Why become a member? ×

valve amps

Finbar

Looking to buy a new head in the near future. Money is (virtually) no object. I will save for the right thing.

Basically I'm running an Ampeg SVP preamp into a poweramp right now, and I have the drive control maxed out, but it still isn't driving enough for me. I want an absolutely filthy sounding amp, that still sounds like I have control over it, not like I'm fighting against how noisy it is. The solid state power amp feels like its telling me to wind back a bit, whereas the valve amp I used to have felt like it was always encouraging me to push it more and more. So I'm definitely after a valve head. But I don't want something which only sounds good when you're running it at mega volume. Has to be able to do the same kind of sound at lower volumes too, for rehearsals and gigs where I need a lower onstage volume. So I was thinking of maybe a lower wattage head? I don't need or want 400 clean watts.

If you need an idea of what I want to sound like, listen to the first album by Glassjaw (Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence) and you'll have a very good idea. Checkitout:

Especially around 2:15 in that bass break. I know the album was recorded with a distortion pedal as well, but I reckon the right amp could squeeze that kind of tone out.

Current front runners are an SVT-II and the Matamp GT200 (especially tasty sounding, looking at the drive dial!). However, I really want to try out as many possibilities as possible. So if anyone has anything along these lines, would you consider letting me try it out so I can get somewhere closer to an informed decision? I'm in Sheffield.

Any help mega appreciated! :)

Edited by Finbar

[quote name='nash' post='621224' date='Oct 9 2009, 12:56 AM']how do you embed?[/quote]

See here - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=10414&view=findpost&p=110330"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=110330[/url]

Man, Manny's tone was so much better than the replacement bassist on Worship and Tribute though in general. As far as I know, EYEWTKAS was recorded through a Portaflex combo with a Proco Rat as well. Which is what is making me think of going down the SVT route!

If you want control over a filthy sounding amp then the Trace V8 is probably going to be of some interest. Channel switching between clean and dirty plus compressor. The dirty can be cleaned up as much as you want.

Alternatively there's the EBS Microbass II pedal into your SVT. Offers near identical channel switching plus active eq with sweepable mids, twin inputs, headphone out, effects loop, etc.

[quote name='retroman' post='621281' date='Oct 9 2009, 09:31 AM']I'm loving my SVT classic :wub:

For some seriously dirty, valve overdrive, how about the signature Marshall Lemmy Super Bass head? I've been sorely tempted, but it doesn't fit with my current bands sound, hence the SVT :rolleyes:[/quote]

I'd look at the 100w Marshall route although I don't think the Lemmy head is that much different from a normal superbass head which could expand your options some.

Here's a link to the Trace V8 site which has a 'for sale' section in case you have two grand to spare(!) [url="http://www.trace-elliot-v8.com/#ownerlist"]trace v8 owners[/url]

If money was no object my house would be full of amps & basses. :) Good luck!

Finbar, I agree with the tone with Glassjaw. I love their bass sound.

If you want my opinion, after wondering around the world of dirty tube amps, the Orange AD200b Mk3 is perfect for when you need a good dirty sound at levels where you still can hear the drums and guitar! Plus, if you want to push it louder, it will give you all the volume you want.

I never realised how loud a tube amp could be until I played around with it. At 1/3 master, 1/2 gain, its seriously loud with lots of volume left. The sheer low end 'heft' is insane.

I suggest the Orange or a dirty Matamp.

The problems with the Ampeg SVT CL is its weight, and the fact it has to be cranked a lot higher to give you real grit. I a/b'ed the Orange with the Ampeg CL and VR, and the Orange won hands down. Not only that, but the second hand market for Orange and Matamp is better, should you ever sell. Ampeg isnt as 'boutique' unless you get a vintage one.

No doubt a Matamp voiced to be dirty would be the same. :)

I'd look at guitar heads instead - 50W or 100W. I'd also consider using a pair of 1x12" cabs, or a 2x12" with separate wiring, so on quieter gigs you only use one 12" to lower the sensitivity of the rig and allow you to push the amp hard enough. And/or an amp that allows you to switch off pairs of valves for lower power.

Alex

[quote name='Musicman20' post='621302' date='Oct 9 2009, 09:03 AM']Finbar, I agree with the tone with Glassjaw. I love their bass sound.

If you want my opinion, after wondering around the world of dirty tube amps, the Orange AD200b Mk3 is perfect for when you need a good dirty sound at levels where you still can hear the drums and guitar! Plus, if you want to push it louder, it will give you all the volume you want.

I never realised how loud a tube amp could be until I played around with it. At 1/3 master, 1/2 gain, its seriously loud with lots of volume left. The sheer low end 'heft' is insane.

I suggest the Orange or a dirty Matamp.

The problems with the Ampeg SVT CL is its weight, and the fact it has to be cranked a lot higher to give you real grit. I a/b'ed the Orange with the Ampeg CL and VR, and the Orange won hands down. Not only that, but the second hand market for Orange and Matamp is better, should you ever sell. Ampeg isnt as 'boutique' unless you get a vintage one.

