Why become a member? ×

Muddy tone on E string on MIA P bass

alexisonfire

Does anyone have a clue why my E string would sound dull and muddy in comparison with all the other strings on my bass even with new strings on? I have tried adjusting the pickup height but that doesn't seem to work?

I usually have the E string dropped to D but I still have the problem even in E?

Any help would be great!

I have an old '76 P-bass, and i've always thought that as well. I've tried lots of strings and wonder if it is the pickups or somehow the construction/woods that contributes to the final tone. A D and G all sound bright and the E string sounds like a flatwound string. Hmmm. Usual advice is to change your strings but I wonder if it isn't the PUs.

Davo

I've had a dull E string on a couple of different basses, even after changing the strings, one was a Fender P bass the other was a P bass copy. I never did get to the bottom of why I'm afraid. I thought it was just my imagination at first, but the band confirmed they could hear it too.

I wondered if it was a raised fret just taking the edge off the vibration of the string, but there was no buzz.

Sorry, don't know, but I've had the same thing.

I'm at work at the moment, I'll have a listen later to see if its different acoustically.

It's really annoying me as to get good tone on the E string in having the crank up the presence on the sansamp wich is making D and G strings really twangy and horrible sounding, so having to comprimise at the moment :/

Thanks for the replys so far though.

Martin

Interesting post....Same problem here! I thought it was only the basses I've owned the ones that had this problem.

I've always found the sound on the E string on different P basses I've owned a bit dull/muddy even when trying different string brands.
As it's been pointed out, I've had to crank up the presence, high mids or trebele but then it resulted on the rest of the strings being to clanky... It gets even worst if you d-tune!

As much as I like the soud of a P bass, it's always been a major draw back and the reason I always favour jazz basses instead.

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='alexisonfire' post='637829' date='Oct 27 2009, 01:00 PM']Does anyone have a clue why my E string would sound dull and muddy in comparison with all the other strings on my bass even with new strings on? I have tried adjusting the pickup height but that doesn't seem to work?

I usually have the E string dropped to D but I still have the problem even in E?

Any help would be great![/quote]

What strings are they?

If it sounds ok acoustically then that rules out any nut or bridge issue. The nut is only a factor when you play an open string anyway. If this deadness is still there when you fret, then it's not the nut. You could swap the A and E bridge saddles too, rule out the bridge.

Anyway, what might be worth trying is reversing the pickup under your E and A strings so the posts under the A string are now under the E string and vice versa. It should rule the pickup in or out as an issue fairly quickly, just make sure you don't put a screw through the wire when you're seating it, it's easy to do.

On the off chance, this isn't a Rotosound string, by any chance?

[quote name='alexisonfire' post='638756' date='Oct 28 2009, 08:28 AM']Im using Daddario Pro Steels :)[/quote]
Heh heh heh it was worth asking, I generally love the sound of Rotosounds but I've come across too many duff E strings over the years, sometimes a new pack yields the same problem.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='638742' date='Oct 28 2009, 08:08 AM']If it sounds ok acoustically then that rules out any nut or bridge issue. The nut is only a factor when you play an open string anyway. If this deadness is still there when you fret, then it's not the nut. You could swap the A and E bridge saddles too, rule out the bridge.

[b]Anyway, what might be worth trying is reversing the pickup under your E and A strings so the posts under the A string are now under the E string and vice versa. It should rule the pickup in or out as an issue fairly quickly[/b], just make sure you don't put a screw through the wire when you're seating it, it's easy to do.

On the off chance, this isn't a Rotosound string, by any chance?[/quote]

Was just about to suggest that!

Is there much involved in swopping the pup around? Im guessing as soon as I take off the s/p i'll be able to work it out?

Also if I find that this is the problem, could I litterally swop the two pups around so the dud is on the D string as I don't use it so much (obviously would be a temp mesaure until I can get some new pups).

Thanks again!

The wire fconnected to the controls usually connects to the G side of the D-G pickup and then from the D side to the A side where both pickups are connected, there may not be enough slack to completely rotate both pickups but there should be enough slack to rotate the E-A pickup. All you do is unscrew, keep an eye out if it uses springs to keep resistance between the body and the pickup, turn the pickup around and screw back in, making sure the screws stay inside the springs (some basses use foam) and that the wire is nowhere near the screws. Take your time and don't force the screws back in, find the existing hole, it's very easy to gouge a new hole in the body if you apply too much force with the screw in the wrong place.