Why become a member? ×

It's been a strange year

northstreet

There's not really any point to this thread but I just wanted to write it down to help me work out what's been going on.

About a year ago a guitarist mate and I decided to form a band. We started advertising for a drummer and a singer and one of the places we tried was musofinder.com. While I was on the site I created myself a profile, just to see what might happen. Shortly after I get a message saying would I be able to dep in a local covers band (Band A) that had a couple of gigs lined up but their bass player was out of action. "Nothing to lose" I thought, so I went along for an audition and ended up getting the gig. So we start rehearsing. Then, the guitarist in Band A says that he plays in another covers band (Band B ) that also has a Christmas gig and needed a dep bass player - would I be interested? Now up till then I hadn't gigged for 30 years and all of a sudden I'm in two bands learning two new sets of songs with three gigs lined up - all in the space of about six weeks. Suprisingly it all goes off OK, everyone's happy, and after Christmas the leader of Band B calls me up and asks if I want to join full time - their bass player has moved on. It's a good band so I say yes and we've been gigging regularly all year. Band A have also called me up a couple of times, so that's kept me busy.

On top of this, in Feb I call another contact through musofinder, a guy is trying to put together a band, am I interested? No harm in having a look, I thought, so I go to a first get together. Turns out the guy is a bit of a waster, it's never going to happen, but I hit it off with the drummer. Afterwards we get talking and he says he knows some else who's trying to form an originals band and would like to along to a rehearsal? Makes a change from covers, I thought, so I go along just to see. They've got some nice songs, and so when they offer me the gig I say yes immediately. You can see us at the Bull & Gate in Kentish Town on 16 Nov - Random Patrols - our first gig.

Going back to the band I was originally trying to put together, that's come together really well and we've done a couple of gigs with a couple more hopefully lined up. This one's been more like hard work because none of the guys had ever gigged before so it's all had to be presented on a plate to them a bit, but it's getting better.

Anyway, just when I think everything's settled down, the leader of Band B (remember them) calls me up to say there's been a cockup with a booking, he now can't make a gig he actually arranged, but he's a got a mate's band to cover. But, you guessed it, theiir bass player can't make it so would I dep for them! I believe it's called deja vu.

What's really odd about this is that I'm not even very good - steady and reliable are the most appropriate adjectives I would use. Nearly anyone could play me off the stage. Turning up on time, learning the songs, and remembering you're rhythym not lead seem to have got me a long way.

If you're still reading then I admire your endurance. And, if there is a moral to this story, it's if you're sitting in your bedroom saying to yourself you want to play in a band, then go for it.

Absolutely agree - I joined my first band since my teen years in 2005 when I was 42. I'm really not very good but pretty OK at time-keeping and playing root notes reasonably fast (I am in a punk band). I too turn up on time and make all the band practices, despite demanding job and family. I have no idea about music theory (no clue what constitutes a G sus4 or a mixolydian scale?) There are loads of guys on BC who are clearly much more technically proficient than me but I manage to have a lot of fun and our band gets regular gigs and has even recorded an album.

So I concur with your sentiments 100%

[quote name='northstreet' post='620058' date='Oct 7 2009, 10:42 PM']What's really odd about this is that I'm not even very good - steady and reliable are the most appropriate adjectives I would use. Nearly anyone could play me off the stage. Turning up on time, learning the songs, and remembering you're rhythym not lead seem to have got me a long way.

If you're still reading then I admire your endurance. And, if there is a moral to this story, it's if you're sitting in your bedroom saying to yourself you want to play in a band, then go for it.[/quote]

Great story! Thanks for sharing. I've quoted the bits that I think everyone should remember. :)

[quote name='northstreet' post='620058' date='Oct 7 2009, 10:42 PM']What's really odd about this is that I'm not even very good - steady and reliable are the most appropriate adjectives I would use. Nearly anyone could play me off the stage. Turning up on time, learning the songs, and remembering you're rhythym not lead seem to have got me a long way.

