Why become a member? ×

Jon Shuker Custom Jazz 4 - Blue, matching headstock, LEDs

Mike

Okay, here we go!

I’m tentatively offering my beautiful Jon Shuker custom Jazz bass for sale. The reason is that I’m using my Shuker 5 a lot more, and I need to shift some basses and make some money – simply got too many (and too much money) tied up in them. This is pretty much my perfect jazz bass, but I can get by with my 75’ Jazz & Sadowsky.

So here it is. Built a couple of years ago by Jon Shuker, it is a slightly downsized (and therefore very comfy and not heavy) jazz bass with a slim neck modelled on a mid-seventies Fender Jazz.

The pickups are “single coils on steroids” Nordstrand Fatstacks. These are amazing sounding. Paired with Jon’s Shuker 3 band EQ (with, I believe,a mid sweep in the control cavity, but never had cause to use it) they are extremely versatile. [url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass+Pickup/product/Nordstrand/Fat+Stacks/10/1"]Reviews[/url][url="http://www.bestbassgear.com/nordstrand-pickups.htm"]Details[/url][url="http://blueberryhillbass.blogspot.com/2007/01/nordstrand-fat-stacks-vs-dual-coils.html"]Article[/url]

They are also switchable/series parallel, (coil tap) so as well as sounding like a Jazz bass, you can switch to a completely convincing Precision sound, especially if you just use the front pickup. This is an 18V preamp so very powerful and versatile with lots of headroom.

There is a AAAAA (5A) maple “drop-top” cap over a white ash body, with, of course, a matching headstock! There is a wetlook transparent blue topcoat.
34” scale – 20 frets.

It’s in almost perfect condition – the only problem (pictured) is a scratch on the headstock made my an errant string end. There is a little dink in the neck aswell but I can't actually feel it when playing.

The fingerboard is beautifully figured birdseye maple, with simple dot markers. It’s a 5 piece laminated rock maple fender style slab neck. There are blue LEDs down the side of the neck, with normal/extra bright switchability. The neck has a satin finish, and there is a two way truss rod with carbon fibre reinforcement.

There is also an Active/Off/Passive switch – and when in passive, the treble pot turns into a VTC (tone control) pot. Neat, eh?

There are Hipshot elephant ear tuners (all hardware is black, by the way) with individual bridge saddles. The nut is brass and adjustable (fantastic) and sprayed black though this is starting to wear, but not really noticeable.

The bass comes in a Shuker moulded hardcase in matching blue.

Basically, this is a magnificent instrument, which I’m not using enough to justify having, sadly.

I’m probably not open to offers, but I guess there’s no harm in trying.

This is still a tentative feeler – I’d be looking for £1200 or so, and I’ll ship fully insured and packed for free within the UK.
If you’d like to come and play it, feel free. I’m in Chelmsford, Essex, near A12/M25.
Enjoy the pics!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='627178' date='Oct 15 2009, 06:09 PM']It's cute that you got blue case fur too. :)[/quote]

It actually came with red liner, but when I got the red Shuker 5 I made sure I got a blue case :rolleyes: