Why become a member? ×

Ever get funny looks...

BottomEndian

When there's background music on (and I run a shop, so that's pretty much my whole working life), I tend to hum along to the basslines. It's what I'm naturally interested in, and it's where my ear naturally goes. Only thing is, I've had quite a few odd looks (and one or two comments from friends) -- it's like people can't realise that what I'm humming isn't supposed to be the vocal melody. I guess they think I'm completely musically challenged or mad or something.

We have one member of staff, and thankfully she finds it kind of endearing -- she sees it as yet another of my idiosyncrasies. :) But she had to ask me what the hell I was humming before she saw the light.

Anybody else get this?

[Interestingly -- or not -- back when I spent a lot of time singing tenor in choirs, I'd find myself inventing inner harmony lines to stuff I was listening to. So I guess we just sing what we're actively pursuing at the time.]

No, but my girlfriend had an odd one the other day: She took a mix CD into work (she's a drama teacher) to stick on while something or other was going on, and one of the kids was surprised when she told them it was several different bands because he thought they all sounded similar. My girlfriend was busy telling her that there's nothing similar about the tunes on this CD when another lad - who plays bass - piped up and said "It's because they've all got good bass lines, Miss".

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='612125' date='Sep 29 2009, 04:02 PM']No, but my girlfriend had an odd one the other day: She took a mix CD into work (she's a drama teacher) to stick on while something or other was going on, and one of the kids was surprised when she told them it was several different bands because he thought they all sounded similar. My girlfriend was busy telling her that there's nothing similar about the tunes on this CD when another lad - who plays bass - piped up and said "It's because they've all got good bass lines, Miss".[/quote]

...that kid's going to get an A in drama.

S.P.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='612125' date='Sep 29 2009, 04:02 PM']No, but my girlfriend had an odd one the other day: She took a mix CD into work (she's a drama teacher) to stick on while something or other was going on, and one of the kids was surprised when she told them it was several different bands because he thought they all sounded similar. My girlfriend was busy telling her that there's nothing similar about the tunes on this CD when another lad - who plays bass - piped up and said "It's because they've all got good bass lines, Miss".[/quote]
Has he been recruited to the BC fold?

Generally tend to tap the drum-lines, so maybe I'm playing the wrong instument. Earwigging a good bassline tend to make take up the "funky stance / walk"
Exception is vocal basslines on Doo-wop records, can never resist singing along to those!

Dook / dook / dook / dook of Earl / dook / dook....... etc :)

I do it all the time and often get odd looks. I 'become a bass player' mentally a few years before I bought my first bass as I started to listen to music differently - from the rhythm point of view. No idea why, as I had previously played guitar and always listened to melody, but I guess that change is why I started playing bass.

Also I am aware of humming or singing the bass line while playing it - not a conscious thing - anyone else do that? maybe I'll start another thread on that to save hijacking this one.