Why become a member? ×

Pelican crossing beeping noise from bass

Dubhghaill

I had a similar thing happen to my rig a few years ago. It only happened when i was hooked up to a PA via my DI out.
My bass was feeding back and it was quite worrying.

Does it go if you move away from the amp?

Just a thought. It could and probably is something completely different.

Edited by dave_bass5

It could be the shielding. I stuck another battery in the back to 18v mod it - and the battery holder thing only has room for one battery. Next time I'll remove one of the batteries and try again :)

There are two new batteries in there, so they're not getting low.

As for feedback, etc. I don't think that was the cause. The noise seemed to be the same wherever I stood in the room.

It's certainly some kind of feedback as the signal seems to grow. Reminds me of an old analogue BBD echo device overloading. You need to try removing one thing from the signal at a time until you find out what is causing it, I realise this may not be practical.

[quote name='ezbass' post='611040' date='Sep 28 2009, 05:27 PM']It's certainly some kind of feedback as the signal seems to grow. Reminds me of an old analogue BBD echo device overloading. You need to try removing one thing from the signal at a time until you find out what is causing it, I realise this may not be practical.[/quote]

Yeah, to my ears its not a beeping but a swirling noise.

About a year or so ago,my Washburn Status(which was an active bass) kept playing BBC World Service through my
amp at band practice. :) The eventual outcome ,was that my circuitboard was knackered.
I was given a choice by mr. Repairman ,either get new pickups...or if the existing Status pickups
are strong enough remove the circuitboard leaving the control knobs redundant.

I went for the latter,and the band ,plus repairman prefer the sound much more. :lol:

BTW most of you probably know,but if you wanna be silly you could put your
mobile phone next to the pickups and annoy the rest of your band/audience with a ringtone of your choice.. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='611050' date='Sep 28 2009, 05:35 PM']Might be your watch, is it flashing in time or something? JoeGarcias watch did the same trick, but clickier.[/quote]
I have an analogue watch. Self winding too, no batteries or electrics in there.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='611153' date='Sep 28 2009, 07:31 PM']Yeah, to my ears its not a beeping but a swirling noise.[/quote]
I think that might be the digital camera's cheap microphone. It sounded like a beeping at the time.

[quote name='ped' post='611159' date='Sep 28 2009, 07:38 PM']It's probably that Wispa Gold.[/quote]
:)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='611293' date='Sep 28 2009, 09:21 PM']Lets not forget the OP said it doesn't happen with his POD so it could be specific to that rehearsal room or rig.[/quote]
Yeah, and I plugged directly into the PA and it didn't happen, so it must be just that amp. Perhaps my signal is too hot?

[quote name='Dubhghaill' post='611732' date='Sep 29 2009, 10:44 AM']Yeah, and I plugged directly into the PA and it didn't happen, so it must be just that amp. Perhaps my signal is too hot?[/quote]

Going back to my issue i think it was an earthing problem at the venue. Once i disconnected the DI cable my feedback stopped. In fact it only happened if i didnt have both pups full up on my passive Jazz.
It could be a badly earthed amp or studio. We once rehearsed in a studio where i was getting the vocals coming out of the bass rig. In fact i remember we were also getting some music from another room coming out of the amps as well.

Edited by dave_bass5