Why become a member? ×

Songs That Have Been Covered Better Than The Original

Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='elom' post='68465' date='Oct 2 2007, 12:40 AM']Joyrider's cover of the Jane Wiedlin hit Rush Hour

One-hit wonder forgotten by everyone but me - still crackin' though.

Oh and also Ron Sexsmith's "I don't like Mondays"[/quote]

I remember Joyrider, I think they were from Northern Ireland. I've got that track on an indie comp. from 1996.

[quote name='Deep Thought' date='Oct 2 2007, 12:29 PM' post='68597']
Pixies-I Can't Forget (Leonard Cohen)

Sisters of Mercy-Jolene

(Tin helmet on) I prefer No Doubt's version of It's my Life (incoming!)

Stranglers-Walk on by

Husker Du-8 miles high

UK Subs-She's Not there

George Thorogood-One bourbon, one scotch, one beer (John Lee Hooker)

{/quote]

'Walk On By' by The Stranglers is just brilliant. JJ is aother big reason for choosing a bass over a guitar, the guy is still as cool as f**k.

[quote name='paul, the' post='68453' date='Oct 1 2007, 11:52 PM']Chilis - If you want jme to stay[/quote]

Now I love the Chilis but I think that cover is nothing compared to the original! Funny how everyone has different tastes.

The Clash - Police & Thieves

and to be honest most of the Renegades album by RATM..

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='68601' date='Oct 2 2007, 12:36 PM']'Walk On By' by The Stranglers is just brilliant. JJ is aother big reason for choosing a bass over a guitar, the guy is still as cool as f**k.[/quote]

Fully paid up member of the Shuker Owner's club, of course :)
[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/jjpb.htm"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/jjpb.htm[/url]

[quote name='dr.funk' post='68618' date='Oct 2 2007, 12:59 PM']Now I love the Chilis but I think that cover is nothing compared to the original! Funny how everyone has different tastes.

The Clash - Police & Thieves

and to be honest most of the Renegades album by RATM..[/quote]

I just like Anthony's voice on that one tbh.

Oh yes, Maggie's Farm.

Monster Magnet - Evil (Is Going On). I think this was originally by Willie Dixon.

China Drum - Wuthering Heights

Faith No More - War Pigs. It's largely a direct copy of the original, but Puffy's drums are just so powerful and full of life, driving the song really well, whilst Bill Ward sounds like he's playing cardboard boxes in the original. Plus of course Mike Patton is a waaaaaay better singer than Ozzy!

Allister - I Want It That Way. Cheating slightly as it's hard to imagine someone doing a Backstreet Boys song and making it sound worse.

There was a band called Spoiler (Dutch, I think) who did a brilliantly ironic Stoner-ish cover of the Grease song "You're The One That I Want" a couple of years ago. I remember seeing it through a drunken haze at about three in the morning on Kerrang! TV, but I've never managed to find a copy of it. It was fantastic.

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

[quote name='hipbass' post='69565' date='Oct 4 2007, 04:42 PM']The movie 'Big Lebowsky' features a great version of Viva Las Vegas over the end credits..Anyone know who by??[/quote]

"Viva Las Vegas" — written by Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman; performed by Big Johnson (with Bunny Lebowski) and by Shawn Colvin (closing credits).

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' post='69558' date='Oct 4 2007, 04:31 PM']There was a band called Spoiler (Dutch, I think) who did a brilliantly ironic Stoner-ish cover of the Grease song "You're The One That I Want" a couple of years ago. I remember seeing it through a drunken haze at about three in the morning on Kerrang! TV, but I've never managed to find a copy of it. It was fantastic.[/quote]

Arthur Mullard & Hilda Baker - Your the one that I want. Has to be seen to be believed! :)

H-Blockz - The Power (Snap)
Johnny Cash - Hurt (Nine Inch Nails)
Lemonheads - Mrs Robinson (Simon & Garfunkel)
Lemonheads - Different Drum (Linda Ronstadt)
Tricky - Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos (Public Enemy)
Quicksand - How Soon Is Now? (The Smiths)
Rage Against The Machine - How I Could Just Kill A Man (Cypress Hill)
The Specials - Monkey Man (Toots & The Maytals)
Tool - No Quarter (Led Zeppelin) Only just, mind.

Gun's version of "Word Up" was slightly better than Cameo's, (IMHO of course) though Cameo's was still good.

Having said that, I always enjoy watching the smug grin on the guitarist's face when I see Cameo's TOTP appearance, presumably as he thinks to himself that he doesn't have to get the bus home wearing that piece of cricketing attire.

Edit: on the other hand, one cover that's definitely worse than the original is Mariah Carey's version of "Without You". Does she ever just hold a note? Sounds like someone let a ferret get loose just before she recorded it.

Edited by Krysbass

[quote name='paul, the' post='68453' date='Oct 1 2007, 11:52 PM']...
No Doubt - It's My Life
Marvin Gaye - Yesterday
TATU - How Soon Is Now?
Hillary Duff - My Generation
Johnny Cash - Personal Jesus
If anyone mentions Feeling Good they may well get a slappin :huh:[/quote]

You're having a laugh, right? Trevor Horn - a bassist himself - should hang his head in shame for letting TATU do the Smiths. By halfway through the first line, you can tell they don't understand what they are singing: "I am the [b]son[/b]..." !

As for No Doubt's remake of [i]It's My Life[/i]: could have been worse, but the original is still close to perfect in my estimation, making the remake just exploitation.

OTOH, Muse's rendition of [i]Feeling Good[/i] is not half bad... :)

[quote name='bnt' post='69991' date='Oct 5 2007, 02:17 PM']You're having a laugh, right? Trevor Horn - a bassist himself - should hang his head in shame for letting TATU do the Smiths. By halfway through the first line, you can tell they don't understand what they are singing: "I am the [b]son[/b]..." !

As for No Doubt's remake of [i]It's My Life[/i]: could have been worse, but the original is still close to perfect in my estimation, making the remake just exploitation.

OTOH, Muse's rendition of [i]Feeling Good[/i] is not half bad... :)[/quote]

Forgot about that No Doubt cover. It was excellent, I thought.