Why become a member? ×

Ovation Magnum 1 or 2 query...

richrips

Hi everyone,

I've been offered an ovation magnum bass for £500.

It is natural mahogany finish, good condition and includes the hardcase. The scratchplate looks non-original (lacks writing and the outputs are furthur apart than normal...). This means either the scratchplate broke and was replaced, or the bass is a convert from magnum 2 to 1 spec (the 1 being more popular nowadays due to the stereo outputs, and passive setup instead of the mono output with the noisy, battery hungry active EQ).

Is it worth the £500 asking price? is the modification/conversion likely to affect its value to a large extent?

opinions, particularly from magnum owners etc most appreciated!

cheers,
rich

Get it or give me their number :)

Looks in great condition, all of these were hand so some differences in the build could be apparent, I don;'t think a different scratchplate would make a huge difference, they are so unique and rare these days people are just happy to find them. I'm sure they are going for more than 1k usd on US Ebay

I've got a Magnum 1 (fretless), and it's a keeper. I'd say £500 for this is a good buy, especially with the case (made by Samsonite I think) - these used to be very unloved and cheap as chips, but recently seem to have acquired the classic status they deserve - V&R have one for around the £950 mark. Pickguard definitely a replacement (mines got a crack running from one of the jack sockets), but you can get replacement identuical to the originals on US ebay for £40. The aluminium bridge / pickup frame was painted black and most (as here) are stripped and polished.
Barry Adamson, Jah Wobble, Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth) and Ross Vallory (???spelling -Journey) all used these - Barry Adamsons sound with it is one of the all time greatest bass tones IMO. Go for it! :)

Edit 2 posts got in while I was typing that!

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='richrips' post='645111' date='Nov 4 2009, 11:59 AM']Hi everyone,

I've been offered an ovation magnum bass for £500.

It is natural mahogany finish, good condition and includes the hardcase. The scratchplate looks non-original (lacks writing and the outputs are furthur apart than normal...). This means either the scratchplate broke and was replaced, or the bass is a convert from magnum 2 to 1 spec (the 1 being more popular nowadays due to the stereo outputs, and passive setup instead of the mono output with the noisy, battery hungry active EQ).

Is it worth the £500 asking price? is the modification/conversion likely to affect its value to a large extent?

opinions, particularly from magnum owners etc most appreciated!

cheers,
rich[/quote]

Rich, Hi.
I have a Magnum III, dark charcoal sort of colour - I paid more than that
some time ago. I think the Magnum I's are more sought after, more of a
beefy design than the III and the IV (see pic of a III - not mine but the
same), so I would grab it.

[attachment=35706:MAAIII.jpg]
A new scratch plate shouldn't be a difficult job, if you wanted to
change it over. I found Fender UK very helpful, when I needed some bits for
my Viper - they are the Ovation people in the UK - they may be able to
put you onto an original item.

:)

Cheers guys,
Seems like the general message is "go for it" so i think i may just have to!

does anyone know if there is a way of dating these? i know they were late 70's/early 80's but is there any way of telling the exact model/year from the serial? (i'd kinda like to know whether it was originally a magnum 1 or 2 i guess).

As for you guys who play them, what is the best way to go about amplifying? is one of the pickups better for clean or effects? is bi-amping actually of benefit with this bass? do you recommend compression? what strings? is there a global ban on slapping on one of these (i feel there probably should be.... i saw the guy from Aswad plays one!) or is there a way to get a useable slap tone out of it?

Picking it up this saturday, in all it's hideous, obscure, 70's mix up glory.....

and i'm checking out barry adamson as soon as i get home!

Thanks,
Rich

I've always wanted one of those - they're f***ing fantastic basses!
I may have to pay you a visit to have a look if you get it....... :)

Have a look here for dating/serial number information:
[url="http://www.ovationguitars.com/?fa=codethree"]http://www.ovationguitars.com/?fa=codethree[/url]

One thing you might not be aware of with these basses - there's a strange proximity effect thing that happens with one of the pickups (can't remember if it's neck or bridge) where if you bend a string the note just disappears.
I think this is common to all Magnums but I'm not sure - maybe somebody could comment on this if they know for sure.

[quote name='dave.c' post='645539' date='Nov 4 2009, 06:13 PM']And some pics!

