Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot mid pre-shape / EQ debate

mep

I have had my Trace Series 6 AH200 GP12 Head for years now. I usually use the 12 band graphic to get my sound, but have recently gone to the mid pre-shape which sounds the dogs dangly bits with my 2 band MM stingray 4.

So, do you use the mid pre-shape or graphic? If the graphic (7 or 12 band) then what eq settings.

[quote name='mep' post='645250' date='Nov 4 2009, 01:58 PM']I have had my Trace Series 6 AH200 GP12 Head for years now. I usually use the 12 band graphic to get my sound, but have recently gone to the mid pre-shape which sounds the dogs dangly bits with my 2 band MM stingray 4.

So, do you use the mid pre-shape or graphic? If the graphic (7 or 12 band) then what eq settings.[/quote]
The pre-shape is too much for me: it gives me too much bass and too much top. I just set a slight smile on the graphic centred at 600 Hz (or thereabouts), which gives me something similar but not quite as extreme. It all depends on your speakers and your bass though - and the sound you're looking for.

My rig is mostly there for onstage monitoring so the tone isn't so critical. I tend to go clean through without any EQ or pre-shapping.

The desk gets a pre-EQ signal, regardless, which leaves the sound guy with something he can set as he likes for FOH.

If I am in a venue where a flat EQ is difficult to hear or the rest of the band are overpowering my amp I will switch in the EQ and boost the mids.

I just tend to hit the mid shape and then add a bit of top if needed with the EQ pot. Never bothered with the 7 or 12 band EQ!

Now I tend to use the Hartke which has three EQ pots. Bliss. And gives a similar pre-shaped sound pretty easily.

But FWIW, I reckon the pre-shape is the killer selling point of all Trace stuff, past and present. It's what makes those amps so unique.

I have a AH400SMX which has two pre-shapes and a 12 band graphic eq. Up until recently I had been using pre-shape 2 with a bit of bass and mid boosted on my 3 band eq Stingray. I've justed started playing a Status Series2 and have been using the eq on the bass with the Trace pre-shape and graphic turned off.

Edited by gazhowe

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='654647' date='Nov 14 2009, 04:50 PM']I don't get on with TE amps' EQ. I bypass as much of the preamp as possible when I (infrequently) use them at rehearsal rooms.[/quote]

+1 If anything I boost mids for the fretless. But what's really needed for that mwah is a parametric to hit it spot on I think.

fatback