Why become a member? ×

Trade complete

alanbass1

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking from personal experience, the Bravewood easily outclasses the Fender CS in build, tone and visual aesthetics. If you're near me, feel free to drop round my place if you want to try my Bravewood Bass of Doom. The Fender CS relic job is gobsmackingly bad.

Cheers,

Nick

[quote name='alanbass1' post='655689' date='Nov 16 2009, 09:23 AM']Well, I have laid low on this as I'm really in two minds as to whether I want to let this bass go. However, I do have GAS for a traditional passive jazz and I really do want a top fretless t see if I can really get to grips playing fretless. I will put this up one more time to see whether there is anything out there that will make me part with her; the list is pretty specific and I'm happy for cash to play a part in any deal (either way). So, the basses that will definately interest me are:

1. Fender Custom Shop Jaco Signature (Straight deal)
2. Late 60's (plus cash from me)/Early 70's Fender Jazz (Straight deal)
3. 70's Musicman Stingray fretless
4. Bravewood Jaco replica (plus cash)
5. Fender US Jaco Signature (plus cash)
6. Fender Custom Shop '60's Jazz (plus cash)

Some more photo's of the Celinder:

[/quote]

[quote name='alanbass1' post='655689' date='Nov 16 2009, 09:23 AM']So, the basses that will definately interest me are:

1. Fender Custom Shop Jaco Signature (Straight deal)
2. Late 60's (plus cash from me)/Early 70's Fender Jazz (Straight deal)
3. 70's Musicman Stingray fretless
4. Bravewood Jaco replica (plus cash)
5. Fender US Jaco Signature (plus cash)
6. Fender Custom Shop '60's Jazz (plus cash)[/quote]

Couple of thoughts Alan. Firstly, the Jaco relic is nothing like as good as the Wal I traded with you and only marginally better than the MIJ Jaco I also got from you. Secondly, I really believe that if you're looking for an instrument to get you into fretless, and that neither the Wal or the Jaco did it, you need to look at something that's truly versatile and which produces a range of fretless tones with ease (which I don't think was true of either of those instruments, irrespective of how good they were - the Wal was very mid heavy whilst the Jaco had to be worked pretty hard, as does the CS relic). I would probably aim my sights at something more technologically current e.g., Pedulla, Modulus, even Status, than the vintage retro stuff above. These are, of course, just my opinions :)

Good luck anyway

Chris

Edited by Beedster

Just a quick comparison for ref purposes...

Fender CS
[attachment=36447:Jaco_Back_FUll.jpg]

Bravewood
[attachment=36448:jaco_bass_3.jpg]

Beeeg difference...if you're into the squirrel analogy, the Bravewood may be nibbled but the Fender CS has been licked...sander city...probably took ten minutes...

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='655735' date='Nov 16 2009, 10:22 AM']+1, if it's a true replica of Jaco's mojo'd '62 it makes me wonder whether I'd buy a real mojo'd '62

C[/quote]

[quote name='Cairobill' post='655758' date='Nov 16 2009, 10:38 AM']Beeeg difference...if you're into the squirrel analogy, the Bravewood may be nibbled but the Fender CS has been licked...sander city...probably took ten minutes...[/quote]

Make FCS look pretty incompetent doesn't it. The MRP for that bass is well over £3000 :)

I echo Beedster here.

The most efficient fretless I have ever played is my old Zon Special which was sold to Gwilym then onto someone else. They are absolutely amazing, sing for ever and give you a wide range of tones. They have phenomenally low action and are a breeze to play.

A fretless jazz is instant Jaco but you do have to push it a bit (which of course give the glorious throaty jaco tones, which no other bass can really match) which might make it not the best first fretless...

Good luck finding the right one and , of course, feel free to try my Bravewood...

N

[quote name='alanbass1' post='655828' date='Nov 16 2009, 11:31 AM']Thanks for the response guys. I'm pretty much set on a more vintage vibe - I had played the US factory (non aged) version of the Jaco bass and really got on with - I especially liked the epoxy fretboard in feel and sound. The reason I put the Custom Shop version up was for 'equivalent' value purposes but judging by the comments I will probably err away from these. I had a MIJ Jazz which I liked a lot and used that as a part trade for a Wal with Beedster.

Beedster, I shouldn't have traded the MIJ bass and got the fingerboard done - it was a lovely bass especially with the Lindy Fralin's. Do you still have it as I would willingly take it off you for the same money? I agree about the Wal, just far too mid heavy and that's why I'm looking for the softer edge of a passive jazz.

I would love to get a real '62 (to go with my Precision) but......cost (biggest issue) and if one come along would I then start hacking the frets/fingerboard - I don't think so. Of course, if anyone out there has a '62 Jazz already modded that they want just a few grand for then let me know!!!!!!!!

Cairo - fancy a trade???????[/quote]

Hi mate
I can see your logic. Afraid I moved the MIJ bass on as I can't get on with dots in the wrong place (as I think everyone on this forum is sick and tired of hearing). TBH fretless Jazzes are generally 'softer' that a Wal, but are also pretty mid-heavy. They also tend to require quite a lot of work to get the range of tones we associate with the likes of Jaco. I might be basing this statement too much on my own experience and opinion, but I tend to see the fretless Jazz as far more of a one trick pony than its fretted version (others may well disagree and I'd be keen to hear their thoughts). I've a J-Retro in mine which increases the tonal range substantially but sometimes I still feel like I'm pushing tones that aren't really coming out of the PUPs. I strongly believe that the most useable/versatile fretless tones are those to be had from a PJ PUP combination (which is something I'm working on at present), probably backed up by a preamp of some sort. Given that John (Warwickhunt) is thinking of moving on my/yours old Sadowsky P/J, I've seriously considered getting it back and defretting it. It would be an expensive move but might give me the bass I'm after, i.e., great natural tone and sustain, versatile and great to play. Now don't go stealing my idea mate!
Chris

I'm in Sarf London. Likewise, the Bravewood has a real "I am your number one bass" quality. They ooze magic. Dunno how he does it - he must be a druid or something...

But I did play a Celinder (the Me'Shell daphne Blue one in the Gallery) recently...and that bass was an amazing thing indeed...

Nick

[quote name='Mokl' post='656270' date='Nov 16 2009, 07:19 PM']*sob* This bass really is right up my street, and I have a lovely Bravewood fretless Jazz too. Not sure I could ever part with it though tbh. Purely for reasons of interest, where are you based Cairo?...[/quote]

Edited by Cairobill

Doh! Sorry Cairo, I meant to ask alanbass his location, but my tired brain got me all confused. Anyway, you are spot on about the Bravewood, mine is a wondrous thing. I was hoping to hear that alanbass was far enough away from me to put to rest my growing rumblings of temptation.... So alan, just out of interest?.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Utterly lovely - an absolute bargain too. I picked up a Celinder P a few weeks ago and it's simply the finest P style bass I've ever had the pleasure to play. Celinder's work is simply outstanding - as good as any bass-maker anywhere in the world IMO. I can't see this Jazz being anything less than superb: buy with confidence

• 2 weeks later...