5969.JPG][attachment=35753:DSC_5970.JPG]
[attachment=35754:DSC_5971.JPG]

As the original owner of this bass Jim I think this is criminally underpriced. I've seen these go for up to £600 on EBay & that's without the ashtrays and the (admittedly vulgar) case! Priced to sell quickly.

On the plus side it looks like you are keeping on top of those autumn leaves in the garden which is encouraging. Do you shampoo those cream carpets? It's a great colour but you really have to make sure guests wipe there feet as they come in or you have a whole bucket load of trouble!

[quote name='bigjohn' post='646171' date='Nov 5 2009, 02:35 PM']Does anyone know if you can get these basses in solid colours?[/quote]

No I guess, I bought one in natural and then sent to my luthier for a refinish in nitro sonic blue. I'll put a picture if the seller don't mind.

[quote name='jsixties' post='646204' date='Nov 5 2009, 01:21 PM']No I guess, I bought one in natural and then sent to my luthier for a refinish in nitro sonic blue. I'll put a picture if the seller don't mind.[/quote]

Doesn't the natural come with a scratchplate?

Just regarding the above posts, the natural is based on the original 51 P-bass which was a slab body. The blue flower (& pink paisley) are based on the '54 design when Leo added the cutaway. The Sting model and (I believe) the Mike Dirnt models are also styled on the mid 50s style i.e. with the cutaway. The vintage single coil pickup is awesome and you get a really meaty sound.

Looks like this is sold.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='646101' date='Nov 5 2009, 11:22 AM']As the original owner of this bass Jim I think this is criminally underpriced. I've seen these go for up to £600 on EBay & that's without the ashtrays and the (admittedly vulgar) case! Priced to sell quickly.

On the plus side it looks like you are keeping on top of those autumn leaves in the garden which is encouraging. Do you shampoo those cream carpets? It's a great colour but you really have to make sure guests wipe there feet as they come in or you have a whole bucket load of trouble![/quote]

Many thanks for the concern of my carpet Tim and yes, the leaves are under control which is about the only thing that is!

[quote name='jsixties' post='646204' date='Nov 5 2009, 01:21 PM']No I guess, I bought one in natural and then sent to my luthier for a refinish in nitro sonic blue. I'll put a picture if the seller don't mind.[/quote]

No probs.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='646468' date='Nov 5 2009, 07:19 PM']Oh God, 2 of these beauties in one afternoon. And the red Coronado.

The Missus is looking nervous.[/quote]

And my Infinity at a bargain price today, don't forget it. :)
C'mon boys, the blueflower has to go now.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='646208' date='Nov 5 2009, 01:27 PM']Doesn't the natural come with a scratchplate?[/quote]

so does this...

squier do a sonic blue '54 reissue(ish). the mike dirnt is also this shape and comes in solid colours, however its got a rosewood fretboard and a normal split precision bass pickup.