No doubt a Matamp voiced to be dirty would be the same. :)[/quote]

A GT200 with 83's in it has got to be the ultimate dirty sound for my money... but then I am biased :rolleyes:

I am of the view that the Matamp and Orange heads are very very similar.

I was playing a gig a few weeks back, and the headlining band, The Plight, (incredible modern rock n roll band with hardcore influences) had a GT200. The band before had the Orange AD200b.

As Im Fender biased, the Orange sounded better, as the GT200 had a Thunderbird plugged into it. But they BOTH sounded fantastic, boutique, and more importantly, very dirty. But not in a such a way that there was no clarity.

In a few years, im going to get a custom Matamp as well, so that way ill have both. Thats if London doesnt rinse me of all of my earnings!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='621422' date='Oct 9 2009, 10:57 AM']I am of the view that the Matamp and Orange heads are very very similar.[/quote]

you couldn't be further from the truth! they both started as the same company, but thats about the only resemblance they share nowadays! The circuitry and build quality are miles apart.

in regards to dirty though, have you ever cranked a hiwatt chris? if i were you i'd keep an eye out for a roost / vintage hiwatt / soundcity 120 or even nab that simm watts head that keeps appearing on ebay and let me do it up for you ;>

[quote name='umph' post='621465' date='Oct 9 2009, 11:37 AM']you couldn't be further from the truth! they both started as the same company, but thats about the only resemblance they share nowadays! The circuitry and build quality are miles apart.

in regards to dirty though, have you ever cranked a hiwatt chris? if i were you i'd keep an eye out for a roost / vintage hiwatt / soundcity 120 or even nab that simm watts head that keeps appearing on ebay and let me do it up for you ;>[/quote]

I know they are different inside, and the whole PTP argument, but the sound? On that night, very similar.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='621470' date='Oct 9 2009, 11:40 AM']I know they are different inside, and the whole PTP argument, but the sound? On that night, very similar.[/quote]
new orange amp (sorry can't find a picture of the ad200b guts but it will be very similar)
- also check out the cheapo bare minimum spec components these amps aren't built to last at all

orange 15 years ago

matamp nowadays (not the best since its a little rock but you get the point)

in my opinion orange are going to run that company into the ground, i've no idea how they've maintained the reputation for being similar to matamp qualitywise and soundwise nowadays but it frustrates me as you can tell ;p

theres no sound difference between PTP and PCB other than its easier to get a noiseless and humfree layout if you do it PTP

PTP is alot easier to work on / fix than pcbs to.

Edited by umph

[quote name='umph' post='621465' date='Oct 9 2009, 11:37 AM']you couldn't be further from the truth! they both started as the same company, but thats about the only resemblance they share nowadays! The circuitry and build quality are miles apart.

in regards to dirty though, have you ever cranked a hiwatt chris? if i were you i'd keep an eye out for a roost / vintage hiwatt / soundcity 120 or even nab that simm watts head that keeps appearing on ebay and let me do it up for you ;>[/quote]

+100 on the hiwatt or simms both glorious sounding amps although you will need to sit something in front of the simms to get a real dirty sound. For me the Matamp won for a few reasons not least of which is that the amp is custom built to get the sound and features you want I wonder what the resonse would have been from Orange if I had bought one of their amps and then gone back a fortnight later and said "actually the sound is a bit too dirty for me at higher volumes could you see if you can tweek it for me" This is exactly what happened with matamp and they told me to take the amp in the following day where it spent 4 or 5 hours on the bench being fine tuned by Hayden and Andrew

I can't sing their praises enough to be honest... not the cheapest amps but worth every penny for the quality of product and service

Oh heck, I didnt want to ruin the thread with a 'VS' topic.

The customer service Ive got from Orange has been absolutely amazing. Yes, they do produce them in much larger numbers, and yes I agree the Matamp after service sounds great. But, there has to be a reason why I was drawn to the Orange, and that was tone. I never thought I'd go down the Orange route until I inspected the amp, then heard it a a low then high volume. I was sold. Plus, it is one of the most striking amps I have seen.

IMO, the Orange + Matamp amps are some of the best tube amps built nowadays. I rate them both much higher than Ampeg; at least they are based in the UK thus much easier to get sorted out.

As soon as I bought mine, I realised 2-3 of my favourite bands, including Converge, ETID and Alk Trio all use the AD200b Mk3, and they have awesome tone when Ive seen them live.

Edited by Musicman20

Also check out the Marshall VBA400. Bit of the underdog compared to the Orange and Matamp but still a killer amp and is mosterously loud!! I used to have one and it was as dirty as you wanted + more and still had good clarity. Only reason i sold up is the £200+ bill to re valve the damn thing (8 x 6550 tubes) OUCH!

PS if you can find a Trace Elliot V4,6 or 8. none of the above will come into it! hehe.

There really is no substitute for shear volume to get that grinding dirt sound, but nowadays its just off limits for most of us. A JTM45 Marshall guitar amp turned up full with a Ric, no pedals, just pure nasty.

I think Steve-norris had a Trace V4 for sale recently, this will go really really nasty dirty.