Why become a member? ×

Unusual Rickenbacker

retroman

Hi Chaps, bit of a head scratcher this one?

Just been watching an old Motorhead video, and Lemmy is playing a Ric 4001, Maple Glo, bound body, but a maple fret board with dot markers.

I love old Ric's, and I have never seen that combo before! I thought that if you had dot markers, it meant you had a 4001S with unbound body, but still had a rosewood board, and it was the 4001 deluxe models that came bound, but with the sail fin inlays and a rosewood board?

Just wondered if anyone can shed some light on said beasty :)

I nearly caused an all out riot when I suggested on the Rickresource that it could be a copy. Rickenbacker did produce limited amounts of custom stuff in the early 70s but this one could also have had a new fretboard. It could also be a copy which would mean that the really expensive 4003LK is a folly. i say copy - get it round them.

Yeah, I suppose it could have had a new fretboard, if one of the truss rods broke or something. I'm not normally a fan of maple boards, but it looks sweet on a maple glo Ric :rolleyes: The bass in question does look a bit of a mongrel :lol:

Don't get me started on the limited edition Lemmy bass. very drool worthy, just a shame it wasn't quite an exact replica. For the money it was, it should have been :) Still GASSING badly for one though! :lol:

[quote name='Bassassin' post='639339' date='Oct 28 2009, 06:51 PM']Lemmy's been seen with a good few interesting Ricks & Rick-shaped things - check this out:

No idea if this has ever been within 10000 miles of Santa Ana, but it's way cooler than those LK4004 monstrosities, and I want it. :)

Jon.[/quote]

You don't suppose that belt might scratch the back of his Ricky's ...

:rolleyes:

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='639349' date='Oct 28 2009, 06:56 PM']You don't suppose that belt might scratch the back of his Ricky's ...

:)[/quote]

Would be a sure way to authenticate when one ''Owned By Lemmy'' turns up on ebay.

Those frets are serious, 3 times the width of 4001's.

[quote name='retroman' post='639311' date='Oct 28 2009, 06:09 PM']Hi Chaps, bit of a head scratcher this one?

Just been watching an old Motorhead video, and Lemmy is playing a Ric 4001, Maple Glo, bound body, but a maple fret board with dot markers.

I love old Ric's, and I have never seen that combo before! I thought that if you had dot markers, it meant you had a 4001S with unbound body, but still had a rosewood board, and it was the 4001 deluxe models that came bound, but with the sail fin inlays and a rosewood board?

Just wondered if anyone can shed some light on said beasty :)[/quote]

The one with the maple board was his second Rick and he bought it for £80. It arrived (from a possibly dodgy source - i.e. half-inched) with no frets and loads of holes in the head, according to the man himself. He reckons it's a real one though. I suspect it maybe had the board changed; it's something I've nearly done myself several times over the years (I like maple boards).

[quote name='retroman' post='639321' date='Oct 28 2009, 02:18 PM']Don't get me started on the limited edition Lemmy bass. very drool worthy, just a shame it wasn't quite an exact replica. For the money it was, it should have been :) Still GASSING badly for one though! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Since the carving on the 4004LK's were all done by hand, being an "exact" replica would be impossible. Other than that just a 4001/4003 bridge p/u surround/cover and "Rickenbastard" TRC are the only difference. I'm glad they left the p/u surround/cover off......Lemmy's TRC would be cool though. They weren't that expensive when they were available for order.....I only paid $1895 (US) for mine in 2005 when it was finally completed. To those that say that the LK is hideous, I felt the same way when they were initially announced but ordered anyway. It grew on me the more I looked at it and since I have received it I am completely enamored. It's quite the player as well and sounds HUGE!

Edited by incubus2432

Not a fan of the LK - although I really like the checked binding & star position markers - in fact everything except the carving! It looks like it belongs on the front of your nan's sideboard. :)

If you can neither find nor afford the now staggeringly rare original, those devious Chinese (or wherever) copyists have had a go:

[attachment=35315:Lemmy_1.JPG][attachment=35316:Lemmy_2.JPG]

Unfortunately they left off the best bit (the binding) & replaced it with what looks queasily like a knotted scroll of dog faeces. :wacko:

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='639601' date='Oct 29 2009, 12:35 AM']Unfortunately they left off the best bit (the binding) & replaced it with what looks queasily like a knotted scroll of dog faeces. :wacko:

J.[/quote]

I just laughed so hard I nearly peed myself - that is one hell of a description but so blooming true!!!

Hehehe! The woodworking is very clever but theres something very `un-Lemmy' about it!

Nick

[quote name='Bassassin' post='639601' date='Oct 28 2009, 11:35 PM']Not a fan of the LK - although I really like the checked binding & star position markers - in fact everything except the carving! It looks like it belongs on the front of your nan's sideboard. :)

If you can neither find nor afford the now staggeringly rare original, those devious Chinese (or wherever) copyists have had a go:

[attachment=35315:Lemmy_1.JPG][attachment=35316:Lemmy_2.JPG]

Unfortunately they left off the best bit (the binding) & replaced it with what looks queasily like a knotted scroll of dog faeces. :wacko:

J.[/quote]
:rolleyes: that binding makes it look more like the sideboards made in India, my friend imports for peoples nan's..

[quote name='retroman' post='639682' date='Oct 29 2009, 06:58 AM']I bet Ric never put Lemmy's rather unique truss rod cover on the signature bass.........If you look very carefully, it actually says "Rickenbastard" :)[/quote]
Funnily enough that was my inspiration to call my 70s Kasuga copy the Rickenbugger! :rolleyes:

J.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='639317' date='Oct 28 2009, 07:13 PM']I nearly caused an all out riot when I suggested on the Rickresource that it could be a copy. Rickenbacker did produce limited amounts of custom stuff in the early 70s but this one could also have had a new fretboard. It could also be a copy which would mean that the really expensive 4003LK is a folly. i say copy - get it round them.[/quote]

Those guys on rickresource are a right bunch of dummy-spitters. Say what you want, mate!

[quote name='Bassassin' post='639339' date='Oct 28 2009, 07:51 PM']Lemmy's been seen with a good few interesting Ricks & Rick-shaped things - check this out:

No idea if this has ever been within 10000 miles of Santa Ana, but it's way cooler than those LK4004 monstrosities, and I want it. :)

Jon.[/quote]
I agree: the LK signature is bowff! it looks like it's been made out of bits of cuckoo clock!