Why become a member? ×

Guitar Emporium, for Jap Fenders...

AndyTravis

Hi...
I wonder if anyone has used these guys to buy grey market jap Fenders?
I really have to own one of the basses they have on there.
It's a 70's Jazz, 'old lake placid blue' with matching headstock, with the covers etc, or the Teal...or both.
But, is £999 a bit steep? What's the general opinion?

Thanks

Trav

Hi Andy,

The bass looks lovely, but the website seemed a little thrown together. There's no doubt that the Japanese basses are as good as the American versions (possibly better!?) I'd check they have the bass over here otherwise you could up waiting a long time for a delivery.

Didn't the Americans get a bit upset at the high quality of the Japanese ones?

Steve.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='625486' date='Oct 13 2009, 09:19 PM']Hi...
It's a 70's Jazz, 'old lake placid blue' with matching headstock, with the covers etc, or the Teal...or both.

Thanks

Trav[/quote]

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='625486' date='Oct 13 2009, 09:19 PM']Hi...

Thanks

Trav[/quote]

blame the exchange rate

Use the search function (top right) and wack in Guitar Emporium.

You'll find a decent number of threads, all positive. Malcolm is a top bloke, bought my Aerodyne through him.

[quote name='nash' post='625535' date='Oct 13 2009, 10:08 PM']blame the exchange rate[/quote]

Not quite, Fender Japan put their prices up late last year/early on this year by about 10-15% iirc as well so it really doesn't help either.

Edited by Buzz

Sorry to post in the negative as I'm sure Malcolm is a nice guy, but I tried to buy from them earlier this year and they couldn't get any of the three Jazz Basses I was after, this despite all three of the basses being advertised on their website. IMO Ishibashi are the better bet, it will cost much the same as GE at the end of the day, but Ishibashi provide a far greater range and much better service. Obviously the downside with Ishibashi is that you can't play before you buy.
Chris

I haven't used that supplier, but I extensively road-tested the MIA and CIJ Jaco fretless Jazzes and walked away with the CIJ. It's great that this is UK forum so I can really say that I sense that the CIJs are superior. In the end it was the tone of the CIJ that was more Jaco than the american version. indeed the first time i played a 80's CIJ Jazz fretless, I realised that it was the first time i had got that Jaco tone and believe me I have played 100's of basses.

Davo

[quote name='Beedster' post='629650' date='Oct 18 2009, 06:07 PM']Sorry to post in the negative as I'm sure Malcolm is a nice guy, but I tried to buy from them earlier this year and they couldn't get any of the three Jazz Basses I was after, this despite all three of the basses being advertised on their website. IMO Ishibashi are the better bet, it will cost much the same as GE at the end of the day, but Ishibashi provide a far greater range and much better service. Obviously the downside with Ishibashi is that you can't play before you buy.
Chris[/quote]

Are Ishibashi allowed to sell new stock to UK customers again now, Chris?

I emailed GE a few months ago and never got a reply,I've bought a 75 reissue Jazz and a 62 reissue P both CIJ from John at Far East Guitars and they have both been excellent quality and price. When I was GASSING after the 62 P bass, I emailed John and he kept me updated about incoming stock until he got the P bass I was after.