....if there is a moral to this story, it's if you're sitting in your bedroom saying to yourself you want to play in a band, then go for it.[/quote]
and also all those things you mentioned in the preceding paras. Surely most what bands want is just that, a solid reliable rhythm section to hold it all together. Not everyone wants or needs a virtuoso Pastorius, Sheehan or King going nineteen to the dozen - and before you all flame me for that yes I do realise that all three can tone it down and play what's needed.

Nice one

[EDIT]....and then TheFunk beat me too it :)

Edited by WalMan

I am always getting requests through places like musofinder, bandmix, etc. There are tonnes of people out there in need of bass players.

I'm not really interested in most of the stuff that I get offered (cover/tribute and/or blues-rock, mostly) but I'm busy enough with the two that I was interested in.

I imagine if there are any bassists here without a gig it must be because they don't want one. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='620150' date='Oct 8 2009, 12:06 AM']I imagine if there are any bassists here without a gig it must be because they don't want one. :)[/quote]

With work getting busy I've had to turn down 3 good ones, including 1 MD/bass gig. It saddens me a little but I have to be realistic about how I spend my time during a recession.

Edited by The Funk

Some good stories here :lol:

It's been a strange year in the world of the retrodude :lol:

Wound up having to quit work, as bullying and harrasment by the management quite literally drove me nuts............ :lol:

Sold my monster Trace Elliot V Type full rig, as I was completely disheartened with the whole band thing :lol:

Started switching to playing one of those weird things, with six tiny strings on them :)

In some respects, pretty much at one of the all time lowest points of my life. BUT....every cloud does have a sliver lining! :lol: I now find myself playing bass in a really good originals band, and we have a really good agent behind us, that is working very hard behind the scenes, and has even managed to book us a TV appearance in 2010! :rolleyes: Very lucky to be playing with two very tallented guys as well. I didn't even see it coming to be honest!

Just goes to show, you never can tell what's just round the corner :lol:

If you're still reading then I admire your endurance. And, if there is a moral to this story, it's if you're sitting in your bedroom saying to yourself you want to play in a band, then go for it.[/quote]

+1 to all that. I joined my first band back in January and I'm loving it. I can't improvise for toffee - the guitarist comes in with a new song idea, I get the root notes then I work out the embellishments at home ready for next practice. I think I'm getting better though - the newest song was practically completed in 1 practice session, maybe I just liked the song and got into it. Or maybe I'm improving?

I would guess that being honest, reliable, punctual, having wheels, being able to hack up myspace pages, and basically not being a dick will stand you in good stead with the vast majority of people out there.

Bottom line is that I play what sounds good, but I don't know WHY it sounds good (beyond "it's probably one of the notes in the chord"). I'd like to get into that eventually.

[quote name='OldGit' post='620076' date='Oct 7 2009, 11:01 PM']Excellent. Once you can play it's all about being on the same page and reliable, friendly, personable and doing the ground work...[/quote]

Absolutely - and as some wise person once said "half of success in life is based on just showing up on time..." being punctual goes a hell of a long way believe me! No matter how you good you are there's no excuse for being really late to rehearsals/gigs whatever - and being an egotistical twat is also inexcusable - I don't care how good you are - your sh*t stinks just like everybody's does... as Doug Wimbish once said (in a Bassist interview many moons ago).

M

What a great motivational post! I've just quit a band who have lacked any kind of direction or steady line-up in the last 12 months and have had couple of successful auditions for bands this week. I'd love to find out that these bands get me further dep gigs like you've mentioned. What a result!

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='620301' date='Oct 8 2009, 11:05 AM']I imagine if there are any bassists here without a gig it must be because they don't want one. :)

Hmm, thats not strictly true or fair! I'm still learning and when I feel confident enough in my playing I'll give it a go, just not yet!
SOON![/quote]
The sooner the better! If not gigging, then at least playing/rehearsing in a band. I was conned into joining a combo (only roots and fifths they said!) but I soon realised that what I couldn't do at rehearsal (the 'fiddly' bits), I could practise at home for the next week. Then, when you put it all together and play live it's ... indescribable :rolleyes:

Just do it.

[quote name='northstreet' post='620058' date='Oct 7 2009, 10:42 PM']....What's really odd about this is that I'm not even very good....[/quote]
Sounds like you're better than you think! Keep doing more of the same. Here's hoping for more good luck in 2010!