Why become a member? ×

Songs That Have Been Covered Better Than The Original

Bass_In_Yer_Face

Reading the thread about songs that shouldn't be covered got me thinking tabout songs where the cover version has been better than the original.

Anyone who has ever covered a Bob Dylan song for openers :)

I do like the Foo Fighters covers on their singles, especially 'Have A Cigar' but I've tried very hard but can't get into Floyd

Failure's version of [i]Enjoy the Silence[/i] by Depeche Mode is at least a match for the original (and it's hardly a bad song to start with)
Tori Amos' [i]Smells like Teen Spirit [/i]is very different, and arguably better.
Overkill's [i]Frankenstein[/i] really does better the Edgar Winters Band's original, complete with BC Riches and Double Kick drums!

I'll add more as I think of them!

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='68080' date='Oct 1 2007, 12:32 PM']Joe Cockers "With a Little Help............."[/quote]
Absolutely, definitely +1000000.
JC's is the definitive version of that song. JMHO of course.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='68120' date='Oct 1 2007, 01:25 PM']Aretha Franklin "I say a little prayer".

Even Burt himself admitted it was far superior to Dionne Warwick's original.

Amen[/quote]

Aretha also took ownership of Otis Redding's Respect, but I prefer his version of Satisfaction to the original.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='68080' date='Oct 1 2007, 12:32 PM']Joe Cockers "With a Little Help............."[/quote]

Better than the original Wet Wet Wet version?!

(that was a joke by the way)

I think Faith No Mores version of War Pigs is better than the original, although I love both versions.

[quote name='Hamster' post='68090' date='Oct 1 2007, 12:45 PM']I was watching one last night on you tube - Eva Cassidy - Somewhere Over The Rainbow. Sublime.

Hamster[/quote]

So many excellent versions of that song -
Israel Kamakawiwo Ole's
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A2Jt4WOxN8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A2Jt4WOxN8[/url]

John Martyn
Bob Marley

Marvin Gaye's "I Heard it through the Grapevine" ..
Gladys Knight's original is fab but Marvin Gaye just got it spot on right ...

Edit. I just read the Wikipedia history of the song and it seems Marvin's was version 3 and Gladys' version 4 of the song cos Berry Gordy vetoed the release of the Marvin version :) So Marvin's is still a cover (of the Smokey Robinson and the Miracles version) :0

I wonder how many other Motown songs did that kind of run around. No wonder there's confusion over who's playing bass on the hits.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='68132' date='Oct 1 2007, 01:40 PM']Marvin Gaye's "I Heard it through the Grapevine" ..
Gladys Knight's orginal is fab but Marvin Gaye just got it spot on right ...[/quote]

Hmmm but which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I think Marvin's version was recorded before Gladys' version but they were released the other way around. And I don't think either was the original recording of the song, seem to recall reading that it had been kicking about for a while before either of these two recorded it.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='68138' date='Oct 1 2007, 01:48 PM']Hmmm but which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I think Marvin's version was recorded before Gladys' version but they were released the other way around. And I don't think either was the original recording of the song, seem to recall reading that it had been kicking about for a while before either of these two recorded it.[/quote]

yeah see the edit or wikipedia...

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='68174' date='Oct 1 2007, 02:51 PM']I wish Mick Hucknall would take a beating, haha.[/quote]

Looking how puffy he is now (looking like a cabbage patch kid), I think he already has.

Fairground by Simply Red is in my top most hated tunes of all time, it makes me angry whenever I hear it, I can't help myself :)

Guest Bald Eagle

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='68174' date='Oct 1 2007, 02:51 PM']I wish Mick Hucknall would take a beating, haha.[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean! :) , nontheless can't deny he is (was) a good singer/songwriter.