[attachment=35725:Ovation_...m_1_copy.jpg]
[attachment=35720:650c.JPG]
[attachment=35719:Dave_C_M...um_07_lo.jpg]
[attachment=35718:Dave_C_Magnum_01.JPG]
[attachment=35723:03062007146.jpg]
[attachment=35722:Magnum_I.jpg]
[attachment=35724:Magnum_II.jpg][/quote]

NO WAY!!!
that blue (white?) magnum with the metal scratchplate is pretty much the sweetest looking bass i have seen in ages! it's like a prop out of some 70's sci-fi! i saw it archived on some website and thought damn thats tasty..... do you still have it? do you fancy swapping it for the one i'm buying (longshot!)? i'm almost tempted to refin mine in a similar vein....

lets start a magnum club (the whole thing's gone to my head...)....

nice basses

[quote name='FlatEric' post='645208' date='Nov 4 2009, 01:20 PM']I found Fender UK very helpful, when I needed some bits for
my Viper - they are the Ovation people in the UK - they may be able to
put you onto an original item.[/quote]

No way - You have a Viper....?

Pics please.. is it a CCB or black...? I've been after a blk one for ages.

My CCB in the middle of these.

[quote name='dave.c' post='645539' date='Nov 4 2009, 06:13 PM']And some pics!

[attachment=35725:Ovation_...m_1_copy.jpg]
[attachment=35720:650c.JPG]
[attachment=35719:Dave_C_M...um_07_lo.jpg]
[attachment=35718:Dave_C_Magnum_01.JPG]
[attachment=35723:03062007146.jpg]
[attachment=35722:Magnum_I.jpg]
[attachment=35724:Magnum_II.jpg][/quote]

Just. . . . . . WOW.

I guess that is a re-finish - I've never seen one that colour!! :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='645938' date='Nov 5 2009, 07:25 AM']No way - You have a Viper....?

Pics please.. is it a CCB or black...? I've been after a blk one for ages.

My CCB in the middle of these.[/quote]

Ahh, erm . . . some confusion here.
As I also visit "The Dark Side" (playing guitar - you know, those tiny things
with cheese wire on - usually attached to God's Gift to women) my "Viper"
is a 70's GUITAR. Sorry if you got a bit excited!!!

Cheers.
Flat Eric. :)

[quote name='richrips' post='645404' date='Nov 4 2009, 04:15 PM']and i'm checking out barry adamson as soon as i get home!

Thanks,
Rich[/quote]

Magazine ('78 - '81-ish) Listen to "Permafrost", "Back to Nature" and "The light pours out of me" - any track's a goodie though, superb band.

Gotta hear "don't stop beleiving" (Journey) too of course!

[quote name='richrips' post='645811' date='Nov 4 2009, 10:47 PM']NO WAY!!!
that blue (white?) magnum with the metal scratchplate is pretty much the sweetest looking bass i have seen in ages! it's like a prop out of some 70's sci-fi! i saw it archived on some website and thought damn thats tasty.....[/quote]

That was on ebay a couple of years back - definitely a refin, but a tasty one. Original finishes were only natural mahogany, a "sunburst" mahogany (like a T-bird), and possibly translucent cherry, with black pickguard. The first production bass to use graphite in the neck I think , along with Alembic.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='645858' date='Nov 4 2009, 11:45 PM'][/quote]

Damn, where did you dig that old pic of me from! I'm sure I've still got those strides somewhere......... :)

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='dave.c' post='645947' date='Nov 5 2009, 07:56 AM']No Magnums among my basses at the moment I'm afraid, but I have a similar scratchplate somewhere if you want it!

Dave[/quote]

i'd actually be quite keen on the scratchplate if you have it. is it magnum 1 spec? picking up the bass at a suspicious M5 junction on sunday.....

cheers,
rich

[quote name='FlatEric' post='645944' date='Nov 5 2009, 07:41 AM']Ahh, erm . . . some confusion here.
As I also visit "The Dark Side" (playing guitar - you know, those tiny things
with cheese wire on - usually attached to God's Gift to women) my "Viper"
is a 70's GUITAR. Sorry if you got a bit excited!!!

Cheers.
Flat Eric. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Booooooooooo ......... ssssssssssssss!

Bad man!

I thought for a glorious minute that someone else had a Viper bass...... rare as rockin' 'oss poop!

I soooooo want a mint black one!

:)

[quote name='Shaggy' post='650446' date='Nov 10 2009, 10:31 AM']Yup. Not sure what Ross Vallory is playing now, but then it was a Magnum 1, live & studio.[/quote]

Interesting, that song has quite the unusual tone, but never figured if it was the bass itself or all that processing. hows it done?

[quote name='Bassmingo' post='650616' date='Nov 10 2009, 01:39 PM']Interesting, that song has quite the unusual tone, but never figured if it was the bass itself or all that processing. hows it done?[/quote]

Alot of compression and a touch of flange/chorus and overdrive I'd say - typical '80's power ballad production! They're naturally growly basses though, with a natural acoustic-like resonance (the mahogany I guess) and massive low end on the neck